Four Day Trip out from Anderton...

nealeST

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I am taking a short break from the Anderton Marina with a hire boat for four days on June 19. My wife and two boys are the crew. It's a short amount of time but I fancy a taste of 4 canals. I have ‘Canal planned’ my route taking in the trip down the Trent and Mersey to the Middlewich Branch onto the Shropshire Union and then into the Llangollen. This means going through the Hurleston locks in the morning and out again the same day later in the afternoon after we have turned around in the winding hole at Wrenbury. The trip takes 8 hrs a day to make according to Canal Plan. 

To experienced hands does this all seem feasible? It's a wonderful thing having a website create you a route but I wanted to see what folk thought here before hand. I see from this wonderful forum there is the Middlewich Festival the weekend before so I imagine there could be a lot of boaters still out on the system around the area.

Hoping for glorious weather. One last thing: any recommendations about eating in the various pubs on the route would be very welcome. My wife is very keen on pub meals for this trip and here was me with my newly purchased MrD’s slow cooker…..

45 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Hello All,

I am taking a short break from the Anderton Marina with a hire boat for four days on June 19. My wife and two boys are the crew. It's a short amount of time but I fancy a taste of 4 canals. I have ‘Canal planned’ my route taking in the trip down the Trent and Mersey to the Middlewich Branch onto the Shropshire Union and then into the Llangollen. This means going through the Hurleston locks in the morning and out again the same day later in the afternoon after we have turned around in the winding hole at Wrenbury. The trip takes 8 hrs a day to make according to Canal Plan. 

To experienced hands does this all seem feasible? It's a wonderful thing having a website create you a route but I wanted to see what folk thought here before hand. I see from this wonderful forum there is the Middlewich Festival the weekend before so I imagine there could be a lot of boaters still out on the system around the area.

Hoping for glorious weather. One last thing: any recommendations about eating in the various pubs on the route would be very welcome. My wife is very keen on pub meals for this trip and here was me with my newly purchased MrD’s slow cooker…..

By "four days" I assume you mean maybe 3 hours on the first day after pickup, then 3 days cruising (about 7 hours each), then maybe 1 hour on the final day before dropoff?

There aren't that many good food pubs that fit with that schedule; if you get to Middlewich on the first night you could try the Big Lock but it's reported to have gone downhill recently. Day 2/3 the Barbridge Inn might be your only option. On the last night you could moor near the Salt Barge (BR 193).

Edited by IanD

A lot will depend on what time you can set off on the boat and also what time you have to return it.

As it does not go dark until about 10pm at that time of year you could do a longer day if needed as you may get in queues at the locks.

You should have enough time providing you do not stop at a pub twice a day.

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

By "four days" I assume you mean maybe 3 hours on the first day after pickup, then 3 days cruising (about 7 hours each), then maybe 1 hour on the final day before dropoff?

There aren't that many good food pubs that fit with that schedule; if you get to Middlewich on the first night you could try the Big Lock but it's reported to have gone downhill recently. Day 2/3 the Barbridge Inn might be your only option. On the last night you could moor near the Salt Barge (BR 193).

I'd stop at Hurleston Services VM (above the locks) on day 2 -- no pub but you can walk to Snugbury's and pick up some delicious ice-cream... 😉

54 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes exactly that! Great ice cream tip. That uses will be very popular. We definitely won't be stopping at pubs twice a day. I'm more interested in being on the move but being the only person on board with narrow boat experience my crew will soon realise exactly what all this is about....thanks for the pub info. We are scheduled to be near the Big Lock on our first evening although I can guess it's not what it used to be....

Idea not 'uses'. Helpful technology...

19 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Yes exactly that! Great ice cream tip. That uses will be very popular. We definitely won't be stopping at pubs twice a day. I'm more interested in being on the move but being the only person on board with narrow boat experience my crew will soon realise exactly what all this is about....thanks for the pub info. We are scheduled to be near the Big Lock on our first evening although I can guess it's not what it used to be....

I don't think you'll have any problems making those stops -- plenty of daylight, longest day is well under 8h according to canalplan, and not too many locks. Only one night cooking on the boat, but with icecream for afters (so long as you get there before they close at 6pm, which you should easily do).

