Newbie looking to buy - Help needed please!

AbbieNgriff

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Motorboater said:

https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Spec-Smudgie-1-2.pdf

If it is the boat here, I would say it is priced about right in the current market, it has a nice layout Pullmans seating and as far as I am aware and from what I have seen Sagar built very good quality hulls.

I believe you are incorrect about the pricing  - it is a 40 year old boat, has not been blacked for 5 years, not had the engine serviced for 4 years, has polystyrene insulation and a very small water tank (the OP is looking for a liveaboard boat) and, its been overplated.

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe you are incorrect about the pricing  - it is a 40 year old boat, has not been blacked for 5 years, not had the engine serviced for 4 years, has polystyrene insulation and a very small water tank (the OP is looking for a liveaboard boat) and, its been overplated.

Which is very much at odds with the claim in the listing that says......

she has been looked after, and well maintained to the present day. 

Will probably need new batteries too if not impeccably looked after, these are 2 years old and no solar.

The Aqueduct ad says nothing about overplating - that comes from the photo in post #1, which is presumably from the 2019 survey, as a few of the details differ from the ad.

I'm a little surprised to see 6mm overplating on the original 10mm bottom. The usual justification for bottoms thicker than 6mm is that they will last the age of the boat even if unpainted!

I suspect we have been given links and info on more than one boat, unless the London white wall panels have suddenly removed themselves. If the OP still wants advice I think we need the boat's listing/details identifying by her, so we know we are all talking about the same boat. Otherwise, there is not much point in speculating on a particular listing.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The Aqueduct ad says nothing about overplating - that comes from the photo in post #1, which is presumably from the 2019 survey, as a few of the details differ from the ad.

I'm a little surprised to see 6mm overplating on the original 10mm bottom. The usual justification for bottoms thicker than 6mm is that they will last the age of the boat even if unpainted!

I suppose it could be a different boat, just a coincidence that there are 2 'similar' 1984 Sangars on the market at the same time.

But there again (nothing surprises me about errors and ommissions made by brokers) it also says that this 1984 boat has an RCD 

Explain that one! 

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

but thought it maybe a bit rude to ask.

It might be.

But not as rude as a seller surreptitiously promoting or try to positively influence a novice into buying their boat of dubious distinction.....if that is indeed the case, which it probably isn't!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Motorboater said:

If it is the boat here, I would say it is priced about right in the current market, it has a nice layout Pullmans seating and as far as I am aware and from what I have seen Sagar built very good quality hulls.

If that's the boat, I find myself wondering why it is not listed in the "brokerage" section of the Aquaduct site.

https://aqueductmarina.co.uk/brokerage/second-hand-boats/

I reckon your link might be to an old advert, for a boat long ago sold.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose it could be a different boat, just a coincidence that there are 2 'similar' 1984 Sangars on the market at the same time.

This is interesting:

Both built by Sagar, neither 54ft long! 

image.png.7b5d8dbaa2a998080e39eabed296cbbf.png

Lots of people have said this boat is overpriced at the advertised price, but nobody has suggested how much the OP should offer.

It is often said on the forum that you don't choose the boat, the boat chooses you. In other words you can look at lots of boats that more or less meet your stated requirements, and most of them are OK-ish, but none of them really excite you, then you see a boat which may not have every feature you think you wanted, but just screams out "buy me"! If this is the OP's feeling about this boat, then maybe it is better to pay a little over the odds to get a boat that you have fallen in love with.

• Greenie 1

On 29/12/2022 at 21:40, AbbieNgriff said:

Thanks everyone for all your responses, I wasn’t expecting so many so quickly! Also, your detective skills are impeccable might I add...

correct the boat is that from the Facebook post,

The OP posted this (Post #10 or 11 or something) confirming the boat to be the one in the facebook ad I originally posted https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/482517957187576/ 

7 hours ago, Motorboater said:

This might be the same boat but an advert from a previous sale that google has no doubt trawled up, (although if it is, someone has made some very bad refurb decisions in the interim!).....note the BSS runs out in 2021 in that advert and it's not on the Aquaduct marina  listings as @MtB says. 

Edited by booke23

On 03/01/2023 at 14:02, Alan de Enfield said:

But there again (nothing surprises me about errors and omissions made by brokers) it also says that this 1984 boat has an RCD 

Explain that one! 

Same happened to me a couple of months ago.

Agreed on a purchase, had a survey then to find out the build date was different than the advertised one by some FIVE years.

Got my deposit back but still cost me money.

On 03/01/2023 at 17:58, MtB said:

This is interesting:

Both built by Sagar, neither 54ft long! 

image.png.7b5d8dbaa2a998080e39eabed296cbbf.png

It's quite common to return multiple entries for the same boat with different registration authorities. The details often vary slightly as they are manual entry and depend on exactly what information was given when the boat was registered, what rounding errors get introduced into dimensions and what the person making the entry decided to put in the boxes. We once had to get a hire boat draft of 1.6m corrected in order to book a passage through Harecastle, and Oates has multiple entries, none of which match and none of which are correct.

Note that the above boat has a draft of 1cm according to CRT so it should be ideal for cruising the increasingly silted up bits of the system!

Alec

On 01/01/2023 at 11:22, MtB said:

Agree with all this.

The main benefits of a survey appear to me to be twofold.

1) Psychological. Someone new to narrowboats gets someone with more (but still gappy) knowledge than themselves to point out the obvious. Things that are "obvious" to experienced boaters often aren't to the total newbie. Commonly and disparagingly known as "hand-holding". 

2) Insurance. If buying a boat older than 25 years, insurance companies usually insist on a survey before issuing a comprehensive policy. So if the boater wants comprehensive insurance, a survey cannot be avoided. 

I had a boat survey on the Thames. I was bored and asked the surveyor what qualifications you needed to become a surveyor.

He replied ...none...😳...you can just get some business cards printed and call yourself a surveyor...making sure to put the liability exclusion at the end of the report...in small writing.

Can this be true ? 😳

On 03/01/2023 at 18:08, David Mack said:

Lots of people have said this boat is overpriced at the advertised price, but nobody has suggested how much the OP should offer.

It is often said on the forum that you don't choose the boat, the boat chooses you. In other words you can look at lots of boats that more or less meet your stated requirements, and most of them are OK-ish, but none of them really excite you, then you see a boat which may not have every feature you think you wanted, but just screams out "buy me"! If this is the OP's feeling about this boat, then maybe it is better to pay a little over the odds to get a boat that you have fallen in love with.

I think this idea that the boat choses you is just plain stupid. You buy a boat that fits your budget and has the right accomodation. and

is in an acceptable condition for your skills and budget, then you tweak it to your requirements. When I say tweak, I mean throw cash at it!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I had a boat survey on the Thames. I was bored and asked the surveyor what qualifications you needed to become a surveyor.

He replied ...none...😳...you can just get some business cards printed and call yourself a surveyor...making sure to put the liability exclusion at the end of the report...in small writing.

Can this be true ? 😳

100%

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think this idea that the boat choses you is just plain stupid.

I don't.. Our first boat certainly chosed us. It wasn't perfect but it just had more appeal (an indefinable quality, I know) than any of the 20 or so which we had previously viewed.

Our second and third (current) boats we had built new, so the idea doesn't apply.