Yarwood's Fuel Cap

fittie

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

image.png.6646e7675cce2ff50b380c4e3e99f6c5.png

And some follow up questions/points:

1. The arrangement on the port and starboard tanks is not symmetrical as on the Woolwichs. For the fillers (but not the vent pipes) the two triangular tank tops seem to be the same but rotated. And it's odd to have one vent pipe at the back and one at the front.

2. How does the padlock arrangement work? Should there be a staple welded on the side of the filler cap?

3. Is that the original Northwich vent pipe arrangement? On other boats I'm sure I've seen a similar arrangement but with the two pipe elbows being almost square right angles rather than the curved version shown.

2. Presumably there would have been a bar of some sort which sat in the recess across the top of the lid and connected with the locking hasp. 

The kind of thing I probably pulled out with the magnet yars ago unaware of what it was. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

2. Presumably there would have been a bar of some sort which sat in the recess across the top of the lid and connected with the locking hasp. 

That's the arrangement the Woolwichs had, but the locking bar seems so flimsy that it could be bent up and the lid still unscrewed.20230718_140023.thumb.jpg.cc4c0ad7856272f5e95ba1f99a885ba6.jpg

Was it to prevent fuel theft or just to make sure the lid was fitted properly and did not get mislaid. 

If the boat was being used on tidal Thames as the Grand Unions were there might be a bit of movement so it would be worth having a way to ensure the lid was on tight and could not come loose easily. 

It could just be an alignment thing rather than a security device as such. 

So presumably the idea was to bunker the boat at the depot then lock the tank and keep the key in the office. 

Padlocks were one of the most common finds with the magnet and of course while they don't provide a high degree of physical security it is a good way to prove if something has been tampered with. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

So presumably the idea was to bunker the boat at the depot then lock the tank and keep the key in the office. 

Yes I believe it was to stop the boatman accessing the fuel. Or presumably anybody else who might fancy helping themself from an open engine room.

4 hours ago, fittie said:

The Yarwood fuel cap had a lug on the side that the hasp fits over and can be locked.

Correct.  The lug is missing from both FLAMINGO's caps, but it has been smashed off from each, leaving a random edge on the cast iron that shows where they used to be.

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

3. Is that the original Northwich vent pipe arrangement? On other boats I'm sure I've seen a similar arrangement but with the two pipe elbows being almost square right angles rather than the curved version shown.

The vent pipes in the FLAMINGO pictures are certainly not genuine Yarwoods.  I mad them up using parts from BES!

Pictures of HALSALL sent to me by a previous owner.

Unfortunately non show filler cap in place, but this does show clearly the hasps that would have been able to secure them and prohibit removal.

It also clearly shows the lack of symmetry between the two tank tops...

image.png.eef90323d0323d7983686233f46af91d.png

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 2

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Correct.  The lug is missing from both FLAMINGO's caps, but it has been smashed off from each, leaving a random edge on the cast iron that shows where they used to be.

The vent pipes in the FLAMINGO pictures are certainly not genuine Yarwoods.  I mad them up using parts from BES!

Pictures of HALSALL sent to me by a previous owner.

Unfortunately non show filler cap in place, but this does show clearly the hasps that would have been able to secure them and prohibit removal.

It also clearly shows the lack of symmetry between the two tank tops...

image.png.eef90323d0323d7983686233f46af91d.png

I'm not surprised you made them up, those return bends seen on the originals must be the most expensive iron fitting available!

30 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'm not surprised you made them up, those return bends seen on the originals must be the most expensive iron fitting available!

New Woolwich type vent pipes with return bends made by cutting and welding two elbows. (Proper filler cap yet to be fitted).

20230725_092615.thumb.jpg.63a9695d658bc19ebb77a30f2913101f.jpg

Not quite as neat as a Woolwich original.20230725_094255.jpg.c32005aa9950139cd7e906e3a0e6c1ae.jpg

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

New Woolwich type vent pipes with return bends made by cutting and welding two elbows. (Proper filler cap yet to be fitted).

Not quite as neat as a Woolwich original.20230725_094255.jpg.c32005aa9950139cd7e906e3a0e6c1ae.jpg

Looks good, I was missing one but took the hit and bought one..about £90 from memory!

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes - that's a goo solution for a Woolwich.

But, as already alluded to, Northwich ones are a very different beast.

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I couldn't find one for sale in 1" bsp - only 3/4" and 2". And very expensive as you say 

https://stores.twiggs.co.uk/products/mall-return-bend-blk-1-bsp

https://www.valvestubesfittings.com/black-malleable-iron-180-degree-return-bend-jinan-2132025

There's plenty available, I wish I'd found the first link when I needed one!

There is quite a long old thread here.

It has discussion of tanks, fillers and vents, and also covers "small" and "middle" boats alongside "large" ("Town" class boats).

There is even stuff on Royalty boats.

It contains one of Steve Priest's fairly rare postings - Steve's encyclopedic knowledge of the finest details of "Grand Union" boats is second to none.

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

What is the purpose of the blocks on the retaining strap?

image.png.6646e7675cce2ff50b380c4e3e99f6c5.png.00e9105f03f5a7509c723df245703422.png

3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

step?

Exactly so. They make climbing in and out of the engine room a bit easier.

Not and original arrangement.  The boats had ladders, originally, though few seem to have survived.

• Greenie 1