Rcr rescue

Featured Posts

I have a look today and feel about around sump plug 

It definitely I’m not moving I don’t move for a month and then you can see all the fresh oil below an indication that the leak can only be below a Certain level I haven’t overfilled it either so it’s on the top mark

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Us old Norton owners were well used to doing that on a nightly basis.

And BSA,Triumph, Velocette, and most other British bikes.

A Matchless I know of is nicknamed,  Torrey Canyon!

• Haha 1

On 05/01/2023 at 21:33, stagedamager said:

If you're really lucky they'll fix it.

If you're just lucky they'll tell you it's buggered and point you in the direction of their sister company selling refurbished gearboxes.

If you're unlucky they'll tell you the engine is buggered, and sell you a rebuilt engine they've just dug out a hedge. 

Do you know where its leaking from, is it a seal.or the casing itself?

Kind regards

Dan 

Such a man of knowledge? How are you Dan?

32 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A Matchless I know of is nicknamed,  Torrey Canyon!

Was that because the RAF dropped 100's of bombs and even tho it was stationary they couldn't hit it ?

(In total some 161 1,000-lb bombs, 11,00 gallons of kerosene, 3,000 gallons of Napalm and 16 other missiles had been aimed at the ship.)

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You are checking the level in the correct way aren't you. Number 5

image.png.6e31abab33b92a23ebc1465bfa3a1770.png

Also, I find that I need to place the dipstick flat against a piece of paper to read the level otherwise it's nearly impossible to see.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Yes I know that but thank you a lot of people just dip it in 

In that case, if you measure the thread and dip stick you will find the minimum mark with it just dropped in is similar to the maximum and the end of the stick is the minimum.

You can get situations where someone takes the drain plug out and the sealing washer drops off then they put the plug back in not realising that there was a sealing washer.

I think there is a chance that there is a small washer, I don't know maybe a fibre washer or a copper washer, under the gearbox. It depends how clean it is. If it is really clean then it may have been removed during cleaning. I like a really dirty oily engine tray myself as it prevents corrosion.