Longer Boats Up Norf

dmr

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, IanD said:

Each? 😉

You should know the package cost. Quite pointless talking costings the way steel prices are changing, That’s a nice shell in the photo, but ultimately could look crap if they don’t get the colour scheme right, or don’t know how to highlight features.

9 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Bow thrusters - I've got one but it's never worked, I believe that's quite typical? It would be nice if it worked but I can't say I've missed it because I don't know what I'm missing. :)

Try checking the fuses, that’s normally the main fault. Better then letting it sit there for years until the boat is sold and the buyer gets £1K knocked off because the seller can’t be bothered to replace a £5 fuse.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Try checking the fuses, that’s normally the main fault. Better then letting it sit there for years until the boat is sold and the buyer gets £1K knocked off because the seller can’t be bothered to replace a £5 fuse.

How rude. Don't jump to conclusions old chap, I've done that, checked the wiring continuity, replaced the dead battery etc. No dice. I don't necessarily want to use it, but it annoys me to have things that don't work. :)

PS I already knocked money off for it not working, so in fact I have nothing to loose, but perhaps £1k to win if I ever get it working. ;)

Edited by Slow and Steady

12 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

How rude. Don't jump to conclusions old chap, I've done that, checked the wiring continuity, replaced the dead battery etc. No dice. I don't necessarily want to use it, but it annoys me to have things that don't work. :)

PS I already knocked money off for it not working, so in fact I have nothing to loose, but perhaps £1k to win if I ever get it working. ;)

Sometimes they have more then one fuse, so if the mega fuse is ok check the fuse actually in the thruster👍

Edited by PD1964

1 minute ago, Slow and Steady said:

Yeah, I know, I have the manual. :)

At least your one step ahead of most with a bow thruster 😂

Just now, MtB said:

I just checked, and a 5m pole costs over a grand! 

You wonder why fisherman get twitchy 🐟

Just now, Goliath said:

Yes I were weren’t I. 👍

Got very confusing earlier. 
I think I’m back on track now. 

Confuse me with whoever you like but not the boiler fixer..

24 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

When I finally got round to seeing why my bow thruster didn't work I found the motor had seized from being in a locker that wasn't properly vented and suffered excess condensation.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I just checked, and a 5m pole costs over a grand! 

Was that a spinnaker pole? A grand is cheap for one...

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

You should know the package cost. Quite pointless talking costings the way steel prices are changing, That’s a nice shell in the photo, but ultimately could look crap if they don’t get the colour scheme right, or don’t know how to highlight features.

Why should I since I never had the slightest interest in fake rivets? 😉 😉 😉

P.S. How many emojis do I have to add to make you spot irony this time?

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Thrusters only for widebeams if that, narrowboats don’t need them.

As you say a modern thing, for people who’s boats don’t handle well or can’t work out how to play the engine/rudder.

So as a master of the engine and rudder, how would *you* have got out of the crosswind/bend/boats/reeds situation I described?

Because there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it, so I'd love to know how I could have done better... 😉

I haven't often wished I had a bow thruster, but that was certainly one situation where one would have saved the day. Go astern, crosswind blows bows sideways into moored boat. Try pushing the stern across to get the bows out, stern hits the moored boat. Do nothing, hit moored boat. Not enough canal width to do anything to get round the bend against the wind.

P.S. Please don't say "I wouldn't have got into that situation in the first place" unless you're clairvoyant, have X-ray vision, and can predict the weather 🙂

Edited by IanD

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

So as a master of the engine and rudder, how would *you* have got out of the crosswind/bend/boats/reeds situation I described?

Because there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it, so I'd love to know how I could have done better... 😉

I haven't often wished I had a bow thruster, but that was certainly one situation where one would have saved the day. Go astern, wind blows bows sideways into moored boat. Try pushing the stern across to get the bows out, stern hits the moored boats. Do nothing, hit moored boats. Not enough canal width to do anything.

P.S. Please don't say "I wouldn't have got into that situation in the first place" unless you're clairvoyant, have X-ray vision, and can predict the weather 🙂

Are you for real? How do I know? I wasn’t there, maybe get a stern thruster as well on your boat, so you can go round in circles. You asked about the cost per rivet. You should know as your going through the pricing phase with TT,  how much was the rivet package?  

