Rochdale Canal

Midnight

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

Somewhat of an understatement, when we came down in the rain in October water was flooding over the gates and towpaths, in places we had to go at least two locks/pounds ahead to let water down to try and minimise this when we emptied a lock -- and there was so much water going down the Nine that it took the combined efforts of me and four passers-by to open one top gate... 😞

The East side and the upper parts of the West side are indeed stunning and enjoyable, but the lower parts of the West side and the Nine are rather less so... 😉

I quite like the 9 though its not relaxing. The way the canal is almost buried under the Manchester nightlife is unique, and there is quite a bit of historic stuff to look at. The real issue when going up is knowning that the underground lock has to be done and this leads to some apprehension.

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

I quite like the 9 though its not relaxing. The way the canal is almost buried under the Manchester nightlife is unique, and there is quite a bit of historic stuff to look at. The real issue when going up is knowning that the underground lock has to be done and this leads to some apprehension.

Agreed, but it can be bl**dy hard work especially in the rain -- not just flooding towpaths and water over the gates, but the stupid drum winches on gates that slip. And it seems to rain most times I've been through there... 😞

The underground lock is pretty scuzzy even when it's not raining and flooded -- and I suppose at least the floodwater covers up all the used condoms and needles...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Attitude matters too.  The first time I descended the 18 I was sharing with another boat, they swore "never ever again" and we quite enjoyed it!

Yes, it can be hard work and you might need to move some water around but it's a stunning canal.

don’t get me wrong I don’t mind the hard work and I’ll do the 9 on my own without a thought, the 18 are too much for me to do in a day on my own seeing as they’re locked til 8am and I can’t make an early start. Or late finish. (They used to be locked, I’m assuming they still lock them?)
With help and sharing locks I was able to fly up them. 

Yes, absolutely stunning scenery and rewarding. 

I just know from experience I run the risk of getting stuck between stoppages to trap me. 
whether it’s the Rochdale, Huddersfield or Leeds Liverpool. 

Beautiful canals to be stuck on if you time it right mind. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Attitude matters too.  The first time I descended the 18 I was sharing with another boat, they swore "never ever again" and we quite enjoyed it!

Yes, it can be hard work and you might need to move some water around but it's a stunning canal.

I never found the 18 and the 9 particularly hard. Water flowing over the gates can be an issue if boats follow too close together, but  the method is to keep at least two locks apart. Running low on water is a pain but it's never stopped us. The stuff that gets around the prop are the worst things to deal with but I've done at least three trips without a visit to the weedhatch. Usually when descending we leave The Rose of Lancaster early, stop for a sandwich at Ducie Street Junction, then drop down the 9 to Castlefield. Going up we spread it over two days. Going east it's always a pleasure to get to Summit. Going west I'm full of trepidation from Littleborough.  As @beerbeerbeerbeerbeer suggested it's the fear of getting stuck between two stoppages that detracts from the splendor of the Summit and Yorkshire side.

Edited by Midnight

Is the Rochdale really so much worse then the HNC and L&L for stoppages/restrictions? I've been hit by all three, and all had problems at the same time last autumn... 😞

(but all three are all fabulous canals when they're open...)

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

Is the Rochdale really so much worse then the HNC and L&L for stoppages/restrictions? I've been hit by all three, and all had problems at the same time last year... 😞

(but all three are all fabulous canals when they're open...)

It must be a close call especially over the last 5 years. There were times when we didn't worry and would have three choices. Now it's Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the gun. As you found out, trying to get back to base in the autumn months, with impending winter stoppages and the short Trent hours adds to the anxiety and frustration.

Edited by Midnight

13 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Seems routine practice to shut the Diggle flight this time of year and I’ve lost track/interest in bookings for the Standedge Tunnel. Is lock E1 still a bother?

Yes!
One of our club members had a tussle with C&RT last year. He had booked a passage but they rang him the day before and said it was canncelled due to there being no staff. When he replied saying he was going through regardless even if he had to cut the chains off they capitulated and agreed to send someone to help him through. Food for thought???

Edited by Midnight

44 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Seems routine practice to shut the Diggle flight this time of year and I’ve lost track/interest in bookings for the Standedge Tunnel. Is lock E1 still a bother?

