Wigan lock 69 cill failure

IanD

Featured Posts

So with Wigan closed, it look like the Rochdale -- biggest concern is the stretch down to Ducie Street Junction (stop at Thomas Telford Basin or Piccadilly?). With the summit locks only open at 11am (is this still the case?) this means stopping just before the summit overnight, getting to Slattocks should be no problem (about 6.5 hours?), but the Rose of Lancaster (about 9 hours?) looks like a stretch to say the least given daylight hours in mid-October.

This means doing all 30 locks from the top of Slattocks down into Manchester the following day -- the number doesn't worry me (Canalplan says about 7.5 hours), but slow progress/weed/prop fouls might. Should be easier going down taking water with us, but might still be a slog. I know what the locks are like, we did the reverse trip a few years ago, but it seems conditions have got worse since... 😞

Any comments on how doable this is -- and if not, any better suggestions?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

So with Wigan closed, it look like the Rochdale -- biggest concern is the stretch down to Ducie Street Junction (stop at Thomas Telford Basin or Piccadilly?). With the summit locks only open at 11am (is this still the case?) this means stopping just before the summit overnight, getting to Slattocks should be no problem (about 6.5 hours?), but the Rose of Lancaster (about 9 hours?) looks like a stretch to say the least given daylight hours in mid-October.

This means doing all 30 locks from the top of Slattocks down into Manchester the following day -- the number doesn't worry me (Canalplan says about 7.5 hours), but slow progress/weed/prop fouls might. Should be easier going down taking water with us, but might still be a slog. I know what the locks are like, we did the reverse trip a few years ago, but it seems conditions have got worse since... 😞

Any comments on how doable this is -- and if not, any better suggestions?

That's a hard day Ian you need a big crew and an early start as you will no doubt get holdups. You could probably make it to Islington or Ducie street. (we intend to stop there as Islington now charge £25 a night. There's also good moorings around the corner on the Ashton by the newish houses on the left.

If you want to get clear of the grot areas in one day a reasonable schedule which may help prevent a mutiny is Hebden Bridge to Walsden area( just after lock 30 is good) Then over Summit to Littleborough (Red Lion) or Smithy Bridge. Then down to Irk Aquaduct (Rose of Lancaster). Cast off early and you should get down to Ducie street junction for around 1pm with enough time to do the Rochdale 9 down to Castlefield. You do need to allow for the inevitable visits down the weedhatch and other holdups. When decending from Lock 65 you need to keep one lock between you and any boats going down in front or you will flood them out. Best make sure you are the first to leave Rose or you may meet Captain Slow. He's usually somewhere on the flight especially when you are on a mission.

Edited by Midnight

1 hour ago, IanD said:

With the summit locks only open at 11am (is this still the case?)

11.00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, prebooked only until 31 October.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24741-booking-information-summit-pound-lock-36-to-lock-37-rochdale-canal

1 hour ago, IanD said:

this means stopping just before the summit overnight, getting to Slattocks should be no problem (about 6.5 hours?), but the Rose of Lancaster (about 9 hours?) looks like a stretch to say the least given daylight hours in mid-October.

I might be minded to take an extra day: East Summit to Slattocks, Slattocks to Coach and Horses (if you want to stop at a pub) or Fairfield Top, then down the Manchester 18.  And if you get a good run down the 18 you can carry on down the 9 and maybe get a good way along the Bridgewater too.

6 minutes ago, Midnight said:

That's a hard day Ian you need a big crew and an early start as you will no doubt get holdups. You could probably make it to Islington or Ducie street. (we intend to stop there as Islington now charge £25 a night. There's also good moorings around the corner on the Ashton by the newish houses on the left.

If you want to get clear of the grot areas in one day a reasonable schedule which may help prevent a mutiny is Hebden Bridge to Walsden area( just after lock 30 is good) Then over Summit to Littleborough (Red Lion) or Smithy Bridge. Then down to Irk Aquaduct (Rose of Lancaster). Cast off early and you should get down to Ducie street junction for around 1pm with enough time to do the Rochdale 9 down to Castlefield. You do need to allow for the inevitable visits down the weedhatch and other holdups. When decending from Lock 65 you need to keep one lock between you and any boats going down in front or you will flood them out. Best make sure you are the first to leave Rose or you may meet Captain Slow. He's usually somewhere on the flight especially when you are on a mission.

Do you mean near Piccadilly Footbridge, opposite Thomas Telford? I know there are rings on the private side as well as in the basin but both mean you can't get off the boat because of the key fob gate access, I think there are also some rings opposite on the towpath side?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/obZ3vMqwst7hmWhK9

Slattocks to Ducie Street and Rose of Lancaster to Castlefield are both about as difficult as each other, aren't they?

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

11.00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, prebooked only until 31 October.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24741-booking-information-summit-pound-lock-36-to-lock-37-rochdale-canal

Thanks, that's what I thought -- I was hoping I'd missed a CART notice removing the restriction, but obviously not... 😞

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

Do you mean near Piccadilly Footbridge, opposite Thomas Telford? I know there are rings on the private side as well as in the basin but both mean you can't get off the boat because of the key fob gate access, I think there are also some rings opposite on the towpath side?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/obZ3vMqwst7hmWhK9

Slattocks to Ducie Street and Rose of Lancaster to Castlefield are both about as difficult as each other, aren't they?

