Water pooling on one side of the engine room

5arahj6yne

Featured Posts

Hi Canal World boat brain,

I'm new to boating and don't know the correct technical lingo yet, so excuse my inaccurate account of the issue.

My boat is a 60ft narrowboat, cruiser stern, built in the late 90s, with a keel-cooled, barrus shire engine.

I haven't checked my engine room in over a week now and on lifting the cover discovered quite a large quantity of water in both the big pump area and the chamber on the right hand side of the engine tray (the sealed off bit filled with bricks). (see picture).

I'm going to empty with a sponge and dispose of safely away for the canal - but wondering a) how serious this amount of water is and b) how it would get in there. 

The bilge pump with set to auto, however did not seem to have been emptying the water while I was away. When I switched it on, much of that chamber was drained. The other bit I'm talking about is sealed off from the bilge pump area, so not sure how the water could get in there in the first place. I'm also thinking if its from rainwater (the pram hood was not up) why is it just on that side?

Thanks for your help!! 

1381793457_WhatsAppImage2022-04-16at09_24_25.jpeg.7745f87c3218503eef9009583b714458.jpeg

Tip the boat the other way?

Cruiser stern, clean out the deck drain channels. It is most likely rain water.

You need to get in there and do a lot of cleaning and tidying before the rust takes hold.

That oily rag under the wiring loom and the fuel filter is just asking to have an engine fire.

Do you really need those cobbles as ballast?  Not in the best place.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

No boat is always truly upright.  There is always a slight list one way or the other.   Even the wind will cause a slight list.  Any water that gets in flows naturally to the low side.  The weight of that water makes the list greater so the next lot of water flows downhill, and so it goes till the water is pumped out.

The water itself is probably a combination of condensation and leaks/overflowing from the drain channels.  Answer is to keep the pram hood up when you are not there.

Automatic bulge pumps are renowned for failing.  Either  the switch decides not to switch off, which in time flattens the battery (or burns the pump out)  or it refuses to switch on.  A common cause is cr@p in the float switch.  Worth keeping the bilge clean, and checking the float before you leave the boat for a long spell.

N

23 minutes ago, BEngo said:

No boat is always truly upright.  There is always a slight list one way or the other.   Even the wind will cause a slight list.  Any water that gets in flows naturally to the low side.  The weight of that water makes the list greater so the next lot of water flows downhill, and so it goes till the water is pumped out.

The water itself is probably a combination of condensation and leaks/overflowing from the drain channels.  Answer is to keep the pram hood up when you are not there.

Automatic bulge pumps are renowned for failing.  Either  the switch decides not to switch off, which in time flattens the battery (or burns the pump out)  or it refuses to switch on.  A common cause is cr@p in the float switch.  Worth keeping the bilge clean, and checking the float before you leave the boat for a long spell.

N

And that is why I hate bilge pumps. People don't seem to care why or where the water comes from, just pump it out. A thimble full of water in my bilge is too much. A boat is designed to have water outside. 

• Greenie 2

Thanks for thoughts & suggestions everyone. 

Tracy D'arth: oily rag under wiring loom - I have inherited the engine this way and have not yet accustomed to seeing things which might be bad/dangerous - will take another look and consider moving/better understanding why it's there! Also, when you say the cobbles are not in the best place - where would they be better placed if they are a necessary ballast...

Bengo: good to know about automatic bilge pumps being unreliable, cheers. And yes the boat is definitely listing at the moment. Will also keep pram hood up when away!

Higgs: yes that section is isolated from any other - I'm hoping it is just listing and poor drainage.

• Greenie 1

These are used a lot for ballasting. Can be painted and put somewhere inside the boat, maybe in a step or painted decorative box. Can still find them, at metal scrap yards would be one place to look. The cobbles you have are so much clutter, in your engine space. 

Avery.jpg.391e41084e8881921755918e9eb90499.jpg

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, 5arahj6yne said:

Thanks for thoughts & suggestions everyone. 

Tracy D'arth: oily rag under wiring loom - I have inherited the engine this way and have not yet accustomed to seeing things which might be bad/dangerous - will take another look and consider moving/better understanding why it's there! Also, when you say the cobbles are not in the best place - where would they be better placed if they are a necessary ballast...

Bengo: good to know about automatic bilge pumps being unreliable, cheers. And yes the boat is definitely listing at the moment. Will also keep pram hood up when away!

