Do you have a sewing machine onboard?

DandV

Featured Posts

20240108_132634.thumb.jpg.3776e102fa243ceef30e96ed4c0febee.jpgWe bought a vintage hand operated Vesta sewing machine for sewingrepairs while on board our narrow boat.

Truthfully it was probably more use as ballast.

But a competing French yacht in the Round the World Globe yacht race takes it to a whole new level as they lay over in Auckland

Yes, we do Don, curtains , cushions and other items all home produced by my lovely Kathy.

We even have a smashing sewing kit which we added our own stuff to donated a few years ago....

Whio on patrol..

17050979613386480562685809734525.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Yes, we do Don, curtains , cushions and other items all home produced by my lovely Kathy.

We even have a smashing sewing kit which we added our own stuff to donated a few years ago....

Whio on patrol..

17050979613386480562685809734525.jpg

That is actually another of our native birds.

The pukeko.

Glad it was a succesful recycle!

We now have a sewing machine but no boat!20240113_114229.thumb.jpg.407c515f9102a8721b5fa3cd23112288.jpg

Photo earlier today of checking off the food stores. Race restart in about 24hrs.

Next stop South America via Cape Horn

• Greenie 1

A few years ago we moored up for a few days in Pali harbor on the island of Nisyros in the Dodecanese in front of a Taverna (as you do, of course).  Another yacht moored next to us and we struck up a conversation with Damian, the solo sailor on board.  A couple of hours later another yacht moored up on the Port side of us and the two crew on board were looking a bit fraught.  They asked us if we knew on which island the nearest sailmaker was as their headsail was in need of repair.

With that, Damian disappeared below deck and a few minutes later re-appeared with a sailmakers sewing machine in his arms.  With no more further ado we all set about spreading the headsail out on the quayside and Damian duly re-stitched the torn luff of the sail much to the entertainment of the Taverna patrons.  Needless to say, Damian did not pay for his dinner and beer that night.

Just simply amazing what some people carry in their boats!

11 minutes ago, DandV said:

Next stop South America via Cape Horn

I'm as jealous as hell, - need any crew? :lol:

Wish you well, have a good trip!

When we had the NB we used to have an old Jones hand powered sewing machine stored in the bottom of the wardrobe. In about 25 years I only remember it being used a couple of times, things got done on an electric on at home instead. No room for one on my little sailing boat but a Lurpak tub with bits of sailcloth, repair tape, needles and thread is an important bit of kit.

47 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

A few years ago we moored up for a few days in Pali harbor on the island of Nisyros in the Dodecanese in front of a Taverna (as you do, of course).  Another yacht moored next to us and we struck up a conversation with Damian, the solo sailor on board.  A couple of hours later another yacht moored up on the Port side of us and the two crew on board were looking a bit fraught.  They asked us if we knew on which island the nearest sailmaker was as their headsail was in need of repair.

With that, Damian disappeared below deck and a few minutes later re-appeared with a sailmakers sewing machine in his arms.  With no more further ado we all set about spreading the headsail out on the quayside and Damian duly re-stitched the torn luff of the sail much to the entertainment of the Taverna patrons.  Needless to say, Damian did not pay for his dinner and beer that night.

Just simply amazing what some people carry in their boats!

I'm as jealous as hell, - need any crew? :lol:

Wish you well, have a good trip!

I am not going.

On reflection I think it was the all female crew on Maiden undertaking their pre departure food stocktake.

Harbour and inshore racing is my limit. None of this blue, green water, with big white streaks stuff. 

Even now I am now  passing on the races that are followed by an overnight stop over after a social evening.

Faithfully restored accommodation is not that great when restored to replicate 19th Century standards!

The combination of a derated bladder, alcohol, and no ensuite, is less tolerable then it was. 

Edited by DandV

10 hours ago, DandV said:

On reflection I think it was the all female crew on Maiden undertaking their pre departure food stocktake.

Even better:P  I could sign on as a (albeit elderly) cabin boy - maybe even change my name to Rodger! ;) :o :lol: 

For the boater witl less room aboard a speedy stitcher sewing awl is a handy thing. Once restitched sprayhood windows with whipping twine with mine, it took a while but did a good job & was very satisfying...

awl.jpg