The Liverpool Link -

Nelly Mac

Featured Posts

am i correct that the Liverpool Link, down the Stanley Dock Locks and onto CRTs moorings at Salthouse, is only available 'in season' April-October ?  I cant even find it on their Bookings page (unlike other seasonal passages such as the Anderton) 

thanks 

I made a post about that a couple of weeks ago, as I would like to book it.   I believe it is just the summer that it is open, but as you say it is missing totally from the bookings site, not even that the bookings are not open yet like some other bookable facilities.

So I don’t know it take means it is permanently shut or that you no longer need to book it.  Given the limited availability of moorings I can’t see the latter being the case, so I just don’t know what it means.

• Greenie 1

It was listed as Liverpool Canal Link and Salthouse Docks in 2022 when we last visited. 

Under Stoppages, under Liverpool Link is https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23941-booking-information-liverpool-canal-link-and-salthouse-dock-liverpool.

There was also a stoppage that closed the Stanley locks that should have finished now but has not been updated. Perhaps work is running over and bookings continue to be suspended until a known date for opening is available.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

It was listed as Liverpool Canal Link and Salthouse Docks in 2022 when we last visited. 

Under Stoppages, under Liverpool Link is https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23941-booking-information-liverpool-canal-link-and-salthouse-dock-liverpool.

There was also a stoppage that closed the Stanley locks that should have finished now but has not been updated. Perhaps work is running over and bookings continue to be suspended until a known date for opening is available.

Maybe just another C&RT cockup. The Standedge Tunnel is closed until Easter but still bookable as it the Ribble Link etc.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I have seen that notice, but to me that just says that it is not available in the winter, not that it will never be available.  It even points you to the site to book it, but you can’t when you go there.

Even if there were works overrunning, I would not think it would remive it, you would just make all the days unavailable, like the Ribble Link is until the opening days have been determined

I phoned them about this yesterday. There is just some administrative delay -trying to decide on the daily charge for one- and it will be up on the website in the not too distant future once they’ve got their ducks in a row. 

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I phoned them about this yesterday. There is just some administrative delay -trying to decide on the daily charge for one- and it will be up on the website in the not too distant future once they’ve got their ducks in a row. 

Thanks Nick

2 hours ago, pearley said:

But only for a complete 5 month period.

Thanks, it’s not cheap either, including a mandatory daily £7 electricity charge. All in the Winter mooring section as below 

It’s not all the mooring but presumably the same applies. Doesn’t help with the after 1st April but Nicknorman has answered that one. 

“This year the Winter Mooring site at Salthouse Docks Visitor Mooring is for five months from 1 November 2023 - 31 March 2024, however boats must arrive by 30 October 2023 and will not be able to leave until 1 April 2024, due to the closure of the Liverpool Link Canal between 31 October 2023 and 31 March 2024. Winter Moorings at this location are only available for the complete five month period. Electricity is provided at Salthouse Dock winter mooring, there is a mandatory daily fee of £7 (in addition to the winter mooring fee) that is chargeable for the duration of your winter mooring. This will be invoiced separately.”

9 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Thanks, it’s not cheap either, including a mandatory daily £7 electricity charge. All in the Winter mooring section as below 

It’s not all the mooring but presumably the same applies. Doesn’t help with the after 1st April but Nicknorman has answered that one. 

“This year the Winter Mooring site at Salthouse Docks Visitor Mooring is for five months from 1 November 2023 - 31 March 2024, however boats must arrive by 30 October 2023 and will not be able to leave until 1 April 2024, due to the closure of the Liverpool Link Canal between 31 October 2023 and 31 March 2024. Winter Moorings at this location are only available for the complete five month period. Electricity is provided at Salthouse Dock winter mooring, there is a mandatory daily fee of £7 (in addition to the winter mooring fee) that is chargeable for the duration of your winter mooring. This will be invoiced separately.”

When we spent the winter there the 5 month bit was unofficial so we booked 1 November to 1 March. They accepted booking but when I contacted Wigan to arrange passage they said we couldn't as Link closed. A big argument which ended up with Sally Ash, remember her, saying if you want to go then you can. 

In the event a closure ran over so we couldn't leave until much later, Grand National Day actually. And no extra charged 

As for the electric, it was free when we were there despite me buying £100 of cards at Wigan. I've still got those unused. We are a gas free boat so cook electric but even so only get to £7 some days so not good value for most boats now. OK if you're only staying for a week but makes an expensive winter mooring especially if you compare with Llangollen where electric still included.

I don't really know why they close the Link for 5 months. It can't be a maintenance issue and given enough notice I'm sure enough volunteers could be arranged, not that there's anything difficult about it. Liverpool for Christmas!

Edited by pearley

34 minutes ago, pearley said:

We are a gas free boat so cook electric but even so only get to £7 some days so not good value for most boats now.

It certainly seems to be an exorbitant amount - that comes to over £200/month (£1000 for the 5 months) which is similar to the total energy costs of a 5 bedroom house.

image.png.b15d4e90eb22daf6b487036f7d2d62e1.png

When we use campsites with out Campervan I reckon that the leccy is either included in the price, or is an option at (probably) no more than £5 per night.

Some campsites are now 'pay by use'

'Long term siting' of your van gets you cheaper rates.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The daily charge is not just about the electricity, there is also water on each pontoon and rubbish collection and maintenance of the facilities. It is effectively a city centre marina and in that context, not expensive.

