What Three Words - For the dinosaurs here :)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

How big is the pin?

Its pinfinitsesmall.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

How big is the pin?

boson not Bosun.

Nope. I was right first time.

Bosun:

a petty officer on a merchant ship having charge of hull maintenance and related work

Edited by rusty69

13 hours ago, MtB said:

This thing about imperial units is they are so much more 'human'. 

It is far easier to envisage 70ft than 21.33m. Or 18" than 457mm. <<

It's also easier to visualise 20 metres than 65 ft 7 and a bit inches. 

Or 500mm rather than 1ft' 7.68 in.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's also easier to visualise 20 metres than 65 ft 7 and a bit inches. 

Or 500mm rather than 1ft' 7.68 in.

I find 1ft 7 5/8in much easier to envisage than 500 of anything. 

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But if they are so light as to weigh '0 grams', do they exist, do they multiply, and how many can you get on the head of a pin ?

An atom of iron weighs "0 grams" -- also 0.000g, or 0.000000000g -- and you can get an awful lot of them on the head of a pin... 😉

(actually 0.000000000000000000000093g...)

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

An atom of iron weighs "0 grams" -- also 0.000g, or 0.000000000g -- and you can get an awful lot of them on the head of a pin... 😉

(actually 0.000000000000000000000093g...)

I hope you used properly calibrated scales when you weighed it.

On 26/04/2023 at 11:35, IanD said:

Objecting to w3w because they might at some point in the future try and charge for some aspect of the service makes no more sense than objecting to Google or Facebook or Gmail or WhatsApp or Signal any other "free" internet service or smartphone app -- if you worked on that basis you wouldn't find the internet very useful at all... 😉

It's a bit more than "might", I'm afraid. w3w's accounts for 2021 show a loss of £43m. Turnover fell from 2020 to 2021.

The accounts state: "The success of the business is dependent on the development, conversion and retention of a pipeline of commercial contracts to take the business cash flow positive and profitable." [my emphasis]

So yes. Charging is exactly what they plan to do. Google/Gmail and Facebook/WhatsApp have profitable business models. So far, w3w doesn't.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

5 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

It's a bit more than "might", I'm afraid. w3w's accounts for 2021 show a loss of £43m. Turnover fell from 2020 to 2021.

Exactly what I pointed out many pages ago, &, when I suggested that there was a good chance that once everyone had 'converted' to W3W charges would start to creep in, it was suggested I'm just anti W3W

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly what I pointed out many pages ago, &, when I suggested that there was a good chance that once everyone had 'converted' to W3W charges would start to creep in, it was suggested I'm just anti W3W

I'm anti WW3.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm anti WW3.

No, it is exactly what we need - a good clear out, and we could easily reduce the population by 2 or 3 billion which would mean that consumption demand would fall and emissions would fall and we could all keep cows farting and boats running on diesel.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm anti W3W for the reasons stated above.

And there is a subtlety between W3W and other "Big Brand" names such as Google. With W3W the product is the co-ordinate system, not just the software. If Google put their price up too much, the input data is (relatively) open source. You can type a post code, map reference or lat / long into Bing, Duck Duck Go or almost any other search engine and still work out where to go. If W3W say "nope, it's £100 to tell you where what.three.words is" you have no choice. Well, you do. Take it or leave it.

• Greenie 2

It seems to be too easy to fiddle as well. What is to stop someone hacking the system and randomly changing words around? 

Lat and Long seem to work OK for location and as they are not intellectual property it seems awkward to hack or deliberately alter anything. 

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are aren't you?

Of course they will have to charge some/all users if they are to remain in business and continue to help people..... that bit isn't rocket science.

You seem to be of the school where there is such a thing as a free lunch? :( 

29 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

And there is a subtlety between W3W and other "Big Brand" names such as Google. With W3W the product is the co-ordinate system, not just the software. If Google put their price up too much, the input data is (relatively) open source.

You can type a post code, map reference or lat / long into Bing, Duck Duck Go or almost any other search engine and still work out where to go. If W3W say "nope, it's £100 to tell you where what.three.words is" you have no choice. Well, you do. Take it or leave it.

Google dont charge users for information, whether it be directions or anything else - because the users are the product that advertisers pay for - so there is no price to "put up too much"

What about if W3W say "nope, it's 3 quid for all of the "what.three.words" that you can eat? How about if they charge £3 for the app like lots of apps do?

A billion people downloading the app, produces £3 billion. In addition a billion users would generate some interest from advertisers, and they might even get bought out by one of the big boys for 10 billion quid or so.

Rich boys games maybe. 

If one has shed loads of family money anyway the viability of a business becomes noticeably less important. 

One would not consider staking the home counties estate on it. 

Edited by magnetman

57 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

And there is a subtlety between W3W and other "Big Brand" names such as Google. With W3W the product is the co-ordinate system, not just the software. If Google put their price up too much, the input data is (relatively) open source. You can type a post code, map reference or lat / long into Bing, Duck Duck Go or almost any other search engine and still work out where to go. If W3W say "nope, it's £100 to tell you where what.three.words is" you have no choice. Well, you do. Take it or leave it.

And yet around here post codes can cover many square miles, so worthless.
I know, I regularly have to find remote addresses and have to phone them to find out exactly where they are.

• Greenie 1