Flue - what a nightmare.

Hoorayforboobies

Featured Posts

Howdy all. 

flue question. 
so much conflicting advice on the internet. 

I have a 4.5kw lily king stove with 5” collar but NO flue at all. 

Does anyone know if there is a flue kit out there? 
or if the morso 5” flue kit will fit? 

5” is 5” which ever way you look at it or am I missing something? 

ideally I’d love a list of bits to obtain so I can fit quicksmart - it’s getting cold! 

thanks! 

Howdy all. 

flue question. 

ideally I’d love a list of bits to obtain so I can fit quicksmart - it’s getting cold! 

thanks! 

Howdy! 

flue question. 

ideally I’d love a list of bits to obtain so I can fit quicksmart - it’s getting cold! 

thanks! 

If you have a 5" (internal diameter) stove collar, your need approx 4.5" (external diameter) flue pipe to allow for thermal expansion. You pack out the gap with glass rope and seal it with Envirograf high temperature silicone. It's that simple. Do this on the roof collar too.

There was a recent thread on packing the gap and sealing it so have a search for that.

I know some people have twin wall flue pipe but I think it's a waste of time. All you need is mild steel pipe 4mm wall thickness is good. Have a look on eBay and get your length measurements right! If you have to buy it longer than you need it can easily be cut down with an angle grinder/1mm slitting disc. If it's not painted before you fit it spray it black with some stove paint outside the boat first.

4.5" is 114mm

Edited by blackrose

29 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you have a 5" (internal diameter) stove collar, your need approx 4.5" (external diameter) flue pipe to allow for thermal expansion. You pack out the gap with glass rope and seal it with Envirograf high temperature silicone. It's that simple. Do this on the roof collar too.

There was a recent thread on packing the gap and sealing it so have a search for that.

I know some people have twin wall flue pipe but I think it's a waste of time. All you need is mild steel pipe 4mm wall thickness is good. Have a look on eBay and get your length measurements right! If you have to buy it longer than you need it can easily be cut down with an angle grinder/1mm slitting disc. If it's not painted before you fit it spray it black with some stove paint outside the boat first.

4.5" is 114mm

Excellent info! Thanks! 

its 5” external diameter. 

As it stands there is nothing above the stove. Could you advise of what parts I need please? From stove collar to roof would be greatly appreciated! 

thanks! 

23 minutes ago, Morris said:

Good username op, I am also a sulidae fan but alas have only had opportunity to see the gannet thus far. 

Thanks!

It’s actually in reference to a bloodhound gang album. Worth a listen if your ears aren’t easily offended and your enjoy well versed prose. 

You need a collar on the stove, to take the bottom of a flue pipe, which may be straight or cranked, a roof collar that sits on the roof and takes the top of the flue pie inside it and a detachable chimney outside it and a suitable exterior chimney with rain hat ( aka Chinaman's 'at) .  Then you need about 2m of stove rope that fits in the gaps between the flue and the collars, a tube of Envirograf high temperature flue sealant and a gun for squirting it.  Some masking tape may help with getting a neat finish.

The flue pipe will be straight if you can get the roof collar directly over the collar in the flue.  Otherwise you will need it to be welded up with a couple of bends.

The stove rope wants to be a bit bigger diameter than half the gap between flue and pipe.  So for a 4.5 inch outside flue in a 5 inch inside collar you want 7 to 10 mm stove rope.

Pack the rope in to the gap firmly and fill the remaining space with Envirograf and tool off neatly.  Repeat at a the top.

Fire cement is made from the Devils droppings and is wholly unsuited to boats.  ( It cracks and is then useless.) 

N

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You need a collar on the stove, to take the bottom of a flue pipe, which may be straight or cranked, a roof collar that sits on the roof and takes the top of the flue pie inside it and a detachable chimney outside it and a suitable exterior chimney with rain hat ( aka Chinaman's 'at) .  Then you need about 2m of stove rope that fits in the gaps between the flue and the collars, a tube of Envirograf high temperature flue sealant and a gun for squirting it.  Some masking tape may help with getting a neat finish.

The flue pipe will be straight if you can get the roof collar directly over the collar in the flue.  Otherwise you will need it to be welded up with a couple of bends.

The stove rope wants to be a bit bigger diameter than half the gap between flue and pipe.  So for a 4.5 inch outside flue in a 5 inch inside collar you want 7 to 10 mm stove rope.

