Featured Posts

Is it a Hudson Boat? 

I was going to say they did an ok job keeping the Boobun yard looking alright but if there is a Huddy there I may reserve a different view. 

:rolleyes:

It is the main cabin portholes. Flat rather than raised. I'm sure other makers also used these but I associate them with Glascote. 

I remember a blue Boat called Sentinel moored there and that had an even more ridiculous bow to be fair. 

The owner of City of Gloucester was top man at BWB, David Fletcher so he had pick of numbers, we all have a lot to thank him for, free passage through Standedge tunnel, Anderton lift and few more that BWB wanted to charge for.

• Greenie 4

I remember the day that Waterways Ian and others were commissioning Sentinel's engine down in Berko.

You could almost surf on the wash and they weren't even moving 🤔

That's a four pot BM in SENTINEL. I liked it better when 50' though. Steered well astern.

110TychoMayPICT0120(Medium).JPG.209cf8aa48141d7c713dc1452843cf4d.JPG

TYCHO was tied abreast for a week, prior to setting off to Braunston. I came back at the end of the week to find her on the towpath side. Apparently the trip boat steerer complained about 'reduced width' available . . . . go figure.

SENTINELs' back end was as 'interesting' as the front. Modelled after a steamer I hear.

111TychoMayPICT0121(Medium).JPG.de89686fb067a37b2476e6550e4c12b9.JPG

114TychoMayPICT0124(Medium).JPG.4a9b1b0581e9625fabb05992253646bd.JPG

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Was Tycho's ram the inspiration for Sentinel's pinched bow?

I don't think so David, though Sentinel and her two (I think) sisters were built to break ice, Ian will have the full story on that. They were built in the early seventies if memory serves, slightly barrel shaped down to the chine, may have carried beer in casks at one point possibly around Trent lock. Certainly an acquired taste in fore ends.

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Certainly an acquired taste in fore ends.

..... and in rear ends!

The whole thing was frankly a Marmite boat.

I wonder where it has ended up.