Day 1 : Big Lock VM -- 9M/0L/3h17m

Day 2 : Hurleston Services VM -- 12M/12L/6h15m (Snugbury's!)

Day 3 : Barbridge VM -- 13M/14L/7h9m (turn at Wrenbury)

Day 4 : BR189 (Salt Barge) -- 17M/8L/7h34

Day 5 : 3M/0L/1hr

One chance of queues is Stanthorne lock on the Middlewich branch which has limit stops on the bottom gate paddles which make it very slow to empty. We have been in 7 boat queues several times that take 90 + minutes to get through. Oddly enough the longest queues that develop are going downhill, I have never been held up for long going uphill. Do more people do the four counties ring clockwise.

34 minutes ago, nealeST said:

The Big Lock at Middlewich has been OK the last couple of times we visited. It went through a not so good patch a few years ago but seemed to have recovered. One tip I would give is when you know where you wan to stop and eat, phone ahead and make sure they are still open and that they are doing food that evening and if you have to book.  Nothing worse than finding a closed door or the choice of flavours of crisps 🙂 

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

The Big Lock at Middlewich has been OK the last couple of times we visited. It went through a not so good patch a few years ago but seemed to have recovered. One tip I would give is when you know where you wan to stop and eat, phone ahead and make sure they are still open and that they are doing food that evening and if you have to book.  Nothing worse than finding a closed door or the choice of flavours of crisps 🙂 

Even recently the Big Lock seems patchy going by reviews varying from great to terrible.

Same advice applies to all canalside food pubs in summer, always ring ahead to book, preferably at least a day before -- what's even worse than finding them closed or crisp-only is to find them serving delicious food but fully booked. DAMHIK... 😞

Edited by IanD

Sounds like a great trip. 

When you turn onto the Middlewich Branch from the Trent & Mersey we tend to stop just before the junction and send the crew round to Maureens lock as it is just through the bridge.  They can then assess the state of play and prep the lock prior to you turning in.  A quick "thumbs up" if the lock is empty or a "wait" until a descending boat exits the lock and clears the junction makes life a bit easier.  This bit is also the shortest canal on the network.🙂

We may well pass as we will be coming through the Middlewich Branch on the 18th heading north up the Trent & Mersey.

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

.  Nothing worse than finding a closed door or the choice of flavours of crisps 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Ken X said:

Sounds like a great trip. 

They can then assess the state of play and prep the lock prior to you turning in.🙂

I've been looking forward to this all winter! I'll definitely book ahead regards meals...I think we'll only stop the once for that. Well if you see us we will be sure to wave, ABC 50ft semi träd...thanks for all the advice!

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

I middlewich you also have the choice of several carry out/ eat in Chinese and Indian restaurants 

And Mexican, and others -- there's a whole string of them which get good reviews along the main drag, about 500m from the Big Lock.

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, nealeST said:

That's first night sorted then...don't think my slow cooker will be seeing any action! It's an investment for the future...

You could also moor at Middlewich VM which are a bit closer to the junction and restaurants along Wheelock Street.

middlewich.jpg

25 minutes ago, nealeST said:

That's first night sorted then...don't think my slow cooker will be seeing any action! It's an investment for the future...

don’t give up on the idea,

theres some lovely scenic places to stop over on your route. 
With tables and benches in some areas. 
On a lovely warm evening it’d be ace to sit outside and eat. 

table cloth laid, wine/beer or whatever to drink and  a lovely something to eat that’s been cooking all day 🤤 

perfect!

Edited by Goliath

A few other thoughts.

What age are your boys? We first took our girls on a hire boat when they were 8 and 10 and they had a great time. At 10, our elder daughter could handle most paddles and gates on a narrow lock and our younger daughter could open some paddles and most gates. That made the lock timings fairly quick. If they are younger or tend to need careful watching then you may find you it is closer to single-handing, in which case the locks will be slower than the timings on CanalPlan.

