Leak

bluelapsing

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No Trigger's broom but as I have 3 working full time on boats they do eventually need a belt or a pulsation damper, the rubber eventually perishes.  But consider that they are all at least 28 years old! Makes your 6 years look like very poor value for money.

Quality costs but you only get what you pay for.  I have changed 2 Jabsco Max 29 pumps for folk already this year, both only 3 or 4 years old.

I would agree, had you known A] You would be onboard for 28 years B]. That you could get spares for that length of time (or bought them up front) and C] That the pump would last that long, you might have a point. However, assuming, at todays prices your pump cost 700 quid, and mine 100 quid, that 7 x 6= 42 years of pumps.

Mine aint doing too bad afterall, and if I drop dead in the next 10 years, i'm quids in.

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would agree, had you known A] You knew you would be onboard for 28 years B]. You knew that you could get spares for that length of time (or bought them up front) and C] That you knew the pump would last that long, you might have a point. However, assuming, at todays prices your pump cost 700 quid, and mine 100 quid, that 7 x 6= 42 years of pumps.

Mine aint doing too bad afterall, and if I drop dead in the next 10 years, i'm quids in.

We live in hope.

Like others I don't like that rigid connector and instructions normally want a flexible connection twix pump and pipework (as others have suggested) Also I like to mount the pump in an ally cooking tray, it catches water from leaks and make the search for same easier.

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No Trigger's broom but as I have 3 working full time on boats they do eventually need a belt or a pulsation damper, the rubber eventually perishes.  But consider that they are all at least 28 years old! Makes your 6 years look like very poor value for money.

Quality costs but you only get what you pay for.  I have changed 2 Jabsco Max 29 pumps for folk already this year, both only 3 or 4 years old.

Last pump I fitted was a Seaflow, cheaper than the others but so far has outlasted them.

My Sureflo has started to weep from the body after at least 9 months continuous use over 4 years. I have bought another to replace it. It is worth having a shop around on eBay. My replacement was around £100 and is a direct replacement. Mine is properly mounted with flexible pipes adjacent to the pump as per the instructions but I’ve heard that they are prone to leak from the body anyway and a leak detector or lunchbox (or both) sounds sensible if like mine it’s buried in a locker

13 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

My Sureflo has started to weep from the body after at least 9 months continuous use over 4 years

I'm not surprised it has failed if in continuous use for such a long period of time. I'm not sure they are designed to be used in an uninterrupted manner.

On 06/02/2024 at 17:27, Tracy D'arth said:

Those pumps are rubbish now, in fact all that type of 3 chamber squash plate pumps are rubbish, Jabsco or even worse, Shurflo. The plastic distorts and they leak from the joint. 

My jabsco parmax3 worked fine for 13 years (liveaboard) without a problem until I replaced it with a higher pressure version of the same pump only in order to get my instant gas water heater working properly. I've kept it as a spare. There's nothing wrong with jabsco pumps in my experience.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not surprised it has failed if in continuous use for such a long period of time. I'm not sure they are designed to be used in an uninterrupted manner.

If it was left on continuously I don’t fancy its chances after an hour never mind 9months. They are not rated continuously so if you want it to run for any length of time you need to monitor the temperature of the motor. If you want to be pedantic mine was used daily for normal showering, washing etc for around at least 250 days. My view is that the Shureflo should be considered a consumable but they are not expensive and very easy to change. When I empty my water tank for winter I pump out around 20 litres at a time and give it 10 minutes cooling before pumping a further 20 litres. I also point a fan heater on cold at it

At the end of the day some bits of my boat will outlive me but others won’t. You pays your money

On 08/02/2024 at 17:46, bluelapsing said:

Evening all,

Happy ending (sorry) - pump has been replaced and the leak has stopped!! Apparently the old wiring was terrible so that's been fixed, too

Thanks for all ur help 🙏

Don't forget to check under the flooring (Bilge) to see how much water is there that will need to be removed.

On 08/02/2024 at 17:46, bluelapsing said:

Evening all,

Happy ending (sorry) - pump has been replaced and the leak has stopped!! Apparently the old wiring was terrible so that's been fixed, too

Thanks for all ur help 🙏

Did you amend the piping so its not at an angle where it enters thre pump,  putting the joint under pressure, or better still fit some flexible pipe?