12v voltage regulator for downlighters

Featured Posts

Evening all.

Is there a simple device for "smoothing" 12v supply so that the domestic circuit is a flat and steady 12 volts - suitable for dimmable LED downlighters? 

I recently contacted a firm which supplies them for 240v installations, using a 12v driver, but they advised that any fluctuation in the voltage could be problematic and would damage them.    Just concerned that the varied voltage as a result of batteries/charging etc will need something to create a smooth and continuous 12v supply.

ANy advice appreciated

OKay great thanks - a stabilizer - that's the thing.  Okay, so if anyone has had a positive experience with any particular brand - i'd rather a good quality than cheapo one if there is any difference between them.   Thanks

There are dimmable 10V to 30V LED's available that wouldn't need a 12V to 12V stabiliser and would work reliably direct from the boats batteries.

Example https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/cab9x-chrome-3-step-dimmable/

The linked one has 3 steps of dimming, accessed by flicking the light switch off and on.

No idea how this compares with the ones the OP is planning to use, or how the cost compares, unprotected dimmable LEDs + stabiliser, versus protected dimmable LEDs, or how the dimming function is done on the ones he was planning to use.

Another option to consider.

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are dimmable 10V to 30V LED's available that wouldn't need a 12V to 12V stabiliser and would work reliably direct from the boats batteries.

Example https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/cab9x-chrome-3-step-dimmable/

The linked one has 3 steps of dimming, accessed by flicking the light switch off and on.

No idea how this compares with the ones the OP is planning to use, or how the cost compares, unprotected dimmable LEDs + stabiliser, versus protected dimmable LEDs, or how the dimming function is done on the ones he was planning to use.

I use 10 to 30 volt ones as well, but not dimable, I just switch 2, 4 or all 6 on

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The only thing to bear in mind with the 10 to 30v ones is that they have an inbuilt buck converter (aka switch mode power supply) that can generate radio interference. I noticed this recently in my caravan, I virtually never listen to the built in FM radio but when I did the other day, I also noticed that putting on just one LED light (of the 10-30v type) on the other side of the caravan created a lot of interference on the radio. I think some makes will be fine, some other makes not. So getting cheapo stuff from china will likely be high risk if listening to the radio is your thing.

46 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The only thing to bear in mind with the 10 to 30v ones is that they have an inbuilt buck converter (aka switch mode power supply) that can generate radio interference. I noticed this recently in my caravan, I virtually never listen to the built in FM radio but when I did the other day, I also noticed that putting on just one LED light (of the 10-30v type) on the other side of the caravan created a lot of interference on the radio. I think some makes will be fine, some other makes not. So getting cheapo stuff from china will likely be high risk if listening to the radio is your thing.

I found this too, then I bought some that supposedly didn't do it at about the same time as installing a DAB car radio in the boat. And guess what happened....

I sidestepped the whole problem by using internet radio on my fone instead and Bluetooth streaming the output to the the BT input on the radio. 

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I had a couple of cheap 30v lights and they put a lot of noise onto the supply wiring upsetting the radio at the far end, so increasing distance between light and radio didn’t help.