Victron - The only choice.

truckcab79

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Or you may know something about boats that another Newbie might not know, especially if it’s a cheap do-a-upper Springer, as you’ve probably expanded your knowledge now from what you can write on the back of a postage stamp to the back of a postcard.😂

As I said previously, Goodbye then👍

Nope.  I still know nothing as my time here didn’t really add much.    😂

But if I need any Walter Mitty type compass info I’m going to be back here like a shot.  

In the meantime enjoy all the non-boat nonsense on here.  👍😂

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Change the record, your constant whinging about this beyond tedious. No-one is forcing you to visit CWF if you hate it here so much.

I live in hope of something boat related.  👍😂

• Unimpressed 1

46 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Image shamlessly borrowed from a Victron facebook group. The fault by the people commenting blaming it on many things including poor installation, poor design, lack of ferrules.

419001800_7893782850636874_5502232003145263948_n.jpg

Pretty close to a fuel line if it did go up in flames 🔥 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

29 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

What piece of Victron equipment is it? 

Pretty close to a fuel line if it did go up in flames 🔥 

Ah, dunno. I can't seem to drive facebook well enough to find the page again. Awful user experience. At a guess, I would say its one of them combi inverter/charger things.

Edited by rusty69

24 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I'm really confused by this thread.  Is the title a question or a statement?  Is there actually a question posed??

Maybe you didn’t read my very first post. The question is there and copied below for you. Unfortunately it’s got a bit lost along the way and never really been answered. My research on other platforms has suggested that Renogy is worth your consideration if you’re looking though their customer service and back-up seems a bit lacking by all accounts.  

‘Are there other reliable and obviously lower priced brands that people have first hand experience of?’

To be fair, reading back, the first page of the thread has a number of useful first hand recommendations from folk. Eg Sterling, Mastervolt. After that it descended into the usual non-boat nonsense.  

Edited by truckcab79

5 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

My research on other platforms has suggested that Renogy is worth your consideration if you’re looking though their customer service and back-up seems a bit lacking by all accounts.  

Avoid their cheap inverters. I bought one but sent it back for a refund after I discovered they're not N-E bonded.

31 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But that would be taking the thread in the wrong direction off track😉  

Or maybe stop now as this thread has only just got vaguely back on track. You must have something better to do than ruin threads with your babbling surely.  🙄

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Avoid their cheap inverters. I bought one but sent it back for a refund after I discovered they're not N-E bonded.

Faulty, or an old design?  Worth people doing their own research as their manuals state that they are although manual below is in ‘American’

UK version says it’s equipped with a ‘Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor’ but recommend connecting it to an external one also. 

I have spoken to a marine electrical company who say they are perfectly safe to install and they have done many, though that was in discussion about their inverter / charger. 

The UK instructions for info. 

https://www.renogy.com/content/R-INVT-PGH1-10111S/R-INVT-PGH1-3kw Manual.pdf

IMG_0245.png.5c0baebc9e063d17c383ec49ad63682f.png

Edited by truckcab79

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

Or maybe stop now as this thread has only just got vaguely back on track. You must have something better to do than ruin threads with your babbling surely.  🙄

Faulty, or an old design?  Worth people doing their own research as their manuals state that they are although manual below is in ‘American’

UK version says it’s equipped with a ‘Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor’ but recommend connecting it to an external one also. 

I have spoken to a marine electrical company who say they are perfectly safe to install and they have done many, though that was in discussion about their inverter / charger. 

The UK instructions for info. 

https://www.renogy.com/content/R-INVT-PGH1-10111S/R-INVT-PGH1-3kw Manual.pdf

IMG_0245.png.5c0baebc9e063d17c383ec49ad63682f.png

Ironic really innit. DYOR is exactly what I was trying to tell you earlier in this thread. I am glad you finally found your answer. 

It's interesting that the one you researched is N-E bonded, yet the one I looked at and the one blackrose purchased was not. 

