Changeover valve safe?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

Please forgive any past/future posts that I may make that could include false information that it is subsequently discovered contain false information.

Thank You.

and I am absolutely sure I have and will post false information in good faith.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Please forgive any past/future posts that I may make that could include false information that it is subsequently discovered contain false information.

What about the ones where you know it's tripe before pressing submit but post it anyway?

;)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Don't you mean "I'm sorry for posting false information on the forum" - or are you too much of an arse not to admit to this and own up, for the greater good?

No - I meant thankyou for providing your version of the reason for the valve when compared to a similar 'LPG qualified, Gas registered' experts information.

As I stated, it was information given to me. I am not qualified to decide on its veracity.

You do really have a problem don't you !

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

He posted information he was given in good faith, someone corrected him and he said thank you, sounds hunky dory to me

This is how I read it too.

Most of us post like arses occasionally according to the perceptions of other readers. This doesn't mean we ARE arses. 

My own perception is Alan posts in good faith and most of the time he is right.

Also, he posted info given to him by his qualified gas engineer and he fell into the trap of thinking the gas bod therefore knows his subject technically. This is a good illustration of a schism between the intention of the law in making us take exams and the expectations of the general public. 

The gas regs are there to 1) save lives by giving us reams of rules to comply with, and 2) give the HSE ammunition to prosecute (anyone) breaching of those rules

The public seems to think being gas registered makes us technically competent in gas engineering. it doesn't. It mean we have passed exams showing we either know the rules or know where to find them to look them up. There is no engineering training which might generate some technical understanding of the subject, we just have to answer hundreds of multi-choice questions about the gas regs. 

Any fool can pass the exams once they can either remember or look stuff up quickly enough, and plenty do. 

I'm feeling particularly cynical today. 

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, Paul C said:

Of course, you may posture any posting style you like, I am not the arbiter of it. You yourself are responsible for your own words.

You're not the arbiter? Ok, it kind of came across like you were trying to be. There are nicer ways to tell someone that they might want to retract what they've said instead of calling them an arse. There's no need for it at all and paradoxically you're more likely to be the person who ends up looking like one. 

On 01/06/2023 at 16:28, Hudds Lad said:

The valve had two tails, but only one is connected to the in-use bottle, the other tucked up near the valve out of the way.

Is this safe?

I never answered this question. My apologies. 

No it is not considered safe. A pipe sealed only by a valve is classed as 'open ended' and therefore classified as "Immediately Dangerous". 

This is a bit of a farce in my personal opinion but I'm told I'm wrong by TPTB. 

On the other hand, an anecdote. I bought a 47kg refill for the range cooker in my hovel about three months ago. A 19kg usually lasts me about a year, so the 47 should have been good for about three. A couple of weeks ago I removed the other empty and may or may not have left the tail disconnected just as you have. To my amazement, today the 47kg bottle ran out. No obvious smell of gas around what may or may not have been an open ended pigtail.

I think I must have been making more tea than usual the last three months. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1