Victron - The only choice.

truckcab79

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I really do not know why you are persuing this 'argument' - I have agreed that the mils compass is is a standard military issue - just not for the Infantry.

You should also remember that the NSN numbering system was introduced in the USA in 1974 and was taken on board by all NATO members over the subsequent years. My rifle is dated 1971

My compass predates the use of NSN numbers by the British and is marked up as 'Compass MKIII' (No NSN numbers)

My 'degrees' compass (standard issue to the infantry) also predates the NSN system and is marked up as 'Compass MKIII'

The Binoculars are marked "Bino. Prism No2 MkII"

The watch is a standard "CWC" issue and does have the NSN on the rear.

If you wish to discuss further please take it to PMs.

There’s nothing to discuss, your wrong when you say “just not for the Infantry”

they are the issue compass for the Army be it an infantry regiment or an artillery regiment or a Mortar troop, anti-tank troop within a regiment. They do not use degrees on these prismatic compasses, everyone uses Mls, I do not know where you get the infantry only get these compass’s in degrees from. 

7 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

There’s nothing to discuss, your wrong when you say “just not for the Infantry”

they are the issue compass for the Army be it an infantry regiment or an artillery regiment or a Mortar troop, anti-tank troop within a regiment. They do not use degrees on these prismatic compasses, everyone uses Mls, I do not know where you get the infantry only get these compass’s in degrees from. 

This was 50 years ago.

I suppose this is a figment of my imagination

g.jpg

Thats all  from me.

Fin !

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This was 50 years ago.

I suppose this is a figment of my imagination

g.jpg

Thats all  from me.

Fin !

Oh sorry didn’t know you were talking post WW2 era as you never mentioned it, thought you were talking a more recent era within the last 50 years to present day not before, as I say I must of missed that when you mentioned it and as they say in the military:

“EndEx”

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

10 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Oh sorry didn’t know you were talking post WW2 era as you never mentioned it,

Yes I did - when you first raised the issue that I had been 'had'.

I mentioned the Falklands war where my (1971 built) rifle was used.

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, the standard compass is 'degrees', the sniper used the 'mils' to establish distances. They were normally issued to the Artillery but snipers were the elite and could request pretty much anything they wanted,

I have the complete issued L42a (Falklands war) issue Sniper rifle and full CES (Complete Equipment Schedule = all the items issued with the rifle, watch, compass, binoculars etc)

I also have a WW2 No4T sniper rifle and CES, this was issued with a 'degree' compass.

Both of these are 'live'.

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes I did - when you first raised the issue that I had been 'had'.

I mentioned the Falklands war where my (1971 built) rifle was used.

I don’t think you mentioned you were specifically talking about infantry in any Era or War,  you just kept saying the infantry had Deg compass’s and only the Artillery had Mls, maybe all prismatic Marching Compass’s of WWII were in Degs? 
 Do you know the name of the Sniper that used your rifle in the Falkland or his Regiment? 

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I don’t think you mentioned you were specifically talking about infantry in any Era or War,  you just kept saying the infantry had Deg compass’s and only the Artillery had Mls, maybe all prismatic Marching Compass’s of WWII were in Degs? 
 Do you know the name of the Sniper that used your rifle in the Falkland or his Regiment? 

Replied by PM

The discussion about separate units vs. combis has been had before. Each unit (charger + inverter) in the separate cases has similar components and complexity, the only real difference is that the combi power bridge can work in both directions and the control software is more complex. So you'd expect the failure rates of all three to be similar, and IIRC this was what Victron have said on the community forum.

Which means with separate units the cost is higher due to duplication, and with similar MTBF the chances of a failure of one or the other in a given time is higher than a combo. If it matters to you, the combi also does a better job of switching between modes and power sources. The worry about what happens with a shore power failure is alleviated if you have remote monitoring and control, which all Victron combis do if you have a modem/router.

So the choice is pay more for separates -- and presumably have bigger power loss if both are running? -- and get a failure more often but only lose one function, or pay less for a combi with more flexibility/funtionality and get a failure less often but lose everything if it happens.

It's not obvious to me that one or the other is "better", they both have advantages and disadvantages -- just like most things on boats... 😉 (e.g. sterns, toilets, heating, layout...)

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

How far off topic can you get?

Come on, children, stop squabbling.

I don’t even bother posting threads or my build on this forum any more as it’s dominated by this nonsense and largely worthless for proper info.  

Surely the Admins should be deleting or closing threads when they go off like this. (Or are they the ones posting it?). 

