What a load of bollards!

Midnight

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Sometimes???
Nice bloke, shame about the keyboard. 

Yeah well, I just get hacked off with people who can't even be bothered to read something -- especially from CART -- before automatically slagging them off on CWDF.

If it's justified, fine, fill yer boots, give 'em a good kicking. But otherwise it's no better than the incensed readers of the Daily Wail objecting to something they don't actually know about but falls into their "I disapprove regardless" bin... 😞

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

it is a caricature of an actual mooring bollard. Like you see in picture books. 

Exactly. Like we tend to see in cartoons such as Popeye the Sailorman. 

9 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

No I can’t,

you turn every thread into an argument. 

👜 & 🌅 

At least I don't do it with sniping and personal attacks -- unlike some I try and play the ball, not the man... 😉

• Horror 1

It seems odd asking disabled people to design mooring bollards. 

A better approach may be to educate them on how to tie the Boat up regardless of what hardware there is. 

Otherwise they will be lost when they find somewhere without the special Popeye bollards. 

Then where does it go?

Its a bit like allowing the customer to dictate how the Boat is built when they are not qualified to do this. 

The result so often is simply bad Boats. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

A better approach may be to educate them on how to tie the Boat up regardless of what hardware there is. 

Otherwise they will be lost when they find somewhere without the special Popeye bollards. 

Then where does it go?

Popeye bollards all along both sides of all locks naturally.

Then to stop people (including able-bodied and miniature) falling in, local councillors will demand 'safety' chains looped from the top of every bollard to the next.

Stands to reason dunnit. 

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

They weren't asked to design mooring bollards. A group of disabled boaters came up with the idea themselves and proposed it to CRT.

And without commenting on the merits or otherwise of this particular design, surely it is better that disabled people should have some input into the design of facilities intended for them, rather than just having something imposed from someone (able bodied) on high who "knows best".

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

you do not!!!

you 🤡

I attack what you and others say, not you personally -- I don't call you a clown, or an idiot, or mention handbags or turning everything into an argument, I point out that if someone comments on something without having read it they're just spouting uninformed opinion -- and go on to make other statements which are just plain wrong because they don't look at facts, such as what reduced visual ability does to people and why particular colours might be chosen.

If people don't want pushback when they make statements like these, they should go and find out the facts first. Though I know magnetman has stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't believe in reading things other people write, if he's going to criticise an article like the CART one then perhaps he should at least read it first, even if he doesn't read anything else...

Edited by IanD
subject corrected

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They weren't asked to design mooring bollards. A group of disabled boaters came up with the idea themselves and proposed it to CRT.

And without commenting on the merits or otherwise of this particular design, surely it is better that disabled people should have some input into the design of facilities intended for them, rather than just having something imposed from someone (able bodied) on high who "knows best".

Are these moorings reserved for people with blue badges? 

I am eligible for a blue badge but am able bodied ;) as they say not all disabilities are visible. 

What about people who have physical problems but no blue badge? 

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Then where does it go?

Its a bit like allowing the customer to dictate how the Boat is built when they are not qualified to do this. 

The result so often is simply bad Boats. 

I think these are intended for specifically designated disabled moorings only. Which would also highlight them as such.

• Greenie 2

ETA I realise now that the colour scheme is part of the CRT branding. Like the enormously clever sinking tyre logo which replaced the terribly inappropriate and boring swan and bridge logo. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

ETA I realise now that the colour scheme is part of the CRT branding. Like the enormously clever sinking tyre logo which replaced the terribly inappropriate and boring swan and bridge logo. 

Blue and yellow is a recommended contrasting colour combination for people with varying visual disabilities including colour and contrast deficiencies, because they're opposite on a CMYK colour diagram -- (darker) blue is magenta and cyan with no (lighter) yellow, see here. Yes it involves reading... 😉

https://media.rnib.org.uk/documents/Colour_and_contrast_for_people_with_sight_loss_2020.pdf

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upload/preserve/museums/files/Accessibility Resources.pdf

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Blue and yellow is a recommended contrasting colour combination for people with varying visual disabilities including colour and contrast deficiencies, because they're opposite on a CMYK colour diagram -- (darker) blue is magenta and cyan with no (lighter) yellow, see P.13:

https://media.rnib.org.uk/documents/Colour_and_contrast_for_people_with_sight_loss_2020.pdf

And there is a historical precedent for blue and yellow canal stuff:

BW BULLS BRIDGE GUC RIVER CLASS AXE MB AYNHO PURTON COLOUR.jpg

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Would that equate to other structures used by able bodied boaters like swing bridges possibly.

7 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Would that equate to other structures used by able bodied boaters like swing bridges possibly.

Of course there aren't any swing bridges purely targeted at disabled boaters, unlike these bollards... 😉

Apart from the usual accessibility issues -- ramps not steps where possible and so on -- it's not easy to see how a historical canal system can be made much more accessible to disabled boaters, any more than it can be made to meet modern health and safety targets -- for starters locks are potentially lethal, most paddle gear is pretty unsafe, lock ladders and steps are definitely not wheelchair-friendly...

However if a little something can be done to make life easier for the disabled without costing a fortune then surely this isn't such a bad thing -- and these bollards (where appropriate!) seem to be just that.

Which is why I don't understand why the idea is attracting such a negative response from some posters... 😞

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Well, I was going to engage with someone and then decided it was better if I didn’t. 

(Then later I couldn’t control myself and I did engage with that person,

and I really wish I hadn’t). (Arrrgh)

If you can't stand the heat... 😉

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you can't stand the heat... 😉

.....put them on ignore?

Well that's what you do isn't it. 🤡