Jump to content

Pressure relief valve, calorifier


Featured Posts

Hello all, I need to replace the pressure relief valve on my  Surecal horizontal calorifier as it's constantly dribbling. I cannot get into the engine bay  to have a look at the moment as my back is playing up.

Please does anyone know what size replacement I need so I can order one from somewhere?

Thankyou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Hello all, I need to replace the pressure relief valve on my  Surecal horizontal calorifier as it's constantly dribbling. I cannot get into the engine bay  to have a look at the moment as my back is playing up.

Please does anyone know what size replacement I need so I can order one from somewhere?

Thankyou

 

Do you have an expansion vessel on the hot water system?

 

If not the as the water expands as the calorifier heats up it will lift the PRV and dribble out. If it dribbles and you do have an expansion vessel then you need to check that it is still correctly pressurised at slightly above the pump.cut out pressure.

 

Rotating the knob on the PRV males the valve jump and can often clear calcium deposits which can hold the PRV open.

 

Only when you have checked all of the above consider replacing the PRV.

 

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there is more than one type. They differ in fitting type and size and also the lift pressure. The lift pressure needs to be the same as the old one, which should have been below the safe maximum pressure of the cauliflower and above the cut out pressure of the pump, or pressure switch. Afraid you'll have to look, or get some one else to. A phone on a stick, with a time delay on the camera function might let you take a picture of the old one and save your spine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

above the cut out pressure of the pump

 

That is the actual cut out pressure, not what is written on the pump. Consider if the pump is cutting out at a higher pressure than  you think.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

That is the actual cut out pressure, not what is written on the pump. Consider if the pump is cutting out at a higher pressure than  you think.

 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

That is the actual cut out pressure, not what is written on the pump. Consider if the pump is cutting out at a higher pressure than  you think.

Mine was. I now have a gauge on the plumbing system

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone,. Yes I do have an expansion tank & yes I have tried resetting it to remove and calcium deposits. It drains into my bilge & I have a cup below the pipe so I can tell exactly how bad the drip is. I guess I'll have to wait until someone more agile than me can actually get in, drain the tank and remove the valve for me. I'm hoping that the local plumber suppliers will be able to find a match for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Clodi said:

Thanks everyone,. Yes I do have an expansion tank & yes I have tried resetting it to remove and calcium deposits. It drains into my bilge & I have a cup below the pipe so I can tell exactly how bad the drip is. I guess I'll have to wait until someone more agile than me can actually get in, drain the tank and remove the valve for me. I'm hoping that the local plumber suppliers will be able to find a match for me.

I would doubt a plumbers' merchant will have a marine PRV, they are not used on domestic plumbing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I would doubt a plumbers' merchant will have a marine PRV, they are not used on domestic plumbing.

What is the difference?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Clodi said:

Hello all, I need to replace the pressure relief valve on my  Surecal horizontal calorifier as it's constantly dribbling. I cannot get into the engine bay  to have a look at the moment as my back is playing up.

Please does anyone know what size replacement I need so I can order one from somewhere?

Thankyou

 

Have you tried looking in the manual? It will probably give you a part number for it which you can then buy direct from SureCal or from a boiler spares merchant such as Parts Center.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Far more worrying to my mind is a PRV that sticks shut. May suggestion would be that you alter the pipe work to take any waste overboard and fit accessible twin PRVs

11FFED64-C1A3-46E7-A9B3-83D0DB310098.jpeg

Edited by Mike Jordan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well that didn't take long Surejust > Pressure release valve

 

Good try but it doesn't actually say that is the right PRV for the Surecal calorifier the OP owns. I say this because the OP hasn't told us which one he owns.

 

Yes it is 4 bar as pearley suggested it should be, but we don't know if 4 bar is the correct pressure for the OP's particular calorifier. Nor do we know if it is the right nominal size (usually 1/2" or 3/4"), nor if the inlet and outlet thread formats match.

 

 

28 minutes ago, Mike Jordan said:

Far more worrying to my mind is a PRV that sticks shut. May suggestion would be that you alter the pipe work to take any waste overboard and fit accessible twin PRVs

11FFED64-C1A3-46E7-A9B3-83D0DB310098.jpeg

 

 

This is why household calorifiers also have a "Temperature and pressure relief valve" in addition to the PRV. the TPRV opens at a somewhat higher pressure than the PRV in case the PRV sticks shut. It also opens if the water temp exceeds (typically) 90c. 

Edited by MtB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.