And before the admins give me the old ‘we don’t get paid, we give up our spare time for this’ garbage just bear in mind you volunteered. If you don’t have time to do it properly then give it up. If the end result is the forum closes then so be it. Nothing lost except for a handful of people arguing about compasses or whether they’re just making stuff up to bolster their ‘facts’. 

13 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

I don’t even bother posting threads or my build on this forum any more as it’s dominated by this nonsense and largely worthless for proper info.  

Surely the Admins should be deleting or closing threads when they go off like this. (Or are they the ones posting it?). 

And before the admins give me the old ‘we don’t get paid, we give up our spare time for this’ garbage just bear in mind you volunteered. If you don’t have time to do it properly then give it up. If the end result is the forum closes then so be it. Nothing lost except for a handful of people arguing about compasses or whether they’re just making stuff up to bolster their ‘facts’. 

Well hopefully you’ll stick with Instagram and maybe just pop on here for any help you require.

9 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Well hopefully you’ll stick with Instagram and maybe just pop on here for any help you require.

No. Instagram for the build and I’m now on a handful of Facebook groups pretty much all of which have provided measured, sensible and most importantly a broad range of opinions and advice. Good spread of professionals on there happy to give advice also which is really useful. 

6 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

No. Instagram for the build and I’m now on a handful of Facebook groups pretty much all of which have provided measured, sensible and most importantly a broad range of opinions and advice. Good spread of professionals on there happy to give advice also which is really useful. 

Goodbye then.

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

Change the record, your constant whinging about this beyond tedious. No-one is forcing you to visit CWF if you hate it here so much.

15 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

I’ll still be popping in. Who knows. Might read something useful about compasses. 😂

Or you may know something about boats that another Newbie might not know, especially if it’s a cheap do-a-upper Springer, as you’ve probably expanded your knowledge now from what you can write on the back of a postage stamp to the back of a postcard.😂

As I said previously, Goodbye then👍

19 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Or you may know something about boats that another Newbie might not know, especially if it’s a cheap do-a-upper Springer, as you’ve probably expanded your knowledge now from what you can write on the back of a postage stamp to the back of a postcard.😂

As I said previously, Goodbye then👍

Oh dear, more unfriendly off topic posts.

30 minutes ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

And half of them from somebody who thanked me for steering the conversation back to Victron... 😉

Back on topic, if you do have remote monitoring with Victron, you can see things like what happens as the frost protection (diesel CH) kicks in during cold weather...

Batt_V_I.png

batt_temp.png

diesel_tank.png

Edited by IanD

45 minutes ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

Yes to someone who jumped on moaning as usual. Now let it get back on topic.

38 minutes ago, IanD said:

And half of them from somebody who thanked me for steering the conversation back to Victron... 😉

Back on topic, if you do have remote monitoring with Victron, you can see things like what happens as the frost protection (diesel CH) kicks in during cold weather...

Batt_V_I.png

batt_temp.png

diesel_tank.png

And see that it looks like your running out of diesel, seams to use a couple of Lts a day when it kicks in?

16 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes to someone who jumped on moaning as usual. Now let it get back on topic.

And see that it looks like your running out of diesel, seams to use a couple of Lts a day when it kicks in?

Yes, but only when it's really cold, most of the time it doesn't do anything. Also zero isn't really zero, after the fuel problem where we though there might be fuel contamination it's set to well above the bottom of the tank or even where the pickup pipe is, maybe 30% above completely empty. Don't think I'll need to top the tank up again this winter...

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes, but only when it's really cold, most of the time it doesn't do anything. Also zero isn't really zero, after the fuel problem where we though there might be fuel contamination it's set to well above the bottom of the tank or even where the pickup pipe is, maybe 30% above completely empty. Don't think I'll need to top the tank up again this winter...

And is zero really zero on your temperature measuring device?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And is zero really zero on your temperature measuring device?

I suspect it's actually a bit pessimistic, it consistently reads lower than the ones on the generator and motor and controller which all agree with each other -- and the controller is bolted to the swim so it and the battery ought to both be close to water temperature... 😉

Next time I'm on the boat I'll try and check them all against a laser thermometer, if any are out they can be calibrated.

Edited by IanD

11 minutes ago, IanD said:

I suspect it's actually a bit pessimistic, it consistently reads lower than the ones on the generator and motor and controller which all agree with each other -- and the controller is bolted to the swim so it and the battery ought to both be close to water temperature... 😉

Ah, yes, I seem to recall we have had this conversation before. I don't think all the Victron temperature sensors are born equal. Mine is on the smart battery sense thing, so I would think its quite accurate, but always seems to read lower than both the BMS and an independant thermometer I have put in there.