Liverpool boats

uncle nick

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

Compared to Springers they're of much more standard construction, with thicker steel and wear edges on the chines. Also much younger on average. A Liverpool boat that's been cared for might still have a fairly solid hull, which will be true for very few Springers that haven't had significant work done.

The thing that needs stressing about LBs is hulls are generally quite well made. It's all the fitting out problems that spoiled the boats for many new owners. Leaking windows being a particular problem as the water ingress spoils and stains the interior woodwork on the walls and floors, so fixing the leaks is only half the solution. 

On the Collingwood I worked on recently, the leaking calorifier was all boxed in and concealed and the owner only realised there was a problem when water staining started appearing in all the joints in the wood-strip galley floor. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

The thing that needs stressing about LBs is hulls are generally quite well made. It's all the fitting out problems that spoiled the boats for many new owners. Leaking windows being a particular problem as the water ingress spoils and stains the interior woodwork on the walls and floors, so fixing the leaks is only half the solution. 

On the Collingwood I worked on recently, the leaking calorifier was all boxed in and concealed and the owner only realised there was a problem when water staining started appearing in all the joints in the wood-strip galley floor. 

Has no one noticed that when you look at a Liverpool boat the rear end appears to slope down

11 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Sadly, no.  Watching Wimbledon: 'bonk bonk bonk OUT!!!'

When does the mind numbingly boring nonsense finish? Whenever I put the telly on its on all sides at the same time :angry:

17 hours ago, Mrs Bearwood Boster said:

If it's 2005-I make that 18 years later:D.

Ours is 2004 & we've had her from new.She has her little oddities but is a cracking boat for the money.

Yes of course  problem with replying on the phone keyboard is so small and I don't  always pick up the errtors 

22 hours ago, BEngo said:

The worst is the as-built  arrangement of the rudder and stock.  The top bearing can only be easily replaced out of the water and the blade to stock connection is poor, relying on pinch bolts and a through bolt.  Many Liverpools have had this sorted.  Others  need it doing.

Good point I forgot about that. Had mine done once but starting to flap a little again. Good thing is the bearing are readily available and cheap.

UCFL Flanged Metric Pillow Block Self Lube Bearing 2 Bolt Flange - HIGH QUALITY 35mm

£16.99

Ebay uk

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I recall watching, in the company of several other (then) forum members, a Liverpool Boat being lifted off a low-loader and placed in the water at Braunston. It sank slowly to the bottom.

Subsequent investigation revealed that one of the baseplate seams had not been welded!

If anyone is looking for a relatively inexpensive but reliable boat that has been well tried and tested, my advice would be to look for a previously owned ex-hire boat especially one from the long established outfits like Union Canal Carriers or Black Prince - there are many more.

Edited by NB Alnwick
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

I recall watching, in the company of several other (then) forum members, a Liverpool Boat being lifted off a low-loader and placed in the water at Braunston. It sank slowly to the bottom.

Subsequent investigation revealed that one of the baseplate seams had not been welded!

If anyone is looking for a relatively inexpensive but reliable boat that has been well tried and tested, my advice would be to look for a previously owned ex-hire boat especially one from the long established outfits like Union Canal Carriers or Black Prince - there are many more.

Isn't that why they should be surveyed befor launching?

26 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not uncommon event, seen one myself.

I've also heard about (but not myself actually seen) runs of weld that when poked, turn out to be runs of silicone.

Presumably added as a quick and dirty fix in the slings for this "sinking upon launch" problem, caused by the missing welds they seem to sometimes have. 

• Horror 1

17 hours ago, uncle nick said:

Thanks again for all the replies. 
I’m trying to sort the wheat from the chaff; is it fair to say that general wisdom is:

Liverpool Boats were built in large numbers, at a reasonable price, and enabled those who couldn’t afford ‘premium’ boats, to buy a basic no-frills boat as an entry-level narrowboat? They may be better standard than Springers, almost certainly better than Legend Boats (that I haven’t heard of) but build quality is now rather of a secondary consideration to how well (or not) they’ve been maintained over the subsequent years?

There also appears to be a huge amount of make, or marque, snobbery, perpetuated by those with enough money to look down upon anyone who can’t afford a premium narrowboat, or looking at it from another point of view, maybe just more money than sense. 

Thanks again to all the genuine narrowboaters for your replies and help. Hope to meet you sometime and I’ll buy you a pint! 

Yes pretty much - all of the problems listed by others here are non-existent on our Liverpool boat. There are plenty of them about and plenty of those seem to have happy satisfied owners. A Liverpool boat that has been maintained in good condition for 30 years will be better than a 10 year old boat from a Top Quality builder that has been mistreated and poorly maintained.

That's not to say that those problems don't exist at all - just an emphasis that a good survey and sensible head is important. Don't disregard any secondhand boat based on name alone. 

Also of some relevance - ours was fitted out by High Line Yachting, so that might be why the fitout on ours is better than others report.

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1