Lock landings & Water points!!

Quattrodave

Featured Posts

Common for shiny boaters to come through Brentford Thames Lock and moor up overnight on the first mooring they find...which is clearly signposted for the water point and pumpout. Going through the bridge 500m ahead there's always plenty of mooring, maybe they've been scared off by everyone saying that London is always full of boats on every inch of towpath?

Went through in July for a late morning lock out of Brentford and wanting to fill up with water on the way, found an immaculate tug style nb moored on there. Carefully came alongside and trotted across their front deck to tie up only for a rather posh and angry man to stick his head out from the front doors and tell me off for waking him up, then gave me an earful for leaving footprints on the deck. I told him that this is what happens if you moor on a water point, and there's plenty of mooring slightly ahead. Much more indignant shouting followed, I chose to ignore him whilst filling up, then sped away with plenty of power when I was done...

• Greenie 4

On 23/08/2023 at 16:20, Goliath said:

Dog and Doublet springs to mind, possible there on a quiet day,

Is it the Navigation at top of Walsall?

Had a few there while still in lock. Beers lined up on the balance beam.

There’s a few more boozers when either myself or me mate’s gone to fetch the beer.

oh, the Star Inn at Star lock’s another.  

You’d think there would be some sort of challenge set,

An equivalent to the silver propellor,

The pub at Wolverley would work,

Sadly the pub at Dog-in-a-Doublet has shut recently.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sadly the pub at Dog-in-a-Doublet has shut recently.

Yes that was a big disappointment when we came up from Wishbech in May. Hopefully the Dog and Doublet at Bodymoor Heath will still be open when we reverse up that way in September. Very definitely possible to get  a pint while filling the lock however pulling up on the moorings mean I can have quite a few.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Miserable place, very unwelcoming.

I know you found that as they wouldn't serve you when you turned up as they were closing but we have always enjoyed our visit there. Nice and handy for a pint as you work the lock 🙂 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, haggis said:

I know you found that as they wouldn't serve you when you turned up as they were closing but we have always enjoyed our visit there. Nice and handy for a pint as you work the lock 🙂 

We spent two very convivial evenings there... 🙂