I'm glad you finally found the importance of such a requirement in some installations. 

Edited by rusty69

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

The 'penalty of $5,000' is a little intriguing. One wonders who such a penalty may be payable to. 

Anyone know ?

It says something about violators and water surface. 

Is this a way for Victron to get more money or might it relate to something behind the combi unit? 

I have a warning notice fetish. 

IMG_20240119_081935.jpg.f583e58d32ce82f862794966ee40575d.jpg

Its psychologically damaging to not know the full extent of this warning notice + I want one. 

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ironic really innit. DYOR is exactly what I was trying to tell you earlier in this thread. I am glad you finally found your answer. 

It's interesting that the one you researched is N-E bonded, yet the one I looked at and the one blackrose purchased was not. 

I'm glad you finally found the importance of such a requirement in some installations. 

Could you sound any more patronising 😂. DYOR was never an answer to my question or any other.  

All of this IS the research. The forum, Facebook, talking to experts (by which I mean qualified folk not just those who claim to be or who repeat why they’ve read online). I don’t claim any knowledge if I don’t have it and I also don’t automatically believe everything I’m told without checking. If I did I’d have written off Renogy on the strength of someone telling me they’re not bonded (and maybe they weren’t). The joy of forums.  👍

• Haha 1

Rolls eyes. 

And exactly how you got to the point you now have, though I suspect you can thank Facebook for that. 

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Anyone know ?

It says something about violators and water surface. 

Is this a way for Victron to get more money or might it relate to something behind the combi unit? 

I have a warning notice fetish. 

IMG_20240119_081935.jpg.f583e58d32ce82f862794966ee40575d.jpg

Its psychologically damaging to not know the full extent of this warning notice + I want one. 

I thought you were already alchohology challenged. 

Edited by rusty69

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Rolls eyes. 

And exactly how you got to the point you now have, though I suspect you can thank Facebook for that. 

It was to be fair.  Narrowboat Owners Group predominantly and also a company called GP Marine. Can thoroughly recommend you have a look at both. 👍

3 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

It was to be fair.  Narrowboat Owners Group predominantly and also a company called GP Marine. Can thoroughly recommend you have a look at both. 👍

Thats fair enough then. I assume you arrived at the N-E bonding questions on the sites you mentioned before I mentioned them on here. If so, I do appologise to you.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Thats fair enough then. I assume you arrived at the N-E bonding questions on the sites you mentioned before I mentioned them on here. If so, I do appologise to you.

No problem at all. Without banging on about it more than I normally do the general tone on here drove me to try Facebook for hobbies, which I’ve never done before and it’s been a very positive revelation.  

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, yes, I seem to recall we have had this conversation before. I don't think all the Victron temperature sensors are born equal. Mine is on the smart battery sense thing, so I would think its quite accurate, but always seems to read lower than both the BMS and an independant thermometer I have put in there.

Right now the motor/generator/controller sensors (I believe these are all Victron wired ones) are reading 11C/11C/10C and the battery one is reading 4C. That reading comes from the BMS not the Cerbo, so I assume it's using the sensor supplied by the BMS manufacturer (REC?).

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Rolls eyes. 

I thought you were already alchohology challenged. 

On the wagon at the moment. 

• Horror 1
  • Angry 1

17 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes to someone who jumped on moaning as usual. Now let it get back on topic.

And see that it looks like your running out of diesel, seams to use a couple of Lts a day when it kicks in?

Over the last 7 days (some really cold) the heating has been on for a total of 8.25 hours and used 17l of diesel, that's an average of 1.2hrs/day and 2.4l/day -- so 2l/hr when the boiler is on. Sounds a lot compared to an Eberspacher/Webasto but then the output is a lot higher, I believe it's a Bubble which puts out 14kW. Doesn't run all the time, it comes on in relatively short bursts of about 20mins each, for frost protection the most I've seen on the coldest day was 5 bursts about 4h apart when it's coldest at night.

Nest.jpg

Edited by IanD