Internet Phone/Data providers and VPN

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi 

I have set up for Wifi on my boat which works well, the idea behind this is that occasionally I can work from home on the boat. For this I will need approx. 20GB of data a month. So I ideally want some sort of data package for £10-£15 a month and not go down the route of a contract for £30+ a month. However my company uses a VPN to access the company server and apparently a VPN is not supported by ID mobile, Smarty, 3 (although buying a data sim off 3 did work, a sim and a data pack don't). 

Has anyone else had this problem? And can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

I have run a VPN over both smarty and 3 

There just switched on the VPN and all appears ok 🤔

Having said that there is somewhere on my system a piece of software that won't run with the VPN enabled but I can't remember what it is😱

The better half works for one of the biggest global accountancy firms, her laptop using all manner of work-provided VPN and software will work fine with 3, but oddly will not have it if she tries to use her work-provided O2-simmed phone as a hotspot 🤷‍♂️

As Rob said, it's probably a port forwarding issue with 3's security, your work IT dept is who to talk this over with i'd imagine.

1 hour ago, SandyD said:

Hi 

I have set up for Wifi on my boat which works well, the idea behind this is that occasionally I can work from home on the boat. For this I will need approx. 20GB of data a month. So I ideally want some sort of data package for £10-£15 a month and not go down the route of a contract for £30+ a month. However my company uses a VPN to access the company server and apparently a VPN is not supported by ID mobile, Smarty, 3 (although buying a data sim off 3 did work, a sim and a data pack don't). 

Has anyone else had this problem? And can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

I am currently working over my company VPN using Smarty and I've been using this for a couple of years now.  I renew Smarty for a month when we are on the boat and plan ahead so if I go to the office it will be when the month of Smarty is going to run out and then I just don't renew for a few weeks.  All works well for me.

I have just started  using VPN because it was offered at no extra charge for my Google 1 (100GB) substription.  It seems to work fine with Three tethered from my Fairphone mobile (SIM only contract 30GB/month £8)

N

Giffgaff do 20Gb for £10 per month, monthly rolling contract. They resell O2. I seem to remember in settings, you can configure how you connect to the internet, but best to check with them first.

Edited by Peanut
typo

It would all depend what type of VPN is being used, different types use different ports, some of which can't be blocked.  Ok to be accurate you could block them but websites then wouldn't load... I often use SSL VPN as it gets round VPN blocks...