Distribution panels

truckcab79

Featured Posts

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge amount but there seems to be a huge difference in cost between 6 gang and 12 gang circuit breaker distribution panels.  

Any reason not to use 2 x 6’s. Lots of the reviews say space behind can be an issue so may even be a more practical solution I suspect?

Any negatives?  

There is also a huge difference in quality of distribution panels - do you mean the type with red 'on' LEDs and rocker switches, prewired ?

There is very low specification stuff that seems commonly used on carvavans and retrofitted into boats and then there is good quality, heavy wiring, used by knowledgable boat builders to met the demands on boats.

What are you looking at ?

36 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Yep.  Red rocker switch breaker type. Force 4 seems to be the most common brand stocked at ‘proper’ chandlers. 

Look at the size of the wiring at the back between switches and fuses and then think will that carry the start-up load of my Fridge, freezer etc etc.

The ones I bought looked to be 0.5mm2 wires - definitely not suitable for a boat distribution panel.

Would be buying online so may not get that opportunity.  .  Actually assumed that they wouldn’t be wired at all to be honest.   

45 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If you've not seen these, - they are very good quality and Gary is happy to tailor to your requirements...

GS Controls | Electrical control panels | Electrical equipment

Cheers. Seems a decent price.  

48 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If you've not seen these, - they are very good quality and Gary is happy to tailor to your requirements...

GS Controls | Electrical control panels | Electrical equipment

I've had these GS control panels on my boat for 15 years and they are still going strong. A 12 way distribution and breaker panel and a 4 way rocker switch panel. I replaced the daisy chain power distribution from one switch to the next on the breaker panel with individual wires from each back to the positive bus bar so as not to overload the wiring when there were many things on at once.

34 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I replaced the daisy chain power distribution from one switch to the next on the breaker panel with individual wires from each back to the positive bus bar so as not to overload the wiring when there were many things on at once.

I note that GS seem to supply a number of boatbuilders. Do they all have the daisy chained wiring? If so there must be a lot of narrow boats out there wired like this and we don't hear of fires or failures due to overloaded distribution board wiring.

That said, I would prefer to do it your way.

Given that all the components can be bought online, and there are plenty of places which will engrave traffolyte to your own design, are these premade panels any cheaper than DIY, especially for a bespoke panel?

40 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Would be buying online so may not get that opportunity.  .  Actually assumed that they wouldn’t be wired at all to be honest.   

Cheers. Seems a decent price.  

the good thing is he'll etch the board for you and you can purchase spare switches/breakers etc....  i like this panel as there are no illuminated lights (its in the bedroom)....

image.png.9e8a11fba46aeda1913e27292a4079ff.png

Just now, David Mack said:

I note that GS seem to supply a number of boatbuilders. Do they all have the daisy chained wiring? If so there must be a lot of narrow boats out there wired like this and we don't hear of fires or failures due to overloaded distribution board wiring.

Given that all the components can be bought online, and there are plenty of places which will engrave traffolyte to your own design, are these premade panels any cheaper than DIY, especially for a bespoke panel?

Probably not but sometimes it’s easier to spend the money to buy a purpose made unit as a starting point or to save you having to make every single thing on the boat yourself.  Given the equipment and skill there’s not much you can’t make yourself to be fair.  

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

there are 4 positive connectors from the positive daiychain so ample to go back to the bussbar to avoid overloading (top and bottom of each switch run)

20230228_085354.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've done it both ways. Used GS panels on my own boat and used custom made panels on a couple of friends boats. In those cases, we were reusing switches and instruments and replacing the tired, faded, or damaged original panel, so there was a budget for a snazzy aluminium one, with the boat name as well as the switch legends engraved. Most cities and many towns will have a small company making one off panels in a variety of materials for local firms. Find one who's happy to take on an non-professional customer, if you can supply suitable cad drawings.

I too have found Gary at GS to be helpful,  i wanted to upgrade from an 8Way to 12 way and he was happy to supply a 12 way with just the 4 extra switches/breakers at a reasonable price.  My only comment would be that relying on the 1/4" spade connectors is a not ideal, but as Rob says you just need to make multiple connections and take them to a small bus bar, or what I did was splice some short leads onto the end of my battery feed and take those to the panel.  (I think even the yellow crimp connectors will only take 4 or 6mm wire. ).   

The other thing is to arrange the high load circuits to be close to the incoming feeds. 

I notice the photo is using piggyback blades for daisy-chaining the positives. I don't like that, so it would be a busbar for me. However, none of our hire boats or my own boat needed such a complex panel full of switches. Some switches on the engine control panel (horn, tunnel lamp, bilge pump) and the rest at convenient places around the boat. Like fridge switch in the galley, and paired water pump switches in galley and toilet.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I notice the photo is using piggyback blades for daisy-chaining the positives. I don't like that, so it would be a busbar for me. However, none of our hire boats or my own boat needed such a complex panel full of switches. Some switches on the engine control panel (horn, tunnel lamp, bilge pump) and the rest at convenient places around the boat. Like fridge switch in the galley, and paired water pump switches in galley and toilet.

That is a valid comment for a canal boat with limited 'accessories', but on my cruiser  I have things like bilge blowers, VHF radio, Radar, GPS, Depth Sounders, Nav lights, Anchor light, autopilot, water pump, light switches (master), Fridge,  spotlights, searchlight, deck sockets, cabin sockets etc etc.

I have 2x panels (at the helm) and each has 12 switches alongside the 2x Engine panels (twin engined) each with Ammeter, oil pressure, water temp and rev counter.

They are both wired back to busbars.

Alongside the wheel is one of the daisy chained switch panels as discussed above - it is not used but was put in for any extra accessories that maybe fitted. 

Versatility-35-13.jpg