We've all been there.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

We can all sympathise. Coming in to moor and you don't quite get it right. Only happens when there are gongoozlers to witness it.

Cruise ship Harmony of the Sea, in Jamaica. Apparently last Thursday. Looks like it has bow, or stern thrusters, which didn't prevent the crunch. It's a contact sport.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Many modern cruise ships have their main propulsion through 360Deg pods, so don't always need thrusters as well. Although HotS is listed as having 4 x 7,400hp bow thrusters. If this was the rear of the ship then it would probably be the main propulsion (3 x 27,000hp).

On 31/05/2022 at 20:05, Jen-in-Wellies said:

We can all sympathise. Coming in to moor and you don't quite get it right. Only happens when there are gongoozlers to witness it.

Cruise ship Harmony of the Sea, in Jamaica. Apparently last Thursday. Looks like it has bow, or stern thrusters, which didn't prevent the crunch. It's a contact sport.

I went to a talk yesterday about the collision, in 2009, between a 3500 tonne service vessel and an oil platform in the North Sea. https://cdiver.net/news/big-orange-xviii-collision-with-ekofisk-complex/. No-one was badly hurt and no hydrocarbons were released into the environment. The ship was 4 m(etres) shorter afterwards.

The story according to the official report differs somewhat from the version I've referenced: the incident was due entirely to human error on both the ship and the platform, there were no failures of any equipment and the actual collision was at 9.3 kts, not 4.5.

Because of the lack of serious consequences the incident didn't make mainstream news, the insurance payout was a mere $700 million.

On 31/05/2022 at 21:19, RS2021 said:

Many modern cruise ships have their main propulsion through 360Deg pods, so don't always need thrusters as well. Although HotS is listed as having 4 x 7,400hp bow thrusters. If this was the rear of the ship then it would probably be the main propulsion (3 x 27,000hp).

Big Orange XVIII had twin 360 degree pods at the stern in addition to bow thrusters. 

5 hours ago, john.k said:

Cruise ships are a giant sail......must be scary docking in a changing wind.

Yes they fascinate me. With such a massive side area presented to the wind, how do the marine architects stop a strong wind or hurricane from the side from just flipping them over? 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Yes they fascinate me. With such a massive side area presented to the wind, how do the marine architects stop a strong wind or hurricane from the side from just flipping them over? 

I think the technical term is crossed fingers.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Perhaps some naval architects are secret fans of '70's disaster movie The Poseidon Adventure and are hoping for a live action remake from found footage on holiday makers 'phones. 😱

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Many many moons ago a favourite toy was a small clown that could be tipped almost horizontal but still made if back upright. This might have given you some understanding of the answer to your question.