The Rose: Built by Doug Moore in 1985

The Rose

Featured Posts

Hello all, 

I'm wondering if anyone can help me trace the history of my boat. 

What I know: She was built in 1985 by Doug Moore (in Barnoldswick?). She's 57 ft long and is now called "The Rose." (but she might have had a previous name? She has a 1955 Ruston Hornsby Engine. On the hull, under Doug Moore's signature (welded to the hull) is a "No 1" (also welded to the hull) and under the other side (also under his signature and welded to the hull) is a "S31." 

I'm guessing that this means its the first boat he built to the S31 design spec? 

If anyone knows any history related to this boat or if you've previously owned her, I'd be really happy to hear from you. I'm trying to pull together a history file. 

Many thanks

James

The Rose.jpg

1 hour ago, The Rose said:

under Doug Moore's signature (welded to the hull) is a "No 1" (also welded to the hull) and under the other side (also under his signature and welded to the hull) is a "S31." 

Have you seen this thread:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/49772-doug-moore-plaque/#comment-927278

If the assumptions there are correct, it would suggest that you have the 31st boat built by Doug and the 1st built at Lower Park Marina.

She was for sale at Braunston marina brokerage in mid 2021. https://braunstonmarina.co.uk/boat-details/nb-the-rose/
It’s possible that you may get some recent history at that time from them if you speak to someone at the marina who was around then. I believe she was for sale a year or two before that as well on Apolloduck. 
I’m pretty sure  someone on here delivered her somewhere recently too. Since then someone else has asked some questions about her engine on here. Can’t seem to find that thread currently though? 

The Rose belonged to Ernie Gough in the nineties, I think he had her built by Doug, she was moored at the bottom of his garden at Adlington on the L & L. I was under the impression the Ruston was one of the reproductions manufactured in India.

The Rose had a permit mooring in Netherwich Basin, Droitwich for one year about 3 years ago.

The owner at that time had cruised it down from the Chester area.

It was taken to Braunston Marina for sale but allegedly had significant issues with the condition of the hull and required overplating. It certainly had some serious internal water leakage issues while at Droitwich.

I last saw it in Tattenhall marina this summer.

If it was purchased with two grey fold up chairs on board those were once mine.

Thanks for all your replies. 

She did apparently have some hull issues in the past which was rectified with a fair amount of spot welding- the previous owner didn't believe in over plating. The last surveyor (June 2021) commented on the high quality of the welding that had been completed and gave her a clean bill of health:

Swim: Originally 10 mm, now (June 2021) 9.5-9.7 mm

Side plating: Originally 8 mm, now (June 201) 6.8-7.5 mm 

As stated in another thread, the 1955 Ruston & Hornsby engine (made under license in India) did have intermittent cooling problems. This turned out to be due to a poorly fitted take-off and return for a calorifier. I have since isolated this and she now runs like a dream- never getting above 80 degree C.  

If anyone has anymore info, I'd love to hear it. 

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi all, 

Due to health issues (I've had a heart attack), The Rose is sadly now up for sale at www.aqueductmarina.co.uk (Nantwich). 

I've had 3 potential buyers so far, who were very interested after viewing the boat (one of whom put in a good offer which I accepted), but all of them changed their minds after reading this thread on this website apparently. This has baffled me a bit....yes the boat has had some minor problems in the past....show me a 40 year old boat which hasn't. The good news is though- they have been fully rectified (at significant expense)- as documented in this thread. The boat is ready to set sail and needs nothing else spending on her. Rest assured that everything now works exactly as it should. 

I have recently significantly reduced the price of this boat and someone is about to pick up an absolute bargain as a result. 

If any prospective buyers have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. 

Best regards

James

A handsome-looking boat by a reputable builder, offered st a good price. That should be a

Edited to add: I;ve just looked at the brokers' web site, and she appears to be under offer already, so it looks as if they are indeed doing their job.recipe for a quick sale, provided the brokers do their job properly.

As an aside, Doug Moore also built a boat called 'Rosie' which we hired from him at Barnoldswick.  We were one of the first to cruise it, and got as far as Castleford IIRC - everything was pristine, including the stove, which was a novelty to us as hirers.  He was hiring it out to possible prospective buyers - little did he know that the asking price was more than our house was insured for!  He was only a little surprised to be paid the hire fee in cash - the takings from our market stalls the previous weekend.   We saw 'Rosie' a few times in later years, once looking a bit run down.    I presume the boat is still in existence.

• Greenie 1

Hi,

The Rose was sold in June 2021. I am not sure who bought her then was it you James ? I am sorry to read of your health problems. I was trying to ascertain if you had a survey done regarding the "over-plating" and "engine problems". As I was told that she needed both.

If the current owner can offer me any assistance then I would be grateful. I found the Parts manual which I have no use for and would be happy to send to you.

I am now a land lubber and missing the old girl but will not be entertaining the idea of buying her back or another one any time soon!

Hi WychRose,

Yes it was me who bought the boat in June 2021. I'm not sure where the reports of her needing overplating originated from. I feel that this may have been exagerated by someone to get the sale price down. She had had a fair amount of spot welding done on the hull in early 2021 and was then surveyed just prior to my purchase. The survey report was really positive (extracts in my post above). She was out of water for blacking and other jobs at Aqueduct over winter (Oct 2022 to Feb 2023) and I can personally vouch for the fact that the hull is very solid. 

As for the engine, there were some cooling issues but it was caused by the calorifier pipes which were too small (diameter). I isolated these and it solved the issue. The engine now runs as sweet as a nut and never exceeds 80 degrees C (running constantly for 8 hour stints). I've also had it inspected by an engineer and he described it as being "in very fine fettle." 

A lot of work has been done on the boat in the last couple of years as I felt it was my duty to preserve such an interesting old boat. She has just been sold to a chap from Nantwich (who i havent met) and I'm sure he will have many happy years of boating with The Rose (which turns heads wherever she goes, especially due to the sound of that glorious engine). 

As for the parts manual, it would be great if you could post it to Aqueduct Marina for the attention of Gareth. I'll ask him to make sure it gets passed onto the new owner. 

Best regards 

James

Hi James,

Thank you so much for replying. I am pleased that she didn't need the over plating and that she didn't need major work on the engine. When I owned her I had the starter motor rebuilt, had the calorifier replaced as it was leaking badly and caused mould and dampness.  I had the heating pump earthed as it was not. I replaced the invertor and the Morso with a Boatman's as the Morso was cracked and leaking carbon monoxide. I replaced the gas stove and had the electrics done. I ran out of money so I couldn't finish all the work she needed.

I asked after the survey as I relied upon the survey given to me by the seller. Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your survey ? which would clearly show that the spot welding was sufficient. I ask this as a favour and as a fellow boater. I can supply my address and will reimburse your p&p ( I would prefer to supply my address via my private e-mail as this is an open forum)

I will send the Parts Manual, I have found pictures of The Rose when she was owned by Ernie Gough, she was blue and green she looked so different but still beautiful !

Thank you again, hoping to hear from you.

A

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, The Rose said:

I know. The sale completed on the first of July then the new owner put her straight back up for sale. Obviously hoping to make a few quid. 

Must have been wearing rose tinted glasses for some reason.🤓🤓