MPPT solar charge controller location

blackrose

Featured Posts

FWIW Gibbo (Mr Smartguage) was very forceful on that topic. I think I recall that He said the vast majority of chargers and inverters that he had looked at/repaired came from the engine space caused by what you say. I am talking about an under boards engine bay, not a proper full height engine room inside the boat.  Cruisers and semi-trads would be the worst.

20 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

There's the security aspect also.... don't want anyone popping up the boards and acquiring it!

But that's the same for batteries and everything else under there too isn't it?

I've met a couple of people who've had their batteries nicked and even a bloke who had his engine stolen! That was more than 20 years ago when I was on my first boat. It must have affected me because I made sure I could lock down the deck boards on this boat.

22 minutes ago, Chris John said:

If the equipment doesn’t have an IP rating I’d say it’s a very bad idea to put electronic equipment in an engine bay. 
What is the IP rating of the equipment you want to install?

I don't think it has an IP rating. Lots of people do put similar equipment into their engine bays without a thought though. I know it's not the best place, but I wonder how many get away with it?

While the controller keeps itself warm to hot there will not be any condensation on it, so it will be fine when  the sun shines.  The problem is those autumn evenings where the controller will have cooled off and the mists are forming. 

I would try to get it inside, perhaps on  the back bulkhead to keep it as close as practicable to the batteries.

If not,  it will survive for a while, but how long is a piece of string?  Much will depend on the quality of the boards inside and on how well any protective coating has been applied.

N

6 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If not,  it will survive for a while, but how long is a piece of string?  Much will depend on the quality of the boards inside and on how well any protective coating has been applied.

On the cheaper controllers, one of the things the manufacturer will skimp on to save cost is conformal coating on the circuitry. Poorly done, or more likely, none at all. I would always have them in an area with insulation around it. Use an external temperature sensor so that the controller knows the actual temperature of the batteries.

Not only are low temperatures and condensation a problem, high temperatures in the engine bay when the engine is running will also shorten the life of the controller. Electronics live longest when cosseted. Not too hot, not cold enough to condense moisture on them, no wild regular temperature and humidity swings. A bit like humans really!

Jen

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

But that's the same for batteries and everything else under there too isn't it?

very true, but its much easier to find a secure location for a small MPPT controller than your batteries....

12 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Surely these things need to be where they can be seen as they give you essential details of the performance of the system. An engine bay is not the place.

depends on the type... Victron jobbies use bluetooth so not really an issue..

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But a typical MPPT has no display, you use a remote MT50 display for your information.

I think that very much depends upon the make and model. Mine certainly has a similar display to the above in the case.

I also wonder how Bluetooth communication will cope with a metal rear bulkhead.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that very much depends upon the make and model. Mine certainly has a similar display to the above in the case.

I also wonder how Bluetooth communication will cope with a metal rear bulkhead.

Mines ok but do have wooden doors. I'm sat about 25ft from the MPPT controllers.

Screenshot_20220904-124252.png

Edited by pearley

I have found that the Victron bluetooth struggles to work through the metal bulkhead and that the app does not work on certain phones. Even does not work on a relatively new samsung.

The app seems to disconnect periodically also if left running for constant monitoring.