Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahhhh, you have been to Lemonroyd marina like I suggested earlier if you have spoken with Maz me thinks?

I'd never heard of Lemonroyd marina but having just googled it I see it's part of Aquavista (albeit not one of the former Castle marinas). That would be a big plus point for me. We've been in a Castle Marina (now part of Aquavista) for nearly 8 years, and overnighted in several others. We like it so much (although I'm not sure that I'd want to live in any marina for too long) that although I want to relocate away from the immediate Napton/Braunston area I'm reluctant to leave the group. All the marinas we've stayed in were Castle Marinas but the staff and atmosphere were great in all of them and really added to the enjoyment of mooring there.

If the OP can afford to I would suggest mooring there for at least the 1st 6 months/1st winter before considering the c.c. life.

Edited by Lily Rose
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'd never heard of Lemonroyd marina but having just googled it I see it's part of Aquavista (albeit not one of the former Castle marinas). That would be a big plus point for me. We've been in a Castle Marina (now part of Aquavista) for nearly 8 years, and overnighted in several others. We like it so much (although I'm not sure that I'd want to live in any marina for too long) that although I want to relocate away from the immediate Napton/Braunston area I'm reluctant to leave the group. All the marinas we've stayed in were Castle Marinas but the staff and atmosphere were great in all of them and really added to the enjoyment of mooring there.

If the OP can afford to I would suggest mooring there for at least the 1st 6 months/1st winter before considering the c.c. life.

once the house is sold, im hoping to Lily Rose... but when speaking to Maz, she said the next available opening with be october when a gent leaves the uk for good.

but im on her short list so lets hope the house sale goes quickly

until then, if we already have a boat, i think outside the marina on the tow path will be ok :)

19 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I think it was a BWML when I was in it a few years ago?? Its a shame the road approach and area is so grotty. Great bit of waterway though.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think it was a BWML when I was in it a few years ago?? Its a shame the road approach and area is so grotty. Great bit of waterway though.

yes, on leaving the village there is a nice stretch of new tarmac, about 500 mtrs.. then its single lane mostly pot holes etc.. but you are right. its set in nice scenery :)

33 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

already got my brain on the boil how to construct one that can lay flat :)

It’s generally termed an umbrella . If it’s too wet to manage that then head to the side and moor up till the rain stops. 
It would be a big faff having to deconstruct a wooden one and wind can blow wood away quite easily. The there’s overhanging trees of which there are many all ready to sweep unattached stuff off too ☹️

Its surprising how few days there are of unmanageable rain per year. 

23 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s generally termed an umbrella . If it’s too wet to manage that then head to the side and moor up till the rain stops. 
It would be a big faff having to deconstruct a wooden one and wind can blow wood away quite easily. The there’s overhanging trees of which there are many all ready to sweep unattached stuff off too ☹️

Its surprising how few days there are of unmanageable rain per year. 

that is also true.. i could devise a way of having the brolly handle in a tube of sorts instead of having to hold it... also another good idea to think about :)

or a fishermans brolly come to think of it.. much wider :) 

Edited by mightyslay3r

3 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

that is also true.. i could devise a way of having the brolly handle in a tube of sorts instead of having to hold it... also another good idea to think about :)

or a fishermans brolly come to think of it.. much wider :) 

You can buy a purpose made gadget that attaches to the tiller to slip the umbrella into if you realy want to look like a twat 😄

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You can buy a purpose made gadget that attaches to the tiller to slip the umbrella into if you realy want to look like a twat 😄

just trying to think of keeping dry in our beautiful british weather on moving days :) 

i just said to the wife, gonna get a gnome outfit to sit on the stern fishing... what a gimmick for passers by to talk about :)

Edited by mightyslay3r

Just now, mightyslay3r said:

just trying to think of keeping dry in our beautiful british weather on moving days :) 

For the first few years we travelled in high winds, freezing rain, thunderstorms etc etc.............then we had a light bulb moment. The last twenty odd years we didnt travel in bad wevver unless it was reeeeeely reeeely reeeeeeeeeeely necessary 👍

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As far as I'm aware Acquavista = BWML until they added Castle Marinas last year. The last mile to Ventnor Marina is a bit rough too. Single track all the way, first half decent condition with good tarmacpassing places, 2nd half rough uneven surface with only rough passing places that consist of deep muddy puddles after wet weather. I always think if I have to stop in one of those I'm not getting out again.

