Place to Identify

Heartland

Featured Posts

Certainly looks like the wharf at the top of Atherstone, operated by the Rothens for some while.

Atherstone, like Gopsall Wharf and Hawkesbury became a loading point when the NCB closed or consolidated collieries with waterside access, such as  Pooley Hall and Baddesley.  Coal destined for water transport was then shifted by road from the (new)  allocated colliery to a loading point, put into boats and boated to destination. Chris Deuchar's 'Boater's Guide to Boating' has a description of the scams,  perils and tricks of loading from a lorry.  The stands are still in and they are filling the fore room, so the destination will  be one where the coal is shovelled out to barrow as many grabs  were too wide to work in the fore room without damaging the boat or cloths and the stands would be in the way.

The date is probably mid 60s to very early 70's, after BW ceased carrying and sold off their boats. The earliest date is pinned by Trevor Maggs acquiring Corona, but I cannot remember when that was.  Hs died fairly recently and I think there was a thread on  here about him and Corona.

N8

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

He died fairly recently and I think there was a thread on  here about him and Corona.

Time sometimes passes faster than you think.  Trevor actually passed well over 5 years  ago now.

Definitely Atherstone, and before the Rothens took over, which I believe was early '80's. I would agree that the date is likely to be circa 1970.

Edit: a post in Trevor's RIP shows them loading at Atherstone in 1973, so it could be that date.

Edited by John Brightley