You will find out how many hours a day you enjoy cruising. We tend to do about 10-12hrs a day because that suits us, meaning we go further than most route planners suggest. For reference, a couple of years ago, on the last hire trip before we bought Oates, we had one day where we came down the Audlem flight, on to Middlewich, along the Middlewich branch, turned right and up to Elton Moss Wharf, 24miles/25locks covering about half of your planned route in a day. If you find you like fewer hours per day then you won't go as far as your planned route. It's worth having half an eye on this to find what is enjoyable, rather than pushing for a schedule. For that, you need options and it's useful to have half an eye on this in advance so you know where you might stop early/carry on to.

The Old Barbridge Inn has been decent for food when we have stopped there (several times in the past couple of years). It has some moorings on the pub side, or the visitor moorings on the opposite side. Worth noting that there are not moorings on the Middlewich branch which are convenient for the pub, so don't overrun the visitor moorings if you are planning on stopping.

If you find yourself running ahead of schedule, you could either go further up the Llangollen, or come back out and head up the Shropshire Union. That may depend a bit on whether you want more locks or not. It's quite an interesting stretch up to Nantwich with the junction and the aqueduct, and if you find yourself with time in hand, Audlem makes a nice destination with the Canal Bookshop and the Shroppie Fly which is doing excellent food. You can wind at the bottom without having to go up the flight and it's a short walk up to the pub and bookshop.

Should be a good trip.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Thanks everyone! I have been unable to log in for a few days…I had ‘temporarily down’ as a reason…but mysteriously that went away when I Google searched the forum web address and went that way instead…anyway back to the discussion. My two youngest boys are 13 and 8. I have two grown up kids not joining this time but enthusiastic about future trips! As a teenager I did the Avon Ring in 7 days. We went dawn to dusk. I loved it. My father still maintains it was the best family holiday we ever had. My first intention was to reach Nantwich and back but that seems a little too sedate. My crew are completely new to all this so I will be having to gauge responses carefully as we proceed. I’m convinced they’ll love it. Like I say, best family holiday ever?

3 hours ago, nealeST said:

Thanks everyone! I have been unable to log in for a few days…I had ‘temporarily down’ as a reason…but mysteriously that went away when I Google searched the forum web address and went that way instead…anyway back to the discussion. My two youngest boys are 13 and 8. I have two grown up kids not joining this time but enthusiastic about future trips! As a teenager I did the Avon Ring in 7 days. We went dawn to dusk. I loved it. My father still maintains it was the best family holiday we ever had. My first intention was to reach Nantwich and back but that seems a little too sedate. My crew are completely new to all this so I will be having to gauge responses carefully as we proceed. I’m convinced they’ll love it. Like I say, best family holiday ever?

My wife and I used to do a fair amount of boating but our first trip with the children was from Penkridge on the S&W, down to Stourport, down the Severn, across the Droitwich (first time that way since it reopened), up Tardebigge, in to Birmingham, across the main line, down Wolverhampton and back to Penkridge, in a week, including visits to the Black Country Museum and Cadbury World (not worth it anymore), so it was a bit of a baptism of fire, but they thoroughly enjoyed it. After COVID we did another week, round the Four Counties ring plus the Caldon. They enjoyed it again, so we bought Oates. It is debatable how much they enjoyed painting the roof this weekend, but I have been informed that so long as we install phone chargers it will be acceptable.

Your boys should be a good age to enjoy it all. About the only things you don't get are an aqueduct and a tunnel, although if you push on from dawn until dusk I reckon you could make Chirk easily!

Alec

• 1 month later...

Follow up on our trip. Thanks to everybody who sent advice and to anyone reading this post. A quick summary of our trip. We stopped at the Big lock Middlewich as planned and strolled into town to the White Bear. A nice looking establishment and friendly but we found the food lacking in flavour. The Italian is closed Mondays. The pub at Barbridge very good and the Old Broken cross on our return was the best. The Balti spectacular. Very lucky with the weather. Heavy rain half of our first day proper leaving me to single hand the locks and making slow progress. We had the locks to ourselves few others fancied the rain. Things changed by the time we reached Hurleston Locks. Beautiful evening but the day had been long and we decided to cruise past and head toward Nantwich instead, we were now behind schedule.  A trip to Wrenbury and back to Anderton is very achievable should anyone consider it though. It was with a tinge of regret that we simplified our plan especially as the two days that followed were gloriously sunny and hot with lots of boaters and CRT helping out. Very enjoyable short trip. Kids loved it.

• Greenie 4