‘It's part of our history' son's quest to restore Dunkirk ‘Little Ship'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

If the Mod's want to move this somewhere else as it is not about a canal boat - go ahead.

ARoyal Navy veteran's son who rescued a Dunkirk little ship from a bonfire is appealing for help to restore it to its former glory.

Philip Hammond originally saved the Southern Queen from being burnt at the end of the 1990s.

He got the ship back to a functioning state, meaning that in 2010 it could sail back to the French port for the 70th anniversary of its role in the evacuation of British troops.

However, engine problems meant the ship was taken out of the water. After several years in storage, its condition was assessed as "terminal".

Now, Philip, 82 - whose father John served as a gunner in the Second World War - is looking to raise £250,000 to restore the boat so it can return to France in 2025.

He said: "It's a part of our history. All of these Dunkirk Little Ships are and it's very important that they are all preserved.

"I put in the full funding for the first return but obviously it's reached a stage where the restoration costs are a lot higher.

"I would like to seek help in funding it because it will become a national treasure."

Built in 1926, the 51ft Southern Queen was part of Operation Dynamo, which saw the rescue of more than 338,000 British and French soldiers from Dunkirk in June 1940.

After the war, it carried day trippers on pleasure cruises off Folkstone, Kent, and then from 1957, the Isles of Scilly.

Andy Willett inspects Southern Queen ahead of the latest restoration project at Willett Built

Phil Hammond with wife Rachael Hammond in Dunkirk with Southern Queen in 2000

More info here:

‘It's part of our history' son's quest to restore Dunkirk ‘Little Ship' (msn.com)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

That's a mighty fine looking boat. But what did it start life as? Possibly a trip boat all the time since new. 

When I first started boating on the Thames in 1977 there were loads of Dunkirk 'little ships' around. Every other wooden boat was a Dunkirk boat. Or so it was claimed. Some of them looking highly unlikely! 

As a historic wooden boat enthusiast I wish them well in their endeavours to restore this boat, that has done so much work in it's life, carried so many people, and partook in such an internationally significant event.

Restoring the boat though is only half the battle, as it's sad history after it's last restoration attests.

So what next?

To remain viable she needs a continuing purpose in her life,  the more the better. 

Just being old is far from sufficient.

And a context.

In this she's blessed already, but her value requires in keeping  her story being told. 

And an appropriate form ownership structure.

The more durable the better.

A structure that enables, and encourages an ongoing  continuation of people to love her, and more importantly, provide the frightening amount of care, and money she will actually require.

Overall Britain seems to accomplish these things well, testament the many historic watercraft turning up to the many organised historic boat festivals, and being quayside in so many picturesque locations. 

Seeing all of those historic watercraft afloat, and doing something, was an important facit of our visits to Britain.

They are both an intrinsic part of  your historic landscape, and your social heritage. 

Too good to loose through neglect. 

Good luck

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Tell the truth it doesn't even look like the same boat, on the wreck boat he’s popping out a deck hatch and in the other photo it looks like it hasn’t got a bow deck hatch?

I wondered that too.

However looking closely the wooden rubbing band is in the right place on both pictures and the stem post looks the same so I think there is a good chance its the same boat. 

No way is something like that worth spending thousands on though. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can think of a lot more uses for a quarter of a million quid than to restore some else's boat. As has been said, there are a huge number of "little ships", and the whole point of them was that they weren't anything special, just what they did was. That's a memory, not a bit of wood, and it wasn't the boats that need celebrating anyway, it was the people who drove them.

It's a bit like all the appeals you get to fund someone's trip to the Himalayas "for charity" when you're really just paying for someone's holiday.

And, cynic as I am, I can see it ending up like the Captain Tom scenario.

Looking at this gofundme page for the restoration it’s for £25,000 not £250,000, maybe they’re also applying to other organisations/Historic Societys for funding. The deck hatch is clearly visible on this picture.

F2C896B9-8C9E-459F-B16C-FCF545113285.thumb.jpeg.1b15e113e93a3c36de2cdce0d184369d.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Looking at this gofundme page for the restoration it’s for £25,000 not £250,000, maybe they’re also applying to other organisations/Historic Societys for funding. The deck hatch is clearly visible on this picture.

