Gray community

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

What was worse the country the western or the widebeam. 
we require an offensiveness index.

Hands down the Music! The genre wouldn’t have mattered actually, it’s all equally offensive when blasted from the rear of a boat on a canal. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But has it always been thus?  I remember when I was first married ( just! )  we had nothing, parents supported us. Our mortgage was a fiddle being four times our monthly earnings. The baby wore nothing new, neither did we, there were no charity shops then. We burnt donated old furniture in one fireplace. There was still rationing.

What has changed is the later generations expectations of what constitutes living.

We had no internet or Netflix etc.  No phone, no TV, no car, no holidays, didn't smoke, gamble or drink much.

Folk expect everything on a plate these days and demand what the next family have and more. 

Dont forget the much maligned term " Upgrade " that means your 12 month old, all singing and dancing mobile phone has to be replaced for the latest model at six squillion pounds because its got the latest brushed aluminium case or some other such nonsense :banghead:

However, I do agree that youngsters mortgages are ridiculous, yes the interest rates are peanuts to what I used to pay but the cost of the house is bonkers :( as my grandkids are finding out.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What has changed is the later generations expectations of what constitutes living.

We had no internet or Netflix etc.  No phone, no TV, no car, no holidays, didn't smoke, gamble or drink much.

Folk expect everything on a plate these days and demand what the next family have and more. 

But every generation is the same. Mine expected a radio, a record player (gramophone originally), books, free libraries, access to a GP, schools and university grants. Damn sight more than my parents had before or during the wars.

And I'm not sure that the previous generation, and ours, didn't drink or smoke much. Pubs on every corner with offies, tobacconists ditto. Everyone I worked with in factories, offices or on the council smoked like chimbleys. Gambling - football pools were big money.

The focus has just changed, that's all.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

7 hours ago, Foggy66 said:

I guess it’s just a reflection of society as whole. The baby boomer generation has guilt edged pensions and lots of disposable income whereas the younger generation are struggling to make ends meet with rising mortgage cost etc. 

I seem to remember my mortgage went up from something like 5 to13% in months, not years.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But every generation is the same. Mine expected a radio, a record player (gramophone originally), books, free libraries, access to a GP, schools and university grants. Damn sight more than my parents had before or during the wars.

And I'm not sure that the previous generation, and ours, didn't drink or smoke much. Pubs on every corner with offies, tobacconists ditto. Everyone I worked with in factories, offices or on the council smoked like chimbleys. Gambling - football pools were big money.

The focus has just changed, that's all.

Standard of living’s improved, 
it’s all Scratch cards and lottery now.

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I seem to remember my mortgage went up from something like 5 to13% in months, not years.

I remember it well, I bought my first house around that time. My point was that the current generation of over 65s are enjoying pensions that seem to be a thing of the past. Basically having the same income in retirement as when working. I know a few boat owners who retired in their 50s and have enjoyed a generous income ever since.

I’m only jealous because I’ll have to work into my 70s to maintain anything like my current standard of living. 

2 minutes ago, Foggy66 said:

I remember it well, I bought my first house around that time. My point was that the current generation of over 65s are enjoying pensions that seem to be a thing of the past. Basically having the same income in retirement as when working. I know a few boat owners who retired in their 50s and have enjoyed a generous income ever since.

I’m only jealous because I’ll have to work into my 70s to maintain anything like my current standard of living. 

Sorry to tell you this, but I am one of them

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

In my experience the so-called younger generation are, and always were, much smarter than oldies give them credit.

Maybe true, or they just think that they are.

The young who think that they know it all should be allowed to rule the world, before they forget most of the essentials like the oldies have.