It is, especially the restricted passage times in combination with Standedge only being open 3 days a week (Mon/Weds/Fri) for 2 boats a day each way... 😞

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Yes!
One of our club members had a tussle with C&RT last year. He had booked a passage but they rang him the day before and said it was canncelled due to there being no staff. When he replied saying he was going through regardless even if he had to cut the chains off they capitulated and agreed to send someone to help him through. Food for thought???

When CRT first locked the paddles on lock 1E, they used a combination lock on the chain.

A couple of us used to have day trips up the Narrow for a couple of beers and back, but having to book 48 hours in advance rather spoilt our days out.

So two of us "helped" a boat through lock 1E and when the CRT bod wasn't looking made a note of the combination number.

A few days later a few of us piled into a boat and feeling rather smug, went up the cut for a beer returning the same day.

About a week later we did the same thing but.... the rotten bastards had changed the combination!

Spoilt the freedom to come and go as you choose.

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

When CRT first locked the paddles on lock 1E, they used a combination lock on the chain.

A couple of us used to have day trips up the Narrow for a couple of beers and back, but having to book 48 hours in advance rather spoilt our days out.

So two of us "helped" a boat through lock 1E and when the CRT bod wasn't looking made a note of the combination number.

A few days later a few of us piled into a boat and feeling rather smug, went up the cut for a beer returning the same day.

About a week later we did the same thing but.... the rotten bastards had changed the combination!

Can't have the pound getting so low that the Uni can't extract water for the servers don't ya know ;) 

You oiks on boats aren't paying a fat extraction fee.

19 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

To the Sair Inn, by any chance?

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

To the Sair Inn, by any chance?

A lovely old pub, but too far to walk across a muddy field and a very steep hill from the HNC.

No, we would go as far as lock 5E,wind there,my boat was only 30ft, return and moor just beyond lock 4E at Longroyd Bridge and have a beer or two in the aptly named "Bridge" pub.A rather scruffy down at heel pub with good beer.It has a covered smoking area overlooking the canal at the back, and you could keep an eye on your boat.

On the way back we would tie up on the lock landing for lock 3E, there's loads of room, and walk the hundred yards or so up the hill to the "Rat And Ratchet" for another beer.

This used to be a good day out, but sadly it looks like those days have gone.

49 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Can't have the pound getting so low that the Uni can't extract water for the servers don't ya know ;) 

You oiks on boats aren't paying a fat extraction fee.

As it's at the bottom of a long lock flight,it shouldn't be a problem.

There seems to be several sources of leaks on the bottom pound that CRT are unable or unwilling to fix.

30 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

No, we would go as far as lock 5E,wind there,my boat was only 30ft, return and moor just beyond lock 4E at Longroyd Bridge and have a beer or two in the aptly named "Bridge" pub.A rather scruffy down at heel pub with good beer.It has a covered smoking area overlooking the canal at the back, and you could keep an eye on your boat.

The Bridge Inn, had some good nights in there watching bands. Formerly the Electricians Hotel, and before that the Bridge Tavern (way before my time :D)

One day i'll go in the Rat and see if i'm still barred, suspect it's been through a few management changes since the 90's though ;) 

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

Yes!

That’s the sort of thing that niggles me big time. 

long story short:
I was half way down the Ashton  flight one summer when CRT phoned to tell me the Rochdale 9 was going to be shut for a week or so. 

Argh!! 

17 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

long story short:
I was half way down the Ashton  flight one summer when CRT phoned to tell me the Rochdale 9 was going to be shut for a week or so. 

Argh!! 

So would it have been better if they hadn't rung you and let you find out the hard way? 😉

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

long story short:

Argh!! 

The quality of communication from CRT is very variable and should be improved, but lets not shout too loud or they will advertise for a new director of communications and several managers 😀

Its not just boaters who would be benefit, CRT could do themselves a lot of good if they gave out more good quality information.

A couple of examples.....

The forum here is moaning about the money "wasted" on mechanising the Oxford lift bridges, but Ian Mac who has access to CRT information, was able to explain exactly why this was a sensible financial thing to do. CRT should have done this.

