Leigh branch/Wigan

gabble

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We’ll soon be heading along the Leigh Branch and up the Wigan locks onto the Leeds Liverpool.

Interested to get mooring recommendations, particularly from anyone who has stayed at or around Dover Lock recently. I was thinking of stopping there and getting an early start through Poolstock and up to the Wigan locks, but wondered if it had deteriorated since the pub closed. Anywhere else nearby? Pehaps by Scotsman flash?

Alternatively, at the wigan junction the consensus seems to be to go down at least one lock to moor. The pictures on google maps look a bit grim - recent first hand accounts?

gabble

Earlier this year we moored overnight just south of Bamfurlong Bridge (No3) both going towards and returning from Liverpool without any problems. Last couple of years we have seen boats moored by Scotmans flash but have not done so ourselves.

2 hours ago, gabble said:

Hi all,

We’ll soon be heading along the Leigh Branch and up the Wigan locks onto the Leeds Liverpool.

Interested to get mooring recommendations, particularly from anyone who has stayed at or around Dover Lock recently. I was thinking of stopping there and getting an early start through Poolstock and up to the Wigan locks, but wondered if it had deteriorated since the pub closed. Anywhere else nearby? Pehaps by Scotsman flash?

Alternatively, at the wigan junction the consensus seems to be to go down at least one lock to moor. The pictures on google maps look a bit grim - recent first hand accounts?

gabble

There are plenty of OK places to stop along there. We used to prefer Scotmans but last year we tried Pennington, around Common Lane Bridge 9. An evening stroll down to the Flash is worth a try.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I thought the bottom of the Wigan Locks was an ok/safe place to moor for the night?

Have things changed ?

More likely to catch another boat to share too 🤷‍♀️

I have moored there 3 times with no problem, usually other boaters there

I cycle up the Wigan Flight every day and boats usually moor either in the dry dock pound or in the Junction pound at the bottom of the flight (on rings opposite the Nice Pak buildings).

As ditchcrawler says you are more like to find another boat to share the locks with.

Also, if you put your boat details and your intentions on the Wiganflightcrew Facebook page you may find that volunteers may be around to help. (Not guaranteed)

I do not advise leaving a solo boat unattended anywhere in that area but you should be ok if you are on board.

Don't set off up the flight too late especially in good weather as some of the locks are used as swimming pools during the school holidays which have just started.

dover lock isn't nice now (if it ever was 🙂 ), but  handy as a stopping point before going further.  don't think i'd like to leave my boat there unattended. 

mooring overnight in the junction pound is ok in my experience. and if going up the flight a chance to pair up.

If your heading west then going one lock down towards the dry dock is worthwhile as the moorings are safer and civilisation* is within walking distance 

* its wigan so using the term Civilisation somewhat loosely  🙂 but shops, food etc and indeed the CRT office.

25 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

dover lock isn't nice now (if it ever was 🙂 ), but  handy as a stopping point before going further.  don't think i'd like to leave my boat there unattended. 

mooring overnight in the junction pound is ok in my experience. and if going up the flight a chance to pair up.

If your heading west then going one lock down towards the dry dock is worthwhile as the moorings are safer and civilisation* is within walking distance 

* its wigan so using the term Civilisation somewhat loosely  🙂 but shops, food etc and indeed the CRT office.

There are pies in Wigan. And a nice drinking hole under the arches.

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

C&RT office has long gone.

The one at trencherfield Mill? Knew they sold off the buildings next to canal but assumed they still had the office in the posh mill building.

Eta the old office  at the junction went years ago and they moved to trencherfield Mill and are still there AFAIK. 

44 minutes ago, Pagefield said:

C&RT office has long gone.

No it hasn't 

Edited by jonathanA
Sp

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

The one at trencherfield Mill? Knew they sold off the buildings next to canal but assumed they still had the office in the posh mill building.

Eta the old office  at the junction went years ago and they moved to trencherfield Mill and are still there AFAIK. 

No it hasn't 

I don't think the Trencherfield office reopened to the public at all post lockdown, staff mainly working from home.  It was completely vacated by C&RT not that long after.  Nearest places are now a 'Hub' at Rose Grove and Ellesmere Port.  Was told only last week by a Concierge chap that many boaters call in to buy pumpout cards and are disappointed to find that CRT have gone.

so you dont actually know that its closed  ?  if they have they seem to have done it very quietly ! (no surprise there !)

it doesn't appear on the map of locations to buy pumpout cards here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/go-boating/boat-facilities-and-services/where-to-buy-keys-cards-and-more

but there is still a downloadable map giving its location (dated 2017) ....   on the CRT website

I haven't visited it since covid, but it did seem a strange affair when you did go there....

Edited by jonathanA
clarity