Effective volunteering as a CCer?

Ewan123

Featured Posts

As came up in another thread:

I know I could look harder, but as a CCer liveaboard I do wish it were a bit easier to find canal related volunteering tasks to join in with. Constantly moving around does make it challenging to find volunteering 'events' to get stuck in with, short of tailoring my cruise pattern to arrive in a location for a scheduled event.

Maybe there could be "roaming volunteers" with a list of available tasks around the network that could be claimed by them as and when they come across one nearby. (Edit: I've shared this idea with CRT, will see if there is any response...)

Does anyone have experience of being useful while constantly on the move?

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 2

The BCNS is easy to get involved in. 
However, I’m ashamed to say,  I’m yet to get involved myself even though I spend a lot of time up there. 
They have regular work parties cleaning and doing ‘stuff’.

Lots of information on their website. 

I imagine most Canal Societies would be glad of some help. 

If by chance you are heading up the Shropshire canal, for instance, I think they have quite an active society. 

Otherwise I think we can do our bit by perhaps doing a bit of litter picking. I know some who do.
I think this year I’ll make a proper effort to fill a few bin liners with rubbish everytime I pass through Factory Locks. 

Good to meet you yesterday 👍

• Greenie 1

You can look at the Volunteer Opportunities section of the CRT website to see what may be going on in the area where you are. Many areas offer 'Towpath Task force' opportunities where you can go along either as a regular once or twice a month, or just turn up to an individual session.

Do you need recognition as an 'official' Volunteer?

You could just moor up for a few hours at the next unmanned lock you come to, and offer to help any passing boaters. Or take a walk down the towpath and trim back vegetation, collect litter etc.

• Greenie 4

I've heard that if you are willing to volunteer for some of the work they do, CRT might allow you to stay longer than normally allowed, in some places anyway. So you might be able to get stuck in and help with a restoration project for a couple of months, which I imagine would be more satisfying for you. 

Thanks for starting this thread Ewan.

I was thinking more in the line of keeping the paddles and gates in operation but appreciate serious issues will be out of the scope of volunteers without the right equipment and spares (some very big equipment and spares in some cases!).

Dredging is also something volunteers could get involved in but I'm not sure how C&RT and their contractors would feel about non paid workers doing the jobs of paid workers.

It depends whether the problem is lack of experienced front line staff or more lack of equipment. Obviously equipment has to be paid for.

I'm focusing on keeping the navigation open rather than just making things look pretty for those who it seems will no longer be contributing towards through taxes (maybe some local authority taxes will though).

Hubby and I were involved with waterway recovery group for many years whilst ccing. Some events we took the boat to - the festivals. Hubby was in charge of security and I cooked for volunteers. Hubby was wrg transport manager. 

I also spent several years volunteering for NABO. It's definitely possible.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

I know I could look harder, but as a CCer liveaboard I do wish it were a bit easier to find canal related volunteering tasks to join in with. Constantly moving around does make it challenging to find volunteering 'events' to get stuck in with, short of tailoring my cruise pattern to arrive in a location for a scheduled event.

Maybe there could be "roaming volunteers" with a list of available tasks around the network that could be claimed by them as and when they come across one nearby. (Edit: I've shared this idea with CRT, will see if there is any response...)

A number of the Waterways Chaplains are continuous cruisers.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

A number of the Waterways Chaplains are continuous cruisers.

I've met a couple of Waterways Chaplains whilst CC'ing over the years. Lovely people, although I can't help feeling that sometimes having an official label can make the job harder sometimes. I guess they get good training and have some back up if things go badly wrong for someone.

There are many CC'ers (and all types of other boater) who help people they meet, it's one of the great things about living in this very linear village.  It always used to be part of the boaty culture to be kind, let's hope that doesn't change.

17 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

I shared the exact same idea with CRT myself

It depends on what you want/are willing to do? There is a long term boater friend of mine who is a forum member but rarely looks in now who is well known to many of us for his superb efforts all round the system in rubbish collection. He has cleared god knows how much stuff in his years afloat @Maffi

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

On 03/10/2023 at 17:23, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

The BCNS is easy to get involved in. 
However, I’m ashamed to say,  I’m yet to get involved myself even though I spend a lot of time up there. 
They have regular work parties cleaning and doing ‘stuff’.

Lots of information on their website. 

I imagine most Canal Societies would be glad of some help. 

If by chance you are heading up the Shropshire canal, for instance, I think they have quite an active society. 

Otherwise I think we can do our bit by perhaps doing a bit of litter picking. I know some who do.
I think this year I’ll make a proper effort to fill a few bin liners with rubbish everytime I pass through Factory Locks. 

Good to meet you yesterday 👍

I'll check out canal societies cheers.

I do like picking up litter when I'm bobbing along in the canoe since I figure it's inaccessible to many. Especially when I can womble a fender or two!

Likewise 👍

On 03/10/2023 at 17:33, Cheese said:

Do you need recognition as an 'official' Volunteer?

You could just moor up for a few hours at the next unmanned lock you come to, and offer to help any passing boaters. Or take a walk down the towpath and trim back vegetation, collect litter etc.

I don't need recognition, I already do some litter picking and tend to cut back things like bramble and rose dangling at face level. It's not always obvious what jobs would be most useful though - I might spend an hour trimming vegetation only to find the planned maintenence cut comes by a week later anyway. There are benefits to an organisation coordinating efforts.

On 03/10/2023 at 19:08, Tony1 said:

I've heard that if you are willing to volunteer for some of the work they do, CRT might allow you to stay longer than normally allowed, in some places anyway. So you might be able to get stuck in and help with a restoration project for a couple of months, which I imagine would be more satisfying for you. 

Interesting suggestion... I prefer moving on but that might be good for a one-off.

10 hours ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

I shared the exact same idea with CRT myself

Presumably to no avail?