Diesel Resistant Adhesive

Featured Posts

The seals on my diesel tank inspection hatch have failed because the builders used natural rubber. I want to replace them with Nitrile but need a diesel resistant adhesive. I was hoping that something like 'Sticks like S***" or 'Dogs B******s' might be suitable. I've asked Evostik but no answer.

Edited by pearley

1 minute ago, pearley said:

The seals on my diesel tank inspection hatch have failed because the builders used natural rubber. I want to replace them with Nitrile but need a diesel resistant adhesive. I was hoping that something like 'Sticksblike S***" or 'Dogs B******s' might be suitable. I've asked Evostik but no answer.

Dunno about diesel, but I once sealed a leaking carburettor fitting (petrol) with Araldite Rapid. It lasted for the several years I had the engine.

Why would you want a diesel resistant adhesive? Assuming (never assume 😇) the hatch is mechanically secured all you want is something to hold the seal during installation. I'd use grease.

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

The hatch is hinged and secured on the opposite edge by 2 M10 screws. It have to open it regularly to dip the contents so need a seal that will stay put.

image.thumb.png.a8d097e0e2b4466bf37e9d9fac48fb78.pngimage.thumb.png.dc4a0a1f8b4815b38813a2d98ff5b077.png

Edited by ditchcrawler

Heldite is usually recomended on this forum for diesel related sealing.

I used some about a week ago to try to seal some BSP parallel threads. Its messy stuff and I still have a bit left on my fingernails. So  "sticks like S*** to fingernails".

It also did seal the BSP threads

• Greenie 2

On 08/07/2023 at 15:01, pearley said:

The seals on my diesel tank inspection hatch have failed because the builders used natural rubber. I want to replace them with Nitrile but need a diesel resistant adhesive.

On 08/07/2023 at 15:41, pearley said:

I have to open it regularly to dip the contents so need a seal that will stay put.

If this hatch is on the top of the tank and regularly opened for dipping, why does it need to be sealed?

On 08/07/2023 at 15:01, pearley said:

I was hoping that something like 'Sticks like S***" or 'Dogs B******s' might be suitable. I've asked Evostik but no answer.

I think they would work but you'd need to get the mating surfaces clean and diesel free first with white spirit on a cloth. 

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

If this hatch is on the top of the tank and regularly opened for dipping, why does it need to be sealed?

Because the tank sits in front of the engine below the floor. The first I filled the tank to the brim we ended up with diesel in the engine bay.

Why would I want to dip the tank whilst filling?

The tank sits under the floor. I only dip it periodically to gauge when I need to fill. As the generator connected to that tank has only done around 300 hours it's too early to gauge usage from hours run. I filled it to the brim to get a full to full reading but that won't work if it's leaking out through the inspection hatch. Hence wanting to fit a decent seal.

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

Why would I want to dip the tank whilst filling?

An arrangement where simply dipping the tank could in certain circumstances flood the bilges with diesel is mad. Why not fit a tube to the tank which extends to above the filler level, similar to the oil dipstick on many engines. Having a seal below the maximum fuel level which is regularly disturbed is a recipe for disaster.

• Greenie 2