Macclesfield canal elsan points

Chris T

Featured Posts

With the Wood End lift bridge broken so no access to Whaley Bridge/ Bugsworth, is it the case that there are now no CRT elsan emptying facilities once you've left Bosley Locks?

Someone asked me this question as we came up the locks and while I could tell them of 3 water points (Macclesfield, Bridge 15 and Marple), and rubbish disposal at Bridge 15 (or Marple, down the locks) I could only suggest that they ask at Bollington Wharf, Macclesfield or Lyme View marinas. I assume there must also be facilities at Victoria Pit and Marple marinas but I've never seen them. 

Or had I forgotten about any? 

• 3 weeks later...

We reckon we can make it back to our marina (adopting Greek practice for toilet paper disposal as a precaution)  but how many cassettes will be being emptied in the bushes etc. with no CRT facilities since leaving Harecastle / Red Bull? It was bad enough before this. 

We are on our home stretch and should be able to make it back to our marina, but I suspect others would have been relying on Bosley, or won't want to pay to empty their cassettes. We've seen evidence of this in the bushes already on this trip 🤢

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

We reckon we can make it back to our marina (adopting Greek practice for toilet paper disposal as a precaution)  but how many cassettes will be being emptied in the bushes etc. with no CRT facilities since leaving Harecastle / Red Bull? It was bad enough before this. 

Heritage marina has an elsan. Most marinas have and charge a quid or two.

• Greenie 1

On my first canal holiday in 1976, our boat's equipment included a spade for burying the contents of the elsans if we were unable to access disposal facilities.  We did have to use it mid-week when trapped in a pound with no facilities and with both loos full : 1976 was a year of drought and many locks had their opening hours severely restricted to save water.

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There are a certainly a number of toilet cassettes dumped round the system, mostly in the hedge. It does make you wonder...

But if they dump the full cassette do they then buy a new one each week. But like buying a new car when the ashtray is full on the old one. (do they still fit ashtrays to cars)

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But if they dump the full cassette do they then buy a new one each week. But like buying a new car when the ashtray is full on the old one. (do they still fit ashtrays to cars)

Yes they do , they have another use- the removable tray stores loose change. Next to this is the cigarette lighter hole. The cigarette lighter is an optional extra for safety reasons. This can have a phone charger adapter or other 12v things inserted. The hole aperture is just the right size for 1p pieces which then titillate the fuse from said charger adversely 😕

48 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes they do , they have another use- the removable tray stores loose change. Next to this is the cigarette lighter hole. The cigarette lighter is an optional extra for safety reasons. This can have a phone charger adapter or other 12v things inserted. The hole aperture is just the right size for 1p pieces which then titillate the fuse from said charger adversely 😕

I knew the sockets were still there, never tried fitting a penny in one

7 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Pennies aren't loose change, they are shrapnel. I can't remember the last time I handed one over a counter in payment for something.

My "cigarette lighter" hole has a USB charger plug permanently inserted.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Pennies aren't loose change, they are shrapnel. I can't remember the last time I handed one over a counter in payment for something.

Just go to the supermarket self checkout with them and slowly push them in, its great what shapnel will buy, my son managed to accumulate £12 in loose change, bought a decent few groceries with that. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

If pennies are of no value to you, send then to me and I will happily spend them!