Best route from Gloucester to Lechlade/Devizes

Featured Posts

Hi there, we’re about to buy a wide beam boat in Gloucester and are planning to live aboard her as a constant cruise around the Swindon area where I’ll be working. 

I’m going to be quite limited with the time I can help my partner drive the boat ‘home’ so to speak and I’m struggling to find a route….one website says 12 days?! 

Is this our only option or is there a shorter route?

Many thanks 

I'm not sure where you think you will be to be "around the Swindon area" - there is no canal in Swindon. 

If you are aiming for the Kennet and Avon, or the Thames - which the title suggests you are -  then the only route in a wide beam is the Bristol Channel from Sharpness to Portishead and then up from Avonmouth to Bristol - doable but not a journey to be taken lightly, you would need to allow for delays in waiting for the weather, and be sure the boat was up to it. You would also need to engage a pilot. 

No, I understand that was quite a vague statement! Yes, we’d be cruising the Thames and more likely K&A with me commuting to Swindon. 

This is the route Canal Plan gave, which seems crazy! But would you say it would be better for fairly newbie owners? 

5B03AFD8-4F3F-4A55-921A-8CB7767659EE.jpeg

Sharpness to Bristol, via the tidal Severn and Avon is reckoned to be pretty hard core for inland boats. Do some research and be honest about your and the boats capabilities. Something to get you started:

The Severn Estuary has the second biggest tidal rise and fall on the planet and some fierce currents. If you are not pretty sure you can do this safely, then best bet is to get the boat lifted out and put on a lorry to miss out the scary bit of the journey.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, 999 Neets said:

No, I understand that was quite a vague statement! Yes, we’d be cruising the Thames and more likely K&A with me commuting to Swindon. 

This is the route Canal Plan gave, which seems crazy! But would you say it would be better for fairly newbie owners? 

Screenshot_20230729-205547_SamsungInternet.jpg.4561796d4b18af8a628cc7bac7ba3fbc.jpg

The tidal trip from Sharpness to Bristol is not one for the fainthearted. The only alternative is to go on the back of a lorry.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 999 Neets said:

I've got a slightly older map which allows you to nip down the Gloucester-sharpness, turn left at Saul Junction, up through Stroud and on towards Swindon.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Are you seriously buying a widebeam to cc with, with so little boat knowledge? :o

Who’s to say we don’t have boat knowledge? 

I’m asking for advice, the same as anyone would when they’re doing something they’ve not done before; buying a house, owning a dog, installing a bathroom. 

We’ve done a lot of research and looked at a lot of boats, I was just struggling trying to find a route from where this boat was moored. 

I think moving 1-2 miles every 2 weeks is vastly different from navigating the Severn Estuary, no? 

I’d be concerned if somebody didn’t ask questions. 

2 hours ago, 999 Neets said:

So would a pilot actually drive your boat or would you follow them? 

Pilots are on board the boat to advise but it is the master (skipper) who is in charge and responsible for the safety of boat and crew. As far as continuous cruising is concerned have you read the guidance on continuous cruising on the CRT web site? If not I would recommend that doing so at an early stage in your planning.

Howard

10 minutes ago, howardang said:

Pilots are on board the boat to advise but it is the master (skipper) who is in charge and responsible for the safety of boat and crew. As far as continuous cruising is concerned have you read the guidance on continuous cruising on the CRT web site? If not I would recommend that doing so at an early stage in your planning.

Howard

Thank you, that makes more sense. 

Yep, we’ve read and read and read! Like I said, we were ready to buy this boat but became a little concerned about lack of direct routes. 

8 hours ago, 999 Neets said:

The only thing you say is that you have done a lot of reading. I think the question was do you have practical experience too?

8 hours ago, 999 Neets said:

Yep, we’ve read and read and read! Like I said, we were ready to buy this boat but became a little concerned about lack of direct routes.

Edited by Tam & Di

9 hours ago, 999 Neets said:

Well, putting up a route to move your wide boat from Gloucester to the Thames that involves travelling along two narrow canals would suggest your knowledge is limited.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

The OP hasn't been back since midnight Saturday. I've a feeling he thinks we aren't regarding him seriously. Their reading hadn't told them about narrow canals, nor that they would not be able to move 1-2 miles every two weeks on the upper Thames, but they may well get away with that interpretation of Continuous Cruising on the K&A - George Ward seems to have.

Edited by Tam & Di

On 30/07/2023 at 08:05, David Mack said:

Well, putting up a route to move your wide boat from Gloucester to the Thames that involves travelling along two narrow canals would suggest your knowledge is limited.

But you could argue that someone has owned a boat for 30 years on a permanent mooring has boat experience but little experience moving one. 

Yes, we’ll be new to owning a boat , but if I don’t come to forums like this to learn, where else can I go? 

I have a couple of friends/colleagues who own wide beams, one cruises, one is moored. 

while I recognise their experience I know they’re not going to be experts in everything, hence coming here. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

On 29/07/2023 at 21:34, mrsmelly said:

Are you seriously buying a widebeam to cc with, with so little boat knowledge? :o

What else would you suggest? Did everyone on here have stacks of experience before buying their first boat? 

15 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

The OP hasn't been back since midnight Saturday. I've a feeling he thinks we aren't regarding him seriously. Their reading hadn't told them about narrow canals, nor that they would not be able to move 1-2 miles every two weeks on the upper Thames, but they may well get away with that interpretation of Continuous Cruising on the K&A - George Ward seems to have.

I’ve not been on because I work for an emergency service and have been doing 14 hour shifts. 

My ‘reading’ hadn’t told me about the narrow canals - no, but I am aware about cc regulations, distances and timings. 

And it’s she.

I get the impression that this is one of these forums that is dominated by a hardcore base of contributors who sneer at new boat owners and would rather ridicule than support. 

Thanks for being so welcoming 👍🏼

The forum can be a bit abrupt. A lot of people come here, new to boating with similar and often unrealistic boating plans, so a certain amount of cynicism can set in and the let down can be a little less gentle than the recipient might want. If you can cope with this, then it is an excellent resource, with some people who have decades of experience.

So far you've learnt about the existence narrow canals, the risks of hard core tidal trips with inland boats and that lorries are a good idea for avoiding them. Also more on continuous cruising on various navigation authority waters. Stick with it. It can be tremendously useful and help avoid some very expensive mistakes.

• Greenie 3

In that case I apologise. People do appear on here and take exception to the replies, and are then never heard of again. I did feel that you were a she but with modern mores it does get problematic and writing (s)he too cumbersome.

Edited by Tam & Di