And I’m sure there is an element of pricing it to avoid the likelihood over-use by a few.

Edited by nicknorman

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The daily charge is not just about the electricity, there is also water on each pontoon and rubbish collection and maintenance of the facilities. It is effectively a city centre marina and in that context, not expensive.

And I’m sure there is an element of pricing it to avoid the likelihood over-use by a few.

Surely all of those other aspects are covered by the 'mooring fee'. If not, what does the mooring fee cover ?

I wonder how C&RT 'square the circle' with regard to resellers not selling electricity for more than the reseller pays for it (except in the case of EVs)

Caravan parks also offer potable water, elsan emptying, showers, rubbish disposal and maintenance of facilities and yet you generally have a choice of paying for electric or not (some pitches have leccy and some don't)

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes, agree with Alan. The £25 mooring fee should encompass all that with the electricity as an 'extra'. With most boats cooking on gas and many now with lithium battery banks and lots of solar they might not want to pay for electricity they're never going to use.

24 minutes ago, pearley said:

Yes, agree with Alan. The £25 mooring fee should encompass all that with the electricity as an 'extra'. With most boats cooking on gas and many now with lithium battery banks and lots of solar they might not want to pay for electricity they're never going to use.

What are you referring to as the £25 mooring fee?  Last summer it was £10 a night for the first number of nights, can’t remember how many, then I think it was £25, but that’s really the same old “fee” that is really an overstay charge. For a wither mooring payed as 5 months presumably it is substantially cheaper per night then those figures?  BTW, we had it booked last summer but had to change our plans, and we automatically had the £10 per night fee refunded when we cancelled.

It sounds like the intention is to up the charge this year, which given the charge at Llangollen is not surprising, not sure why it is taking much thought though.

49 minutes ago, john6767 said:

What are you referring to as the £25 mooring fee?  Last summer it was £10 a night for the first number of nights, can’t remember how many, then I think it was £25, but that’s really the same old “fee” that is really an overstay charge. For a wither mooring payed as 5 months presumably it is substantially cheaper per night then those figures?  BTW, we had it booked last summer but had to change our plans, and we automatically had the £10 per night fee refunded when we cancelled.

It sounds like the intention is to up the charge this year, which given the charge at Llangollen is not surprising, not sure why it is taking much thought though.

Sorry was sure I'd read £25. Just looked it up, it's £20 currently.

8 minutes ago, pearley said:

The Winter mooring rate is £23.80 per metre per month so an £18 metre boat will be £405 per month mooring fee. + £210 per month electricity charges. 

Thats £3690 for the 5 months.

I pay less than that for a full 12 month mooring (all beit plus maybe £200 for the leccy)

Sorry I am talking about the summer daily rate, I don't know anything about the winter mooring rates. But a prime city centre long-ish term mooring is never going to be cheap! Yes I had a look and see that for winter moorings there is a £7 daily electricity fee. That is about 25 kwh worth. If you have "free" electricity you would be a bit stupid not to use it. 25kwh is one 1 kw heater on all the time plus a bit extra for lights etc. Put in 2kw of heating and you are well in.

You could at a pinch use about 3.5kw 24/7 and that would cost around £24. So £7 is not unreasonable.

Edited by nicknorman

5 hours ago, pearley said:

I don't really know why they close the Link for 5 months. It can't be a maintenance issue and given enough notice I'm sure enough volunteers could be arranged, not that there's anything difficult about it. Liverpool for Christmas!

they did keep it open through winter a few years ago possibly around 2019 as an experiment i think. I know we just missed it, but would definitely give it a go if it was open through the winter. I can't really see why its a big problem, guess they would have to man stanley locks but as you say vollies to match booked passages can't be that hard.  

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

they did keep it open through winter a few years ago possibly around 2019 as an experiment i think. I know we just missed it, but would definitely give it a go if it was open through the winter. I can't really see why its a big problem, guess they would have to man stanley locks but as you say vollies to match booked passages can't be that hard.  

Is there really any reason why, other than lack of demand, why it could not be open year round on a restricted days per week basis?

3 hours ago, pearley said:

I think that info in that guide is out of date, it does not quote the £10 per night charge for the initial (I think based on the document 7) days.  Certainly when we booked, I think 4 nights, last year if was £10 per night, and it sounds like that is going to increase for this year.

Edited by john6767

curiously when I go on the book a passage CRT page, it brings up details for the liverpool link (last thing I booked)  and says:

From 1 April 2023, the following charges will apply:

• The first 7 nights are charged at £10 per night
  • After 7 nights, any further nights are charged at £25 per night

i hope they don't get too greedy and start ramping up the charge stupidly, I know the free thing was bound to end sooner or later, but it was nice while it lasted... 

• 1 month later...

I got fed up of waiting for the Liverpool Link to be put back on the booking site, so I messaged CRT and they called me back and I have booked it over the phone.

If you are interested, it is still passages every day other than Tuesday and it is £15 a night (up from £10 last year).

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I got fed up of waiting for the Liverpool Link to be put back on the booking site, so I messaged CRT and they called me back and I have booked it over the phone.

If you are interested, it is still passages every day other than Tuesday and it is £15 a night (up from £10 last year).

Plus the electricity charge or included?