Red Diesel

tjr1234

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

where has that come from?

are people just making stuff up now? 
there’s no such charge  🤷‍♀️

no wonder you’re giving money  away

Thats the boatyards idea, not mine, i usually pay £1pl, though when prices were unstable i think it went to £1.25 ( £1.45 propulsion) .

It would not be a good idea to argue with the vendor imho.

Edited by LadyG

I believe what LadyG is referring to, is that some vendors won't allow a 100% domestic declaration if you're clearly a CCer (how they'd know, unless you told them, I don't know.....or maybe they guessed from the stuff on the roof). Or if you are clearly travelling in the boat, ie you stop at a marina but its not your mooring.

Of course, the way the rules are structured is that its the responsibility of the boater to correctly declare the split, and its nothing to do with the vendor. Neither can/should they restrict the availability of splits. Their only legal obligation is to record the boat number and some other personal details as required by legislation on red diesel sales to boats.

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I believe what LadyG is referring to, is that some vendors won't allow a 100% domestic declaration if you're clearly a CCer (how they'd know, unless you told them, I don't know.....or maybe they guessed from the stuff on the roof). Or if you are clearly travelling in the boat, ie you stop at a marina but its not your mooring.

Of course, the way the rules are structured is that its the responsibility of the boater to correctly declare the split, and its nothing to do with the vendor. Neither can/should they restrict the availability of splits. Their only legal obligation is to record the boat number and some other personal details as required by legislation on red diesel sales to boats.

The marina know me, i used to have a berth there, and ive bought diesel from them a few times.

PS I absolutely avoid puting  tree branches or any other stuff on my roof.

PPS Ive moved four times this month, six times if i include trips to waterpoints!

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I’m sure they stopped doing diesel a while ago, maybe a few years, I’m sure the diesel point pontoon is now a permanent mooring. 

Oh dear,

hopefully the OP will come back and tell us how they got on,

a bit annoying when they ask for immediate help but can’t be arsed to let us know the result,

hey ho, 

17 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Oh dear,

hopefully the OP will come back and tell us how they got on,

a bit annoying when they ask for immediate help but can’t be arsed to let us know the result,

hey ho, 

well @tjr1234 was here yesterday

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

I seem to recall someone queried this with HMRC when the split declaration was first introduced. They said that it was permitted for suppliers to sell only at a fixed split if they wished. In which case the customer either has to accept the supplier's split or buy elsewhere.

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You sign a tax declaration and don't know what you signed for?

I am condemned to Hades:  last time as I recall it was blasting down with wind and rain,  I just put cash in a polybag and handed it over, aargh!!

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, Paul C said:

I believe what LadyG is referring to, is that some vendors won't allow a 100% domestic declaration 

This is the case at a marina near my home berth  where they will only sell at the  60/40 if its going  into a boat. But they will allow 100% domestic if its a small quantity like 20L  going into a can/tub. 

6 hours ago, tjr1234 said:

They don't sell diesel anymore and have no plans to in the future

Cheers for letting us know,

it’s a proper surprise they won’t sell diesel. 

sorry if I was impatient with your reply 👍I sometimes get over excited. 

are you going over to Manchester?

I think Hebden is the last place for diesel until way past Manchester somewhere🤷‍♀️

In the marina here they only give a 60/40 split, they are leisure moorings, it is assumed that you will use your engine at some point. A couple of boats without engines get 100%.

3 minutes ago, Peanut said:

In the marina here they only give a 60/40 split, they are leisure moorings, it is assumed that you will use your engine at some point. A couple of boats without engines get 100%.

are they legal doing that?

the onus is on the buyer/boater,

ain’t it?

So why are some marinas arsey about it?

They have to pass the duty on, or perhaps they’re unscrupulous and keep it? 🤔

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

I seem to recall someone queried this with HMRC when the split declaration was first introduced. They said that it was permitted for suppliers to sell only at a fixed split if they wished. In which case the customer either has to accept the supplier's split or buy elsewhere.

answers

58 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

are they legal doing that?

the onus is on the buyer/boater,

ain’t it?

So why are some marinas arsey about it?

They have to pass the duty on, or perhaps they’re unscrupulous and keep it? 🤔

Their marina, their rules, if you don't like it you know what to do.  You have no security of tenure, if you rock the boat, you are the one who will fall out.

The price for the diesel that we put in our boats includes 11.14p per litre lower rate of duty.  This is part of the purchase cost paid by the vendor.  The declaration that we make is for the percentage of the higher rate of duty which is charged on propulsion.  The total duty for a litre of fuel for propulsion is 57.95p, so the percentage applies to the difference between the two duty rates of 46.81p.  VAT on fuel used for heating is 5% but it is 20% on fuel used for propulsion.

16 hours ago, tjr1234 said:

They don't sell diesel anymore and have no plans to in the future

I wonder why.

Economic reasons, too much hassle, or tired of fending off aggressive geezers in Transit vans and flatbeds trying to save a few schillings?

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I bet you'd get an assortment of petroleum products there !!!!

Oilswell that ends well.

7 hours ago, AI Rowboat said:

I wonder why.

Economic reasons, too much hassle, or tired of fending off aggressive geezers in Transit vans and flatbeds trying to save a few schillings?

They don’t make enough on it, so not worth selling and too much hassle to maintain the service, The owner is not really bothered about boaters, just wants to fill the moorings and take their money, but not provide any services, just like his other Marinas at Shepley Bridges and Sheffield. Basically an absent Landlord.. 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1