Inverter electrics question.

Tigerr

Featured Posts

Hi, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. New (to us) boat, first long trip out.

Previous boat had 6 leisure batteries, inverter and travel pack and the electrics were bombproof. 

This boat has 4 leisure batts, (440A/hr), and mastervolt 100A 12v inverter. No travel gen, (previous boat gen unit unbalanced the load on the cam shaft stub of the aged beta 43, and stripped it, leading to a hugely expensive new engine being required) Should be adequate I'd thought.

But - finding the 240V system is unreliable once moored up - typically on day 2, and small kettle/remoska etc won't work - start and then stop, or don't start at all.

Appear to have green light for both DC and AC power. Inverter light on master volt is on. 

All work again after the engine has been running for a bit. 

Is that simply to be expected? Or is it likely I am missing a simple switch, which is very likely, or should I get my inverter looked at? 

I take it your inverter is a Mastervolt multi/combi 2000/100/12?

Sound like you’ve too much switched on for the batteries/inverter to run everything? Calorifier Immersion heater on? You may just be drawing too much and not recharging your batteries sufficiently.

You say day 2 of being moored up, I suspect your batteries not charging enough before your drawn on them, that why it’s happening on day 2. Whats you battery charging system when moored Solar/engine/generator? 
 Worst scenario your batteries are knackered, whats your voltage readings of them? Are you letting them drop to below 12V before recharging? (Not knowing your batteries)

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

I basically think your taking too much out of the batteries and not putting enough in, your not putting enough amps in before drawn on them. What 240v is running? Inverter, fridge, TV, appliances kettle, then your also drawn 12v stuff, lights, water pumps. Heating.
  If your running a lot, you will get low batteries after two days and also boiling an electric kettle and cooking on a remoska, may be drawing more than you think??

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

7 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Thanks for the comments. Looks like I need to run the engine for about 4 hrs per day to keep the system working. Fair enough. 

At least, and then 8 hours for 2 days at the weekend. These extra hours should help to get back to fully charged at least once per week.

Do you know how to determine when your batteries are fully (99.99%) charged ?

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At least, and then 8 hours for 2 days at the weekend. These extra hours should help to get back to fully charged at least once per week.

Do you know how to determine when your batteries are fully (99.99%) charged ?

Some would suggest looking at the Smartguage :) 

I decided that running the engine just to charge the batteries was expensive in fuel and very noisy in the boat (BMC 1.5) so I went down the path of a suitcase generator running on lpg.

I think that you need to reduce your electrical consumption.  A 2.4kW kettle will draw about 200A from the battery but it's not on for long.  What about the Remoska?  I son't know the power or duty cycle but it might be significant.

N

8 hours ago, Tigerr said:

typically on day 2, and small kettle/remoska etc won't work - 

Is that simply to be expected? 

Yes it is - as others have said due the way you're draining your batteries. You were asking about the inverter but an inverter doesn't somehow "create" power - it's all coming from the batteries. 

Is this a gas free boat? If not then why on earth would you use your batteries to boil water and cook when you have gas available?

Edited by blackrose