Cr@ppy problem on new (old) NB - to cassette or not to cassette?

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, ruthieruthruth said:

I did buy the boat thinking that PO would be a good excuse to go boating but it is a *bit* more of a mission than I had anticipated to be honest.

The other way of looking at it, is that people who buy boats to go boating, (rather that being static) will probably pass at least one Pump-out station per week (maybe more) so it does not become an issue for them they empty as and when they want to.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The other way of looking at it, is that people who buy boats to go boating, (rather that being static) will probably pass at least one Pump-out station per week (maybe more) so it does not become an issue for them they empty as and when they want to.

That's true, unless you have a sudden unexpected pump-out crisis in the middle of nowhere. DAMHIK... 😞

I have no personal experience of Crooke marina and it is a sort of odd place, but my assumption is that they have PO facilities.  only two locks from burscough and appley is a deep 'un , the other, dean lock is easy enough (and has a water point as it happens) . 

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's true, unless you have a sudden unexpected pump-out crisis in the middle of nowhere. DAMHIK... 😞

or the PO machine is broken and/or it won't accept the CRT prepaid credit card thing you've had in a drawer on the boat for two years... 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is probably why we have not had a problem finding pump out facilities.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Which is probably why we have not had a problem finding pump out facilities.

And also why they are not on here asking for advice on the very problem I am facing. Unfortunately some of still have to work. Largely to pay the huge pump out fees it feels like ATM

3 minutes ago, ruthieruthruth said:

And also why they are not on here asking for advice on the very problem I am facing. Unfortunately some of still have to work. Largely to pay the huge pump out fees it feels like ATM

Lack of understanding of or sympathy for someone in a different situation is unfortunately all too common on CWDF... 😞

#imallrightjack

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, ruthieruthruth said:

I didn't suggest you could move often, I merely explained a possible reason for my not noticing that pumpouts were so thin on the ground.

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Lack of understanding of or sympathy for someone in a different situation is unfortunately all too common on CWDF... 😞

#imallrightjack

Don't jump to conclusions and read my reply to Ruthierruthruth.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I didn't suggest you could move often, I merely explained a possible reason for my not noticing that pumpouts were so thin on the ground.

Ah I see - yes, understood now with the context. These threads do run off into tangents a bit don't they? 🤣

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

[snip]

Alan: "The other way of looking at it, is that people who buy boats to go boating..."

You: "Which is probably why we have not had a problem finding pump out facilities."

Sympathetic? Really?

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Alan: "The other way of looking at it, is that people who buy boats to go boating..."

You: "Which is probably why we have not had a problem finding pump out facilities."

Sympathetic? Really?

Yet again merely commenting on a possible reason for why we have never had difficulties.  however if you are the sort of person who always looks for problems in what people say then you might read it differently.

Not my fault if you did.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Yet again merely commenting on a possible reason for why we have never had difficulties.  however if you are the sort of person who always looks for problems in what people say then you might read it differently.

Not my fault if you did.

Usual excuse from a repeat offender... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Usual excuse from a repeat offender... 😉

Please point me to several posts where I have in your opinion displayed an I am all right jack attitude.

I have done it no more often than you.

However, as I said you frequently read the worst into posts and when challenged make sweeping untrue assertions as you have now.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Please point me to several posts where I have in your opinion displayed an I am all right jack attitude.

I have done it no more often than you.

However, as I said you frequently read the worst into posts and when challenged make sweeping untrue assertions as you have now.

When someone explains their problem that they have to go several hours to get to the nearest pumpout, replying that this isn't needed by "real boaters who move more" (I'm paraphrasing here) or "I don't need to because I do that too" comes over as unhelpful at best and patronising at worst, exactly the kind of reply that puts newbies off CWDF.

If you really don't see how your posts can be interpreted -- whether you meant it that way or not -- then there's no point me replying any more. Carry on carping... 😉 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

When someone explains their problem that they have to go several hours to get to the nearest pumpout, replying that this isn't needed by "real boaters who move more" (I'm paraphrasing here) or "I don't need to because I do that too" comes over as unhelpful at best and patronising at worst, exactly the kind of reply that puts newbies off CWDF.

If you really don't see how your posts can be interpreted -- whether you meant it that way or not -- then there's no point me replying any more. Carry on carping... 😉 

As I said before it depends on the attitude of the mind that reads it.

I am still waiting for your proof I am a serial offender.   Any reason why you haven't provided it as you seemed so confident I am a serial offender?

20 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Seams the simple answer is that a cassette toilet with a couple of cassettes is the best solution.

Yes I think I saw some good advice elsewhere that one should live with whatever set up they have for at least 6 months before changing, so I think I will try that, with the porta potti in reserve. Plus try to move closer to better facilities! Plus try to persuade someone to offer a mobile solution. Plus try to use the pub more often - always an upside 🤣 🍻

17 minutes ago, ruthieruthruth said:

Yes I think I saw some good advice elsewhere that one should live with whatever set up they have for at least 6 months before changing, so I think I will try that, with the porta potti in reserve. Plus try to move closer to better facilities! Plus try to persuade someone to offer a mobile solution. Plus try to use the pub more often - always an upside 🤣 🍻

Is there a closer location where you can legally do a self-pump-out, as opposed to travelling for 3 hours and getting someone else to do it?

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well that's another knackered thread

File it with the rest. Seems to be the norm on here unfortunately. Handful of regular posters more interested in their own self-importance than anything useful. I’ve given up with it to be honest.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

File it with the rest. Seems to be the norm on here unfortunately. Handful of regular posters more interested in their own self-importance than anything useful. I’ve given up with it to be honest.  

So why not post a useful comment instead? 

8 hours ago, IanD said:

Is there a closer location where you can legally do a self-pump-out, as opposed to travelling for 3 hours and getting someone else to do it?

Yeh, I've had a Google but can't seem to find a way to find out and I see the CRT are asking that elsan points are not used for selp PO so I have no idea how I'd do this legally (and cleanly, perhaps more importantly)

Any idea how I'd be able to find out without paying for United Utilities searches for every house along the cut?

1 minute ago, ruthieruthruth said:

Yeh, I've had a Google but can't seem to find a way to find out and I see the CRT are asking that elsan points are not used for selp PO so I have no idea how I'd do this legally (and cleanly, perhaps more importantly)

Any idea how I'd be able to find out without paying for United Utilities searches for every house along the cut?

I meant somewhere where it's acceptable to do a self-pump-out, not an Elsan point. Presumably these exist since other posters have this equipment...

Sorry, don't have detailed knowledge of that stretch of canal to suggest where -- maybe somebody who does can help?

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

I recently started using the ignore function for some of these clowns, forum just got a whole lot better.

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

So why not post a useful comment instead? 

Because I post when I know stuff, not just because I like the sound of my own voice.  I posted earlier on this thread as I’d seen mobile pump-out boats.   I don’t know anything more so I’ve not added to it. 🙄

My last comment could be useful if some of the posters on here posted less often and with more useful info instead of trying to score points and ruin another thread. 😂

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I recently started using the ignore function for some of these clowns, forum just got a whole lot better.

I’ve only got one on ignore as the comments were just beyond bitter and unhelpful. If I ignored the rest I’d be pretty much seeing nothing.  😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If only one could do that retrospectively! 🤣 This forum is soooo helpful to someone like me new to boating but there definitely is a lot of "noise" to filter out when reading old threads 🫣⚔️ 🤺📢🃏🤡 (or new ones)

• Greenie 2