Edited by PD1964

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

I haven't often wished I had a bow thruster, but that was certainly one situation where one would have saved the day. Go astern, wind blows bows sideways into moored boat. Try pushing the stern across to get the bows out, stern hits the moored boats. Do nothing, hit moored boats. Not enough canal width to do anything.

Don’t shit it and keep your speed up. 

Just now, PD1964 said:

Are you for real? How do I know? I wasn’t there, maybe get a stern thruster as well on your boat, so yo can go round in circles. You asked about the cost per rivet. You should know as your going through the pricing phase with TT,  how much was the rivet package?  

So if you didn't know and you weren't there, why make the comment "As you say a modern thing, for people who’s boats don’t handle well or can’t work out how to play the engine/rudder. " -- presumably meaning, you're such a superior helmsman that you'd never need one, unlike some people? You obviously didn't bother reading what I said about stern thrusters either -- do you actually have any way of interacting with people other than veiled (or not-so-veiled) insults?

I didn't *ask* about the cost per rivet, it's bleeding obvious that you meant for "the lot" -- it was ironic, but unsurprisingly whistled straight over your head.

Why should I know how much a "rivet package" would cost when I didn't ask (and there's no "standard price list"), any more than I'd know what the cost of an inbuilt Orgasmatron would be?

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Don’t shit it and keep your speed up. 

Yeah, tried that, doesn't work when you can't get the stern round (no room due to boats and reeds) and the bows are being blown sideways. I'm perfectly well aware how to steer a boat and not panic and lose steerage way by slowing down (or even worse, going astern), more throttle to push the stern round usually works -- but not if there's no space to do this.

A bow thruster would have let me push the bows across against the crosswind. It's one of the few times that I've wished for one and it would have been genuinely useful...

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yeah, tried that, doesn't work when you can't get the stern round (no room due to boats and reeds) and the bows are being blown sideways. I'm perfectly well aware how to steer a boat and not panic and lose steerage way by slowing down (or even worse, going astern), more throttle to push the stern round usually works -- but not if there's no space to do this.

A bow thruster would have let me push the bows across against the crosswind. It's one of the few times that I've wished for one and it would have been genuinely useful...

So what happened?

Did you hit anything ? Or felt it was just luck you didn’t? 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

So what happened?

Did you hit anything ? Or felt it was just luck you didn’t? 

Our stern bounced off -- not too hard, no damage -- the moored boat on the outside of the bend as I tried to get the stern round. The owner came out shouting abuse, saying we were the third boat that had hit him that afternoon.

I did ask him if that might just possibly be due to him mooring in a stupid place -- he wasn't alone, he was in the middle of a line of boats but on the outside of the bend with a reed bank on the inside -- but he insisted it was all my fault and threatened to report me to the hire base. I told him where to go...

A bow thruster is not a substitute for competent boat handling, but is still useful on occasions -- an unexpectedly strong cross-current from a byewash just below a lock is another one that springs to mind, even if you allow for it you can sometimes get caught out, because nobody's perfect... 😉

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, IanD said:

So if you didn't know and you weren't there, why make the comment "As you say a modern thing, for people who’s boats don’t handle well or can’t work out how to play the engine/rudder. " -- presumably meaning, you're such a superior helmsman that you'd never need one, unlike some people? You obviously didn't bother reading what I said about stern thrusters either -- do you actually have any way of interacting with people other than veiled (or not-so-veiled) insults?

I didn't *ask* about the cost per rivet, it's bleeding obvious that you meant for "the lot" -- it was ironic, but unsurprisingly whistled straight over your head.

Why should I know how much a "rivet package" would cost when I didn't ask (and there's no "standard price list"), any more than I'd know what the cost of an inbuilt Orgasmatron would be?

Not superior Helmsman, just never needed a bow thruster on my boat. As for your byewash, just steer into the byewash with some power on, when it pushes you over, your front is basically in the lock, put some power on and don’t worry about scrapping your boat, you obviously worry about scrapping your boat, but that’s why boats have rubbing strakes. In your case a bow thruster. Hate to think how your going to be like with your new boat.

The advice that Northern boaters have given you to the original post is to go less then 60ft to be stress free. For some reason you want a 60ft, your boat so your decision. You could easily fit your interior inside a 59ft. Why not just go over the L&L, I take it you won’t be single handed?
 Maybe worth reading “Living the Dream by Trevor Pavitt” about doing the system on a 60ft.

Edited by PD1964