Can I shorten the Webasto supplied exhaust??

TandC

Featured Posts

Trying to work out the positioning of the various Webasto bits, but the exhaust supplied is pretty long leaving a load to try and find a home for..

Feeling like a balloon animal manufacturer here...   

One side of the silencer the exhaust is 850mm long while the other end is 650mm.  

I have asked Butler Teknik for any guidance on minimum required length, warranty issues etc but no reply and as I wanted to see what fits at the weekend I'd appreciate any other advice.... 

The exhaust gets very hot, so do make sure there is plenty of clearance to heat sensitive items.  Also the exhaust needs to go higher than the exhaust outlet before coming down to it to keep the rain out of the sealed exhaust system.  So whilst the exhaust looks very long on the table in the boat I only just had enough.

All good thank you - I have had a reply from Butler - this is the marine exhaust (stainless steal, cylinder type) and it can be shortened, noting that it needs enough length to allow a swan-neck.     The clamps supplied aren't the best as they provide no "stand off" distance - so if you screwed them direct to a piece of wood it would pull the silencer tight up against that.   My first thought while offering it up was that this couldnt be good for the heat transfer. 

I'll need to make some steel brackets and clamp to that.  But otherwise, I think the routing will work nicely keeping the bends to a minimum and still reasonably compact.  

2 hours ago, TandC said:

The clamps supplied aren't the best as they provide no "stand off" distance - so if you screwed them direct to a piece of wood it would pull the silencer tight up against that.   

Why don't you just use some long screws and put a couple of big nuts or a stack of washers over each screw on the other side of the clamp to create some distance? Seems easier than making your own brackets.

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, TandC said:

I'll need to make some steel brackets and clamp to that.  But otherwise, I think the routing will work nicely keeping the bends to a minimum and still reasonably compact.  

Forget what they're called but the standoff brackets you see on some plumbing may be suitable dependant upon size. (not copper saddle clamps)

Remembered,   Musem brackets

Edited by Slim