Narrow Boat Mattresses

SandyD

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If it comes rolled up its not a good mattress, buy better and sleep better.

Not necessarily the case these days - we purchased a hybrid mattress last year and it was 8 layers of differing foam, structure panels etc. It arrived rolled up and within an hour of being unpacked it had expanded to about 12 inches and is the most comfortable mattress we have had.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, CV32 said:

Not necessarily the case these days - we purchased a hybrid mattress last year and it was 8 layers of differing foam, structure panels etc. It arrived rolled up and within an hour of being unpacked it had expanded to about 12 inches and is the most comfortable mattress we have had.

I cannot sleep on foam, its too sweat inducing.  I have seen many that start to break down. I prefer something organic and not made of toxic chemicals.

Prison mattresses are fireproof foam.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I cannot sleep on foam, its too sweat inducing.  I have seen many that start to break down. I prefer something organic and not made of toxic chemicals.

Prison mattresses are fireproof foam.

Lots of pocket sprung matteresses roll up as well as hybrids. Have you even slept on a decent hybrid mattress or just rubbish foam ones? (which are sweaty)

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If it comes rolled up its not a good mattress, buy better and sleep better.

A few years ago I would have strongly agreed.  More recently I've been forced to sleep on Ikea roll-ups and I've been astonished at how comfortable they are, better than my super-expensive sprung mattress at home.

51 minutes ago, IanD said:

Lots of pocket sprung matteresses roll up as well as hybrids. Have you even slept on a decent hybrid mattress or just rubbish foam ones? (which are sweaty)

Just so, mine has a base layer then the main body which I think is pockets, but no wire evident,  then the topping. There may be some memory foam but it's not in the top layer which is sort of like pockets but not pockets exactly. It came in a box and took nearly twenty four hours to expand to full size. Two weeks to sort of settle in. I think it's called airsprung.

I used to buy orthopedic, but now would never go back to traditional. I would not want pure memory foam mattress.

I think a good mattress will be relatively deep, to accommodate the pocket layer.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just so, mine has a base layer then the main body which I think is pockets, but no wire,  then the topping. There may be some memory foam but it's not in the top layer which is like pockets to support the body easily. It came in a box and took nearly twenty four hours to expand to full size.

I used to buy orthopedic, but now would never go back to traditional. I would not want memory foam mattress.

Nowadays a lot of the mattresses which come out top in tests (e.g. Which magazine) are hybrids, usually with a pocket sprung main body and a thin layer of (memory) foam on top, this combines the good support of springs with the soft comfortable surface of a mattress topper. Some of them are however pretty damn expensive... 😞

mattresses.jpg

Mine was fairly expensive in my view, £275 for a single including delivery and removal of old thing. With it being expensive I took a top of the range mattresses protector as a discount. I bought new pillows with protectors, and some other furniture so it was quite an investment. No complaints. 

I would not spent much more than £375 on a double, bearing in mind you can get discounts at this time of year.

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just so, mine has a base layer then the main body which I think is pockets, but no wire evident,  then the topping. There may be some memory foam but it's not in the top layer which is sort of like pockets but not pockets exactly. It came in a box and took nearly twenty four hours to expand to full size. Two weeks to sort of settle in. I think it's called airsprung.

I used to buy orthopedic, but now would never go back to traditional. I would not want pure memory foam mattress.

I think a good mattress will be relatively deep, to accommodate the pocket layer.

Depending on the bed base height, the depth can be a problem for many boats, the best mattresses all seem to be at least 250mm deep, some are 300mm or even more...

47 minutes ago, IanD said:

Nowadays a lot of the mattresses which come out top in tests (e.g. Which magazine) are hybrids, usually with a pocket sprung main body and a thin layer of (memory) foam on top, this combines the good support of springs with the soft comfortable surface of a mattress topper. Some of them are however pretty damn expensive... 😞

mattresses.jpg

Not sure which country that is for, Emma only do two mattress, none of which are called the name shown above.

Why is there not a standard firmness rating for mattress 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Not sure which country that is for, Emma only do two mattress, none of which are called the name shown above.

Why is there not a standard firmness rating for mattress 

That was for the UK, I was just showing it as an example -- all their top-rated mattresses were pocket spring/memory foam hybrids.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Or just prison ones.🤣sharing a cell with another inmate which is making you sweat 🤣🤣