Wolverley and Dudley

jeanb

Featured Posts

Bit of a spanner in the works for us so we are seeking advice please. We are currently in Alvechurch and were hoping to get to Worcester thence Stourport to return to the T&M via Kinver by mid Septemberish. Wolverley Lock is shut until 28th Sept so our plan is not feasible.

The latest stoppage notice asks that we do not travel through Dudley for about 7 weeks so our plan there is also not feasible. It looks like our only option is Farmers Bridge locks (not keen) or via Wolverhampton. We would be very grateful for any advices. Thanks.

If you are going Worcester to the T&M, and not going via Kinver, the obvious routes are via Farmers Bridge or Wolverhampton - Dudley wouldn't come into it unless one had time to spare. Which way I would go would depend where on the T&M I was headed for, the only dilemma would be if it were somewhere around Rugeley in which case it's six of one half of dozen of the other. From central Birmingham it's 36 locks to the T&M via Wolverhampton and 38 via Farmers Bridge - the junctions with the T&M are, of course, separated by 5 locks

All other things being equal I'd go via Wolverhampton, I find Curdworth locks a bit of a drag, but that's entirely personal preference

Thanks very much MP: understood. We're not fans of Farmers Bridge/Curdwoth. 

We like the miniature railway at Kinver and if we get our finger out we'll have time so we could be heading to Stourton Junction but don't want to upset C&RT due to their biological controls. Does anyone recommend overnight moorings near Merry Hill?

32 minutes ago, jeanb said:

We like the miniature railway at Kinver and if we get our finger out we'll have time so we could be heading to Stourton Junction but don't want to upset C&RT due to their biological controls. Does anyone recommend overnight moorings near Merry Hill?

Ones overlooking the shopping centre are great for shopping/supplies and I have never had a problem there.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Withymoor Island Trust? Not *that* near Merry Hill, but friendly, secure (£10 refundable deposit for a gate key), and the nearest mooring to Ma Pardoe's...

(but give them a call first to check they've got space)

We came up Farmers bridge on Sunday and down Wolverhampton yesterday.  Farmers bridge bottom paddles were extremely stiff but no other problems and was very quiet.  Wolverhampton had quite a few boats going down, heading to the gathering at the Bratch but other than that making it slow no issues there either.

We have moored overnight many times at Merry Hill, never had any issues there.

3 hours ago, jeanb said:

I think I might be misunderstanding the route you are  wanting to take. The area that CRT are having biological controls on are at Blowers Green/Parkhead (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26121-weed-issues-dudley-no1-canal-greens-bridge-to-railway-viaduct-parkhead-and-down-on-to-dudley-no2-blowers-green-bridge) and to get to Merry Hill from either theWolverhampton 21 or Farmers you will still be going through it. There does seem a certain lack of logic to the CRT advice as well though since they are asking boaters not to pass through and yet from 6th - 11th there is the Black Country Boating Festival (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26047-black-country-boating-festival-2023), are the hoping that everyone will be coming from the Netherton Tunnel direction?

Thanks very much for replies.  The Black Country Festival looks interesting, however we intend heading to Kinver via Farmers Bridge, Netherton tunnel, and Stourton Junction. Thence northwards to the T&M. ps I couldn't find Netherton tunnel roving bridge on my map.

22 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Thanks very much for replies.  The Black Country Festival looks interesting, however we intend heading to Kinver via Farmers Bridge, Netherton tunnel, and Stourton Junction. Thence northwards to the T&M. ps I couldn't find Netherton tunnel roving bridge on my map.

I'm even more confused now, because to get from Alvechurch to Netherton you don't need to do Farmer's Bridge (they're on the same level).  And you've decided to go through the entire Azolla weed area that CRT have asked people to avoid.

Why don't you go down Wolverhampton and turn left to get to Kinver, and avoid spreading the invasive weed?

Glad I'm not the only one confused on the route from Alvechurch to Kinver, although I have in the past gone via the North Stratford, Knowle, Farmers Bridge and the Wolverhampton 21 just for a change.

Phew. Someone that isn’t actually confused has interjected.

Rumour has it that the Netherton Tunnel Roving Bridge used to allow horses to cross from one towpath to the other in the tunnel. It was very useful in the days of the adits that led to the soup wells. Or was it oil? Someone ask Andy Tidy. He knows.