Inlander 12v fridge freezer

Chambo

Featured Posts

Hi, I've had the aforementioned fridge freezer for a few years now (9), on our current trip out I have noticed that the compressor is cutting in and running for a long time before cutting out, I would expect this if it had only just been switched on but not after three days traveling. The freezer compartment is full and the food is all frozen, the fridge is full and food is all cool.

I wondered if anyone had anything similar happen to them.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, Chambo said:

Hi Tony, any idea on how to check?

Regrettably, I am not a refrigeration engineer. I suspect rule out everything else as listed by others and then contact a refrigeration engineer. I THINK they can put a pressure gauge on it or drain it and refill it, IF the refrigerant is still available. However, the gas, if needed, has escaped in some way, so just re-gassing is likely to be a short term solution.

Defrost the freezer compartment.

Cheap to do, sometimes solves the problem.

Thermostat gets to warm, ice stops the cold reaching the thermostat, compressor keeps running.

Bod

I've just pulled the unit out to have a look at the fins and the back is all boxed in  so you can't actually see the condenser fins, it is obviously how it is designed because it's not something I've done!

My thought also, but the OP implied it had worked properly for nine years, I doubt it would if t was tightly boxed in without much air flow. I suppose the OP might now be running the heating very high, but if not I don't think it is particularly hot this early in the year.

5 hours ago, Chambo said:

Hi, I've had the aforementioned fridge freezer for a few years now (9), on our current trip out I have noticed that the compressor is cutting in and running for a long time before cutting out, I would expect this if it had only just been switched on but not after three days traveling. The freezer compartment is full and the food is all frozen, the fridge is full and food is all cool.

I wondered if anyone had anything similar happen to them.

Thanks

I had similar with the fridge that was on the boat when I bought it. Checked a few things then called out a fridge engineer. I think it cost about £85 for the call out and inspection/testing.

He diagnosed a failed compressor and couldn't find a replacement,soi had to buy new.

I'd guess after 9 years, it may have had a good innings, and the time has come to buy a new one that won't last anywhere near as long :(

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So the condenser is inside the metal cabinet, sides and/or top. Is there plenty of space around the cabinet as you mention "pulled it out" or is it closely fitted into a wooden cabinet?

There is a good two inches clearance all round, so plenty of room for air flow.

My thoughts now are do I buy a new 12 volt fridge freezer or go for a domestic 240v one, boat is fitted with a 2 kw inverter and a 440 amp hr battery bank. Only thinking this because of the big difference in costs between 12v and 240v fridge/freezers.

If you already have the inverter, then might as well go for the 240V fridge. Much cheaper and much more choice of models.

But before abandoning the existing unit I would agree with the earlier suggestion of completely emptying and defrosting it. Then try it again.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, Chambo said:

I get the logic behind defrosting and starting again but the unit has been fully defrosted just one week ago.

That was probably when it started loosing gas.  Check that the thermostat phial has not been moved. 

Our shoreline fridge is about 11 years old. A few years ago I noticed it was running for long periods and hardly ever not running. Fridge and ice box were at the right temperature. I suspected low refrigerant gas.

Eventually last year I got a canister of gas and a kit from ebay. It has a gauge. I plugged it into the connection at the compressor input. As I understand it, with the compressor running, the pressure should be around ambient. It was low. So I added some gas until it was around ambient. Now the fridge runs much less.

Only downside is that the original refrigerant was no longer available so I had to get a compatible substitute. That seems to have resulted in much more gurgling from the fridge, which I did find a bit irritating to start with but have now got used to it and think of it as Telemachus talking to us!

The important point is that too much gas as well as too little gas is bad, so you need to check the pressure before adding any.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Our shoreline fridge is about 11 years old. A few years ago I noticed it was running for long periods and hardly ever not running. Fridge and ice box were at the right temperature. I suspected low refrigerant gas.

Eventually last year I got a canister of gas and a kit from ebay. It has a gauge. I plugged it into the connection at the compressor input. As I understand it, with the compressor running, the pressure should be around ambient. It was low. So I added some gas until it was around ambient. Now the fridge runs much less.

Only downside is that the original refrigerant was no longer available so I had to get a compatible substitute. That seems to have resulted in much more gurgling from the fridge, which I did find a bit irritating to start with but have now got used to it and think of it as Telemachus talking to us!

The important point is that too much gas as well as too little gas is bad, so you need to check the pressure before adding any.

Thanks, that's very helpful