Pack the rope in to the gap firmly and fill the remaining space with Envirograf and tool off neatly.  Repeat at a the top.

Fire cement is made from the Devils droppings and is wholly unsuited to boats.  ( It cracks and is then useless.) 

N

You sir get +100 points. 
that is exactly the explanation I was looking for. 

4” internal diameter with 5” external. 

so to summarise 

stove collar 

pipe +/- bends 

Roof collar 

chimney/rain hat

stove rope 

envirograf 

thanks again, you might just be the most useful human being I’ve spoken to all year. 
more plus points for the forum!

29 minutes ago, Hoorayforboobies said:

Excellent info! Thanks! 

its 5” external diameter. 

Ok, measure the ID and adjust the OD of the flue pipe you need accordingly leaving a quarter inch gap (5 or 6mm) on both sides

Edit, sorry I assumed you already had a stove collar, but from what I read above in other posts perhaps you don't? Didn't the stove collar come with the stove?

Edited by blackrose

That is not the correct collar, its a bodge into a cracked collar both of which are stuck in the stove top plate with fire cement, which incidentally what has crack the collar.

That is why you use rope and Envirograf, fire cement wrecks collars.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Agree with Tracy. The collar is the cracked bit next to the stove top.  You need a new one.

The rest is a bodge to fit a small diameter  flue.  You need a piece ofjoj flue pipe the same outer diameter as the outside diameter of the lodging piece.  Seal the collar to the stove as the manufacturer intended.  Probably stove rope in a groove.  Seal the flue to the collar with stove rope and Envirograf.

The roof collar should be like this:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ag-cast-iron-roof-collar-for-6-diameter-chimneys-flat-cabin-roof-hc-701-flat?cid=17612310910&adgpid=&itemid=&targid=&mt=&loc=1006739&ntwk=x&dev=m&dmod=&adp=&gclid=CjwKCAjwvfmoBhAwEiwAG2tqzLKVnurfiTMKlnCHjGOHvo9r6w5XUVKaxHrNzcFBKKBA8di4eGN5AxoC200QAvD_BwE

I have never heard of a lily king stove. Is it a Chinese device??

N

Edited by BEngo
Add collar URL

4 hours ago, Hoorayforboobies said:

Howdy all. 

flue question. 

thanks! 

I can't find any details of this stove online, 

They appear to be a Northampton based outfit.  The Google picture of their HQ does not look to have foundry tendencies, but might be suited to  an assembly operation. IMO such would be based on imported cast parts. They describe themselves as stove builders.

The first thing the OP needs is an OEM collar. This is pretty important because it involves/ makes  the stove to collar joint, which must  be CO tight. It might be possible to clone a collar, but it would be wise to have a sound OEM item to be sure that any special features are included in the clone.

N

40 minutes ago, BEngo said:

They appear to be a Northampton based outfit.  The Google picture of their HQ does not look to have foundry tendencies, but might be suited to  an assembly operation. IMO such would be based on imported cast parts. They describe themselves as stove builders.

The first thing the OP needs is an OEM collar. This is pretty important because it involves/ makes  the stove to collar joint, which must  be CO tight. It might be possible to clone a collar, but it would be wise to have a sound OEM item to be sure that any special features are included in the clone.

N

There are some spares available here Lilyking Stoves Spare Parts - StoveSpareParts it looks as if UK Stoves Ltd are just a retailer like several others.

This is what a cranked flue pipe looks like.

20231005_094214.thumb.jpg.3bda4fb48ec2f1624e1cc679432da877.jpg

Replacement pipe for Fulbourne's Epping back cabin stove, which I picked up from Dave Ross this morning. Unlike most stoves, at the bottom end this has a collar on the outside of the pipe, which fits over the top of the smoke box, also shown. The top end is just plain to fit inside the roof collar.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are some spares available here Lilyking Stoves Spare Parts - StoveSpareParts it looks as if UK Stoves Ltd are just a retailer like several others.

Make sure you can get the old collar off before buying a new one, or you may find you have a new collar and a broken stove.

Thanks guys you’ve certainly helped a lot! 

one more question which seems to be the biggest headache of them all. 

the collar for the stove is 6” which can be sourced from the above establishment. 

I absolutely cannot find a cast iron roof collar to fit the 6” flue. They’re all for diameters up to 5” max. 

any ideas? 

to say I’m stuck is an understatement and I really cannot afford to buy a new stove. 

thanks in advance!