F2C896B9-8C9E-459F-B16C-FCF545113285.thumb.jpeg.1b15e113e93a3c36de2cdce0d184369d.jpeg

I think in the meantime someone has added the hatch and laid a teak deck. 

The name is in exactly the same font. The U of Southern is a slightly unusual shape. It is also painted on the same plank. 

I think it is the same item unless someone has gone to deliberate fraudulent lengths to precisely copy the name. 

however the 'original' boat had a wooden name board. 

The boat is firewood. 

Edited by magnetman

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

However looking closely the wooden rubbing band is in the right place on both pictures and the stem post looks the same so I think there is a good chance its the same boat. 

Odd you should say that, it caught my eye as looking different before I read your comment.

It's missing the steel capping visible in the first couple of pics and the top is now at a different angle. Plus in the first pics I think I can just see large chamfers on it on the lower half, missing again in later pics. I think the stem has been replaced.

It is difficult to tell as the first picture is straight on. I think it does have the steel on it.

IMG_20231126_100310.jpg.939fe0d91f18b2121f67a2fea0a5c9ab.jpg

IMG_20231126_100459.jpg.8b3523b34a3e6b2bcc74acdb55af097c.jpg

In the original picture it looks like the name is on a wooden board but I wonder if that is just an effect and its actually on the wood which is vanished and painted around. 

the font of the name is exactly the same in all 3 pictures which makes me think someone later on has painted around each letter carefully but its actually the same original writing.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Different colour but it is interesting how the letter shapes are exactly the same. 

I think its the same boat but the stem post has been rather clumsily replaced. Probably on a tight budget. 

Where is this little ship lying now? Looks like a CRT sign at the end of the Maureen. 

IMG_20231126_101002.jpg.eb96e9532c2ddbc0af8a512521c52855.jpg

IMG_20231126_101139.jpg.9d88c417e65fdd8ee3b843bcf0ec18b4.jpg

IMG_20231126_101158.jpg.0b87f99e1cb99bb48fb20ead780a605a.jpg

Exactly the same font in all 3.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think its the same boat but the stem post has been rather clumsily replaced. Probably on a tight budget. 

Where is this little ship lying now? Looks like a CRT sign at the end of the Maureen. 

EA use that colour scheme for their notices. 

It looks tidal but EA don't usually do tidal. 

It looks like it is now lying in a barn. 

The image of it in the creek could be Rye. Rye harbour is managed by the EA

Just a random guess. 

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Reading the MSN news link, it says the boat is in Southampton.

Gets around a bit for a sinker, doesn't it!

A bit less distance  than the Falklands to Bristol though tbf 

https://m.facebook.com/SSGreatBritain/videos/falkland-islands-to-bristol-an-extraordinary-journey/2663388693937583/

There is a little ship in our marina which is kept in immaculate condition. I believe it goes into a large shed for storage in winter where it has to be kept in the right conditions including keeping it from drying out too much. 

A labour of love just to keep it , let alone restoration. No one asks for donations as far as I know.

Some of the ADLS boats seem to be owned by people with shed loads of money.

I always find it mildly amusing that the individuals who frequent these boats are predictably generic in nature.

I suppose it is a certain type who go for these and they conform. 

54 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Some of the ADLS boats seem to be owned by people with shed loads of money.

I always find it mildly amusing that the individuals who frequent these boats are predictably generic in nature.

I suppose it is a certain type who go for these and they conform. 

Some people need a mythical past when everything was better - people were noble and selfless, everything was simple, the good guys won etc etc. I don't think they have much time for considering why the small ships were needed in the first place.

Our first liveaboard in1969 was a Dunkirk little ship called Fairbright built in 1920 as a fishing boat, she had a plaque from one of the rallies and was converted after the war by David Hillyard.   We bought her in Malta, spent the first year around the islands and Sicily, then ended the next year in Falmouth after many ports on the way and going via the Canal du Midi. 

Fairbright Portofino 1970.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

On 26/11/2023 at 09:39, robtheplod said:

You'd be amazed at how these projects can be funded. If they YouTube it, they will get lots of income plus people like making donations to these sort of causes, just look at Brupeg, took 10 years but its now in the water!

Never mind Brupeg. Have you seen Sailing Yaba!  Might as well have built a new boat,  but of course that wouldn’t have got the Patreon donations that Yaba does. They’ve just celebrated 3 years of work on it as it happens.