Thanks, that's what I thought -- I was hoping I'd missed a CART notice removing the restriction, but obviously not... 😞

Last time I was there there was no fob gate on the left side?
Yes both hard days but 2nd option gets you through the grot spots to Castlefield and beyond in a day.
Summit restriction supposed to be until October 31st. As there will be quite a few diverted boats from Wigan, C&RT should ease restrictions, but I suspect they won't. 

mooring.jpg

mooring2.jpg

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Thank you good sir I didn't know about the limited days - booked now for the 4th

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The notice says
Passage will be available to the direction of Manchester from Sowerby Bridge, and vice versa, at 11am on...

Doesn't say 'from 11am'

If 'at' that's a 7am start from Littleborough

Edited by Midnight
added images for ianD

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Last time I was there there was no fob gate on the left side?
Yes both hard days but 2nd option gets you through the grot spots to Castlefield and beyond in a day.
Summit restriction supposed to be until October 31st. As there will be quite a few diverted boats from Wigan, C&RT should ease restrictions, but I suspect they won't. 

mooring.jpg

mooring2.jpg

Thank you good sir I didn't know about the limited days - booked now for the 4th

The notice says
Passage will be available to the direction of Manchester from Sowerby Bridge, and vice versa, at 11am on...

Doesn't say 'from 11am'

If 'at' that's a 7am start from Littleborough

The fob gates are actually on the footbridge that goes across the canal from the towpath side to the private (Thomas Telford) side, so if you moor on the same side as the basin or in it you're on the wrong side of the gate and the (locked) footbridge is the only way out.

I also read the Rochdale Summit opening as "at 11am" -- presumably they open the locks (both ends of the summit pound) at 11am, let any boats through that are waiting, and then lock them again.

Ducie Street to Lymm is not an especially hard day (except for the Rochdale Nine -- which are still *way* less horrible than when they were privately owned before the Rochdale restoration), and Lymm is a nice overnight stop.

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Too many good pubs to choose from. Sadlers has a slight edge over Brewery Tap but only cos of the friendly landlord and regulars.

The Brewery Tap was where I was thinking of for beer -- and maybe the Chilli Club for dinner?

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There are visitor moorings in the pound below West Summit lock, and it's convenient for the Summit pub.

A long day from The Rose to lock 37. Aiming for Littleborough or Bent House lock  so will need an early start to get to Summit for 11am 

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

There are visitor moorings in the pound below West Summit lock, and it's convenient for the Summit pub.

Indeed, should you be travelling north. I'm assuming it's worth the walk to the Summit pub from the other end of the pound -- any recent reports?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Indeed, should you be travelling north. I'm assuming it's worth the walk to the Summit pub from the other end of the pound -- any recent reports?

Not been in for a while but has always been fine in the past. And I have walked there along the summit a couple of times.

• Greenie 1

So according to today's update Wigan will reopen on October 27 (didn't say which year mind). So it was a good decision to come over the Rochdale as we could easily have run into delays which would have put us into the winter stoppages.

Let's hope @IanD has a trouble-free run over the HNC although that won't count towards my "won't mention Blue Signs again if we both do it" promise. Talking of which ...
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/14871-cart-keeps-its-signs-coming

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

On 06/10/2023 at 17:57, Midnight said:

So according to today's update Wigan will reopen on October 27 (didn't say which year mind). So it was a good decision to come over the Rochdale as we could easily have run into delays which would have put us into the winter stoppages.

Let's hope @IanD has a trouble-free run over the HNC although that won't count towards my "won't mention Blue Signs again if we both do it" promise. Talking of which ...
https://www.narrowboatworld.com/14871-cart-keeps-its-signs-coming

Well a trouble-free run was torpedoed by CART

closing Greenwood lock today, which meant we couldn't make the booked passage at HNC lock 1, which meant the same for Standedge... 😞

Fortunately managed to switch back to the Rochdale with bookings at Tuel Lane (the only boat this week outside the weekend days, apparently...) and the Summit. Now sitting at Mirfield looking forward to a curry at the Al-Nawab followed by a beer at the Navigation -- already checked it out, nice dark mild and a back bar to get wedged in... 🙂

So now hoping that Midnight and friends cleared enough razor wire and mattresses out of the way that we don't suffer the same fate in a couple of days... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

C&RT get something this time!
UPDATE ON 25/10/2023:

Our teams have completed the final stages of the repair to Lock 69 on the Wigan Flight. The cill and apron have been installed and we are now awaiting the cement to cure before replenishing the pound ready for navigation to resume.

However, we’re extremely sorry to advise that this will take longer than we anticipated, following consultation with our engineers, and the suppliers of the concrete, it has been deemed necessary to delay the opening of Lock 69. The strength of the concrete on Friday would not be sufficiently strong enough to deal with the operation of opening and closing the gates. Consequently, it would also be a risk to the newly fitted cill, the concrete apron, and could compromise the fixings.
We are aware that there are a number of customers that have been patiently waiting to access Lock 69, as a result of this necessary delay we have taken the decision to delay the planned Winter Works Stoppage at Lock 68 & Lock 70 until Monday 13 November, this will give any affected customers an extra week to navigate through the flight.
Due to the concrete requiring additional time to set and reach a strength suitable for operation we will now be removing the dams to replenish the levels on Monday 30 October with the flight opening from 8.30 on Tuesday 31 October.

• 1 month later...