Book on maintaining a narrowboat

kats

Featured Posts

Assuming you are buying a steel boat. You likely won't find a book on narrowboat maintenance. I have a ten year old book on maintenance, not really for inland waterways.Nigel Calder.

There are too many variations with respect to design, engine, heating, hot water systems.

The first requirenent on my list was to get something by a good builder, in good condition.

The hull of my boat was epoxied from new, 1999 and no obvious rust. I have given it three coats of two pack epoxy. I will probably prepare for sale with another coat and then a compatible gloss topcoat.

I think if you look at a few top  end boats, and compare their finish with the mid priced boats you will see that those made by craftsmen don't need as much maintenance, the materials are better, the workmanship is better 

I paint the exterior on a rolling system, using modern marine paints. The gunwales need sanded, but not to remove all paint, I want to build up paint as long as there is no rust below. 

I paint the roof every year since i had it sanded to expose rust and remove flaking paint, I painted the cabin sides two years ago, and four years ago.

I change oil and oil filters twice a year. 

Edited by LadyG

57 minutes ago, kats said:

Hi, new to canal world and been searching for our first boat for a couple of months now. Can anyone recommend a detailed book that covers narrowboat maintenance/DIY?

Many thanks.

I'm not aware of any book specifically bout narrowboat maintenance and DIY. A good resource is @Tony Brooks web site tb-training.co.uk/

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, kats said:

Hi, new to canal world and been searching for our first boat for a couple of months now. Can anyone recommend a detailed book that covers narrowboat maintenance/DIY?

Many thanks.

Loads of book when you google "narrowboat maintenance books".

Here is a random one. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31261210835&ref_=ps_ggl_2039220669&cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_Tradestandard-_-product_id=UK9781852238612USED-_-keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw3oqoBhAjEiwA_UaLtuWRWGArZeWp_Z7EhfCiyHiWPoLVT_AXPM5TGOckS2MCXFJHuvtg2BoC21YQAvD_BwE

That said I doubt any are as comprehensive as Tony Brooks website.

So that's about ten second hand copies of a boat written in 1995.

I did mention my Nigel Calder, I have the same edition, and there is not much in it about routine maintenance of my narrowboat, I don't think he mentions my engine. I tried to find a manual, but I think these are marinised engines, the sort of thing found in heavy machinery. 

Edited by LadyG

There are other books on engine maintenance. This is the one I have.

IMG_20230914_205934.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely by now you don't expect her posts to be factually correct, do you?

I think it's the blunt certainty with which her factually incorrect answers are given that always amazes me. I don't mind people being wrong, we're all fallible, but when someone is wrong and also so sure of themselves so often....

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'm not aware of any book specifically bout narrowboat maintenance and DIY. A good resource is @Tony Brooks web site tb-training.co.uk/

This is really helpful, thank you!

36 minutes ago, blackrose said:

IMG_20230914_205934.jpg

I think it's the blunt certainty with which her factually incorrect answers are given that always amazes me. I don't mind people being wrong, we're all fallible, but when someone is wrong and also so sure of themselves so often....

Perfect, thank you - will give this a go!

19 hours ago, blackrose said:

IMG_20230914_205934.jpg

Maybe check the attribution in that book, but I can't be responsible for  any alternations she made.

Much better photos, so probably easier to grasp than my site.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Right, some time ago I wrote a servicing part work for Canal Boat. It consists of 7 Word files totalling about 24 Mb. If the OP or anyone else wants them emailed then send an email request to Tony@tb-training.co.uk and I will send them.

I could convert them to docx format and try to put hem on the forum, but I fear they may be too large.

20 hours ago, kats said:

This is really helpful, thank you!

Perfect, thank you - will give this a go!

Before you do, if it is not too late, I may have what you what on file. My offer via the forum seems to need modding, but if you email me (tony@tb-training.co.uk) I will tell explain.

21 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Right, some time ago I wrote a servicing part work for Canal Boat. It consists of 7 Word files totalling about 24 Mb. If the OP or anyone else wants them emailed then send an email request to Tony@tb-training.co.uk and I will send them.

I could convert them to docx format and try to put hem on the forum, but I fear they may be too large.

Thank you for his, that sounds great. I will send you an email.

I was on the last maintenance corse ran by RCR in Jan 2020. The corse notes were bound and accredited to a certain Mr Brooks. As this was the last course its possible they nay have some copies stored away somewhere. Maybe worth asking them if they have any and could send you one for a small price. 20230917_132442.thumb.jpg.950103804827a10f542c011ba129f125.jpg