Last year the large stone wall retaining the leat for the second feed to the Rochdale collapsed after heavy rain. CRT were on site for ages, rebuilt the wall to original historic spec, cleared and lined the leat, bult access paths and steps and even reseeded the grass, and yet no boaters have any idea that all this work happened.

• Greenie 1

Agree, CRT should do more to explain why work is done and whether it was funded through their general budget or a specific project budget.  I've been involved in a number of projects funded through particular grants that could only be used for the project but for anyone who didn't know this would consider it a waste of money.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Agree, CRT should do more to explain why work is done and whether it was funded through their general budget or a specific project budget.  I've been involved in a number of projects funded through particular grants that could only be used for the project but for anyone who didn't know this would consider it a waste of money.

Maybe some people should consider that perhaps cash-strapped CART only spend money on stuff like that when they have a good reason -- see examples posted by @Ian Mac above --  rather than accusing them of being spendthrift idiots run by Chief Idiot Parry (who should obviously be sacked) at every opportunity?

Or that CART might have better things to do than wasting time and effort explaining in detail everything they do to such people -- who like other conspiracy theorists probably wouldn't believe them anyway, because they're obviously lying?

At least, that's one interpretation of the anti-CART/anti-Parry tirades seen so often on here... 😉

Edited by IanD

16 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Damien’s monthly updates explain this a little, usually pointing out some basics,

but it might occasionally be interesting/useful to know a little more than simple headlines 

On 20/01/2024 at 22:53, IanD said:

You got it -- after all they run the country and DEFRA and make the decisions about the canals (and rail, and roads, and the NHS...), so who else's fault would it be?

Oh yes, I forgot, it's all Richard Parry's fault. So presumably if Boris or someone similar had been in charge we'd all be cruising happily through sunlit uplands...

Not enough water in the broad uplands though, in summer anyway. Whats needed is a few reservoirs around the summit level😉

31 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Not enough water in the broad uplands though, in summer anyway. Whats needed is a few reservoirs around the summit level😉

Of course the Rochdale Canal Company did have a lot of reservoirs at the summit, but they sold them off in 1923 to Rochdale local authority, for public water supply, keeping the right to just a small feed, which is still the case. UU now own those reservoirs, and every now and then they attempt to sell them back to C&RT, who ask for the reservoir report and then correctly say NO, you fix the problems, some of which have now been fixed I believe.

So the next time UU look at there books, the trust may acquire them, we can only wait and see.

--

cheers Ian Mac

10 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

Of course the Rochdale Canal Company did have a lot of reservoirs at the summit, but they sold them off in 1923 to Rochdale local authority, for public water supply, keeping the right to just a small feed, which is still the case. UU now own those reservoirs, and every now and then they attempt to sell them back to C&RT, who ask for the reservoir report and then correctly say NO, you fix the problems, some of which have now been fixed I believe.

So the next time UU look at there books, the trust may acquire them, we can only wait and see.

--

cheers Ian Mac

Certainly there's a new spillway on Chelburn, just above Summit West, not been by the upper ones for a while. 

22 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

--

cheers Ian Mac

After Todbrook, new legislation and climate change and wet winters I can't see CRT wanting to take on any new resevoirs, but on the other hand with climate change, dry summers and an ever increasing population it just might be a very good investment.

Some fascinating old channels and sluices up in them hills.

The Rochdale is a bit short of water but its not critical, a bit of water saving and leak fixing would help, but it would be great to see more boats on the Rochdale and this would stretch the current water supply. As Ive said before, one option might be to close the Rochdale in summer to get the maintanence done but try really had to keep it open all winter.

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

After Todbrook, new legislation and climate change and wet winters I can't see CRT wanting to take on any new resevoirs, but on the other hand with climate change, dry summers and an ever increasing population it just might be a very good investment.

Some fascinating old channels and sluices up in them hills.

The Rochdale is a bit short of water but its not critical, a bit of water saving and leak fixing would help, but it would be great to see more boats on the Rochdale and this would stretch the current water supply. As Ive said before, one option might be to close the Rochdale in summer to get the maintanence done but try really had to keep it open all winter.

I assume you mean the other way round (close it in winter), since most boaters want to move in summer?

Still doesn't help if the money to do the desired maintenance isn't in the kitty though... 😞