Apart from the approach by road (which doesn't matter once you're on the boat) Lemonroyd sounds like an ideal base which you can easily take the boat out of for a nice change of scenery and atmosphere.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Harris Tweed shooting jacket is handy. Soaks in the rain and keeps you warm. Hang it by the fire after

The last thing you want is a plastic mac as the rain runs off onto the legs. 

Donkey jacket is another good one but it depends if one wants to look like a country squire or the gardener. 

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

As far as I'm aware Acquavista = BWML until they added Castle Marinas last year. The last mile to Ventnor Marina is a bit rough too. Single track all the way, first half decent condition with good tarmacpassing places, 2nd half rough uneven surface with only rough passing places that consist of deep muddy puddles after wet weather. I always think if I have to stop in one of those I'm not getting out again.

Apart from the approach by road (which doesn't matter once you're on the boat) Lemonroyd sounds like an ideal base which you can easily take the boat out of for a nice change of scenery and atmosphere.

yes it is & also a good base has its close to leeds, castleford etc for when the wife gets a job... she's been none stop applying since last wednesday when she lost hers... poor lass, doesnt know what its like to relax... the boat life might help with that :)

Its quite a nice place as far as marinas go, its also on the small side which is a plus point. Major drawback is its a long walk to the pub!! :o

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I've got one.    https://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/brolly-mate.html

You saying I look like a twat Tim?

Anyway, they're good for the Thames (and other rivers) but rubbish on small canals as they're too easily caught by bridges, trees etc. Takes too long to swing it out of the way. Best to stay moored up.

• Happy 2

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Harris Tweed shooting jacket is handy. Soaks in the rain and keeps you warm. Hang it by the fire after

Donkey jacket is another good one but it depends if one wants to look like a country squire or the gardener. 

agreed... but need to keep the old barnet dry also... lol

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Its quite a nice place as far as marinas go, its also on the small side which is a plus point. Major drawback is its a long walk to the pub!! :o

a long walk & further stumble back ah ah

I've got one.    https://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/brolly-mate.html

You saying I look like a twat Tim?

Anyway, they're good for the Thames (and other rivers) but rubbish on small canals as they're too easily caught by bridges, trees etc. Takes too long to swing it out of the way. Best to stay moored up.

If the cap fits 😂

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You another one, you still aint retired, you still go an help out at the garage 😀

Oh and I have been in receipt of a pension since 1989 :)

I do because I still have an interest in it, plus it means I can do all the work I want on my vehicles in there, no expensive garage bills for me

• Happy 2

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Actually I find a plastic jacket is good. Takes up little space, dries off easily, in light rain the run off doesn't matter and in heavy rain I also put on plastic trousers, put on a cheap matching colour baseball cap and pull the hood up over the cap. The hood keeps my whole head dry and the peak of the cap keeps my face and glasses dry. It's so effective I often don't even notice when the rain stops.

I'm sure it makes me look like a tw*t though but the best way to avoid that is to stay moored up when the rain radar indicates I should.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

agreed... but need to keep the old barnet dry also... lol

I wear a Tilley hat. All the time when not inside boat. 

I wonder if a kilt would be good boating wear. 

• Happy 1

When I sailed offshore I didn't bother keeping dry, getting wet was an occupational hazard, I did however make sure I kept myself warm. 

The clothing I wore was: layer 1 synthetic thermals, layer 2 a baby grow  fleece all in one suit followed by layer 3 an offshore bib and brace bottoms with a high collared jacket with hood.

A bit OTT for canals but I have kept the offshore sailing outer garb if we want to carry on in inclement weather.

When we used to hire boats, The Rochdale Canal, colour matched to the boat!

This is applicable to canals, if you are going to get wet avoid denim, when wet it leeches the heat from the body.

2006_1220Rochdale_Canal10120.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Happy 1

33 minutes ago, magnetman said:

You can always blame the faint smell of pee on your tweed then i suppose? ;) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

About 20 yars ago I found a Gore Tex thinsulate lined "Snowphox" ski suit in a charity shop in Hungerford. It is an all in one thing and was new.  Tenner. And it was the right size for a thin person 6ft2.416inches tall. Which is me so I bought it. Brilliant !

Have occasionally used it in poor conditions and it does work admirably. 

Charity shops arrr always worth checking. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

About 20 yars ago I found a Gore Tex thinsulate lined "Snowphox" ski suit in a charity shop in Hungerford. It is an all in one thing and was new.  Tenner. And it was the right size for a thin person 6ft2.416inches tall. Which is me so I bought it. Brilliant !

Have occasionally used it in poor conditions and it does work admirably. 

Charity shops arrr always worth checking. 

we are always in them.. either giving or buying :) thanks bud