To survey or not to survey

Craig Herriman

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Wide beams are a diminishing asset now.  Poor investment.

Tin hat on.

Wouldn't that depend on the initial price paid?

There are exceptions but In general all boats are a diminishing asset and a poor investment. Most people don't buy boats as an investment.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Craig Herriman said:

That would be out if the question now im afraid, I’ve sold my house and need to move fast

Sold as in 'Found a buyer'? Or sold as in 'Exchanged contracts and the completion date set'? 

If the former, you may well have a lot more time than you think! 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Just to expand on this in case it affects the OP's decision, a consultation was held by CRT in the Spring and it is widely considered they were seeking support for a massive hike in widebeam licence charges as they are currently unfairly cheap. It is generally expected the will change the licence basis to some sort of length x width formula so widebeams pay in proportion to all the extra the space they take up.

Results of the consultation and licence revisions due to be announced any time now. (Promised for 'late summer'.)

There is already a supplement applied to license fees based on boat width as  well as length.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

There is already a supplement applied to license fees based on boat width as  well as length.

Yes a token amount, imposed to establish the principle of fatties spaying more than thinnies.

Now its been accepted they will ramp it up to a fair price. 

Hopefully.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes a token amount, imposed to establish the principle of fatties spaying more than thinnies.

Hopefully.

You are clearly predicted against anything that isn't a narrowboat.

Do you have any evidence regarding any new license fee changes extra over inflation?  Its all speculation as  far as I can see.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You are clearly predicted against anything that isn't a narrowboat.

Do you have any evidence regarding any new license fee changes extra over inflation?  Its all speculation as  far as I can see.

Yes, all speculation. As my posts make clear. 

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

Hopefully.

Wow, preferentially sterilising boaters just because they're overweight does seem a bit extreme even by the standards of the current government... 😉

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Craig Herriman said:

Ok, sold as in accepted the offer of a cash buyer 

In that case I suggest you hold back a bit. Don't commit to buying this boat until you've exchanged contracts. If you commit to buying then your house buyer pulls out (or possibly worse, tries to gazunder you aggressively), you could find yourself right up a gum tree. 

At least with cash buyers they generally aren't bothered with stuff like surveys.

Oh!! 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

In that case I suggest you hold back a bit. Don't commit to buying this boat until you've exchanged contracts. If you commit to buying then your house buyer pulls out (or possibly worse, tries to gazunder you aggressively), you could find yourself right up a gum tree. 

At least with cash buyers they generally aren't bothered with stuff like surveys.

Oh!! 

If they are actual cash buyers. I was advised by an estate agent once to accept an offer as the man was a cash buyer. So I did. A couple of weeks later a surveyor came to view the house. Why was he here, I asked. Because they were borrowing money so needed a survey to make sure the house was worth what they were borrowing 

• 6 months later...

Beware the cash buyer! We "sold our house" in March some years ago. The cash buyer then had a total of six surveys done - foundations, structure, electrical, plumbing, roof and even trees in the garden! Then they had a second roof survey. It took until the August to complete, by which time I had to do some very fancy footwork to ensure the bungalow we wanted didn't disappear.

The buyer decided he could make more in interest from the cash than he would pay on a mortgage. He spent two years and vast amounts of cash doing the house up - re wiring, new plumbing, new roof, etc. Put it back on the market for over a million (no, we didn't get anything like that for it) and three years later it's still on the market. He's reduced the price by over twenty thousand and it's still not moving.

Oh dear

Edited by manxmike

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

Beware the cash buyer! We "sold our house" in March some years ago. The cash buyer then had a total of six surveys done - foundations, structure, electrical, plumbing, roof and even trees in the garden! Then they had a second roof survey. It took until the August to complete, by which time I had to do some very fancy footwork to ensure the bungalow we wanted didn't disappear.

The buyer decided he could make more in interest from the cash than he would pay on a mortgage. He spent two years and vast amounts of cash doing the house up - re wiring, new plumbing, new roof, etc. Put it back on the market for over a million (no, we didn't get anything like that for it) and three years later it's still on the market. He's reduced the price by over twenty thousand and it's still not moving.

Oh dear

We had similar with a cash development buyer on a terraced house that her mum had rented out for years to the same couple for years that needed fully modernising. It ran on for months as well.

Also, beware of one buying with a housing association.  They will need housing association approval, the association will have there own solicitor and the buyer will have there own. Then their lender will have there say as well. It will take months, it did.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We had similar with a cash development buyer on a terraced house that her mum had rented out for years to the same couple for years that needed fully modernising. It ran on for months as well.

I sold my first one to the council so they could knock it down. I think we got £400 in cash and a very nice council house to move into!

On 03/09/2023 at 10:07, Tracy D'arth said:

If its a Collinwood, get it surveyed. Many have defects from new, like missing welds!

If it's a C get the bowthruster tube looked at, as they havnt blacked a single one I've seen launched in the last 10 years....and that's more than my fingers and toes...

• Greenie 1