FREE BMC 1500 PARTS LIST and new keel cooled Beta 30 for sale.

Skyship

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just a few pic's of the DIY parts list with the usual diagrams that will make ordering parts from classic car or tractor parts supply companies far easier or even possible in some cases. I tried one place that simply told me they only took rders in part number terms. The downloads also have how to decode the engine plate number, which you do need to know for a few items like the crankshaft, (You can get new ones), or dreaded torsional vibration damper that is not in fact a required/useful part). The early BMC 1.5's did not have one and there are 2 different lengths of crankshaft as a result.

Now the Iffy part as I might be violating the terms and conditions etc. I'm still rebuilding a classic alloy lifeboat in Poole for Trinidad based charaty that is owned/run by a Christian church near San Fernando the second largest city. So as I result of my poor R&D we purchased a new Beta Marine 30 and gearbox, but after the dealer refused to install it for ten months as they were busy, (Different mounts etc so not a DIY job that invalidates the warranty). TMC 40 gearbox, high rise exhaust, raised sump version, (Allows engine to be fitted closer to hull), type B panel, (Key start with extra temperature and Hobbs gauges). Standard 70A alternator and earth isolation kit included.

Engine is in a box on a standard pallet inside the main building of Mike Wills Marine Ltd near the entrance to Cobbs Quay Marina in Homworthy jest East of Poole. I live about a mile away between Poole Park pond and Poole hospital. Comtary to popular belief, I'm not scrapping TNLB Elsie May, just planning to fit a new 42hp, (The BMC is supposed to put out around 35hp), MERCEDES MARINE DIESEL, that has been restored by Marine Enterprises Ltd in Dorchester who scrapped the last engine I tried to buy from them or had some other issue, as they have a very good reputation. So PM me, buy through Fleabay or even look up heliumblimp, (Ebay seller name), in Farcebook market place. Also listed with Apollo Duck engine sales section. The Merc diesel has been painted with Thornycroft Blue metallic paint, which they use on their BMC, (None listed at present), diesels in addition to the Thorny ones. The Merc 42 does fit on the BMC engine beds but not the mounts. I've cut mine off already. So ready to hit the plastic on Monday to buy that true German blue diesel. Not so sure how expensive the spares wil be, or which stealer to get them from. Note the BMC picture is stock as only the lid lifts off at present, and it has been inhibited for storage by Beta last year. 

So now the all important figure the Dosh number: 5000, (No offers at present), and you pay for shipping or pick up etc. Cost new with extras 7500 quid !!! You will not find a cheaper new Beta 30 with new gearbox. 

BMC2.jpg

7043224.jpg

BETA 30 MARINE DIESEL.jpg

Have to say I have enjoyed reading this blokes previous posts, they are well researched and contain a lot of interesting technical information that is generally "correct", or at least has an element of truth.

Some of his idea are a bit "theoretical" and many are maybe not really applicable to inland waterways engines.

This is a discussion forum so lets do that, but with the understanding that much of his stuff does not represent the conventional wisdom of the cut and should not be a guide for the inexperienced.

Anyway, must go, am in the middle of an engine service, I read somewhere that if you change your oil everyday the engine will last forever. So far so good but its costing a fortune 😀😀

The original post seemed to link to an engine he was selling but, as previously mentioned, the lack of punctuation, amongst other things, made the post completely incomprehensible, at least to me. I'm not sure what I would be buying for £5k. 

Edited by Ianws
Clarification

8 hours ago, Ianws said:

The original post seemed to link to an engine he was selling but, as previously mentioned, the lack of punctuation, amongst other things, made the post completely incomprehensible, at least to me. I'm not sure what I would be buying for £5k. 

I thought I'd give AI a chance to translate the OP and it came back with:

"The person is providing information about a do-it-yourself (DIY) project involving the rebuilding of a classic alloy lifeboat in Poole for a charity in Trinidad. They purchased a new Beta Marine 30 engine and gearbox for the project but faced delays in installation by the dealer. Due to different mounts and complexities, the dealer refused to install it for ten months. The person is now selling the new Beta Marine 30 engine with a TMC 40 gearbox, high rise exhaust, raised sump version, type B panel, standard 70A alternator, and earth isolation kit.

They mention the specifications of the engine, the location of the engine in Poole, and their proximity to Poole Park pond and Poole hospital. The person clarifies that they are not scrapping the TNLB Elsie May but plan to fit a new 42hp Mercedes Marine Diesel, which has been restored by Marine Enterprises Ltd in Dorchester.

The asking price for the new Beta Marine 30 with accessories is £5000, with no current offers accepted. The buyer is responsible for shipping or pick-up arrangements. The person highlights that the cost of the engine and extras when new was £7500.

The message also includes information about where the engine is listed for sale (eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Apollo Duck engine sales section) and provides the eBay seller name (heliumblimp). The person notes that the Mercedes diesel has been painted with Thornycroft Blue metallic paint, commonly used on Thornycroft and BMC diesels.

Overall, the person is sharing details about a marine engine for sale, its specifications, and the context of their DIY project involving a classic alloy lifeboat for a charity."

😄