Higgs: yes that section is isolated from any other - I'm hoping it is just listing and poor drainage.

The rag looks as though it is to stop the wiring and the hose chaffing on the gearbox. Bad idea. Better to secure both properly so they can't chaff. If the wiring chaffs and sparks on the rag, bye bye boat.

If the hull is sitting at the correct height, the uxter plate under the counter should just be under the water when the boat is not loaded in any way including by people. If it is deeper than this you may not need that ballast. Boats gain weight as they age so it may well be too deep at the stern now.

In any event it would be better under the floor where it can stay dry. Then you can keep the two swim areas dry and clean.

The water looks a bit oily which it shouldn't be but that might just be the photo. Others will know better than me but the fuel filter right at the bottom of the picture (big silver thing) seems to have a bit of copper pipe sticking out of it and going into a black plastic pipe, that is probably a boat safety cert. fail but more importantly might be dripping a bit of fuel and even more importantly might just suck a bit of air into the system and then the engine will stop. Its only a cheap 5 minute job to fix properly and I don't really know what it does. 

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

The water looks a bit oily which it shouldn't be but that might just be the photo. Others will know better than me but the fuel filter right at the bottom of the picture (big silver thing) seems to have a bit of copper pipe sticking out of it and going into a black plastic pipe, that is probably a boat safety cert. fail but more importantly might be dripping a bit of fuel and even more importantly might just suck a bit of air into the system and then the engine will stop. Its only a cheap 5 minute job to fix properly and I don't really know what it does. 

So you don't know what it does but have now frightened the op that it is a bss fail or could cause the engine to stop

Edited by Tonka
Spelling

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think that it is flexible conduit around the copper pipe.

Just now, Tonka said:

So you don't know what it does but have now frightened the op that it is a bss fail or could cause the engine to stoo

'Fraid so. I was trying not to be alarmist and I really cannot tell what it is but if its from the tank its not great and it will give trouble - the BSS issue is just paperwork so far as I'm concerned but it really is just a small job to fix and it might just be dripping fuel into the bilge,  -Sorry if I scared the OP.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think that it is flexible conduit around the copper pipe.

Oh.... it could be..... I'll get my coat....

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Thats the fuel line in from main tank, the fuel direction arrow on the filter is the clue. The black hose to the right is fuel line out(arrowed again) to pump/engine and the similar pipe bottom left going into copper is the fuel return to tank from engine as seen right of photo with other fuel line, this is not connected to the filter. Now you know the connections.
 The only BSS thing is, some examiners may want the compression joint from the flexible fuel return line supported/held with P Clip’s to minimise stress on the compression joint. As you see it could be susceptible from engine vibration through the rubber pipe causing the joint to loosen/fail. Always best to support compression joints either side. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by PD1964

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Do you really need those cobbles as ballast?  Not in the best place.

I think those cobbles are pig iron, that is what I have for ballast from a trawler, but not just chucked in a heap like that

Edited by ditchcrawler

5 hours ago, BEngo said:

No boat is always truly upright.  There is always a slight list one way or the other.   Even the wind will cause a slight list.  

I would check your cabin bilges. If a boat is tender and easily lists from one side to the other it could mean there's a lot of water in the bilges. 

Do you have an inspection hatch in the floor at the back of the cabin? It might not have any water down there but best to check.

Bee, what are ya doin to me! Though I do appreciate the concern and engine room analyses. 

Higgs, thank you for the suggestion with ballast weights - also appreciate info from ditchtrawler about being pig iron - I can perhaps tidy up when I get stuck in with cleaning/getting water out. 

Blackrose - not sure if i do have an inspection hatch to check cabin bilges, will investigate. 

Thanks again all for insightful responses. 

22 minutes ago, 5arahj6yne said:

not sure if i do have an inspection hatch to check cabin bilges, will investigate. 

If not it would be a real good idea to make one. Is there a wardrobe on the back bulkhead in which you could cut a hole in the floor? You only need a hole big enough to see down and get a wet vac hose in to suck any water out. One side or the other is best, you can heel the boat so it is the lowest point to empty.

Hi Sarah,

In your picture it looks like there  is a possibility of the rubber pipe which goes into either the bottom  of the skin tank / or goes I to a calorifier on the other side of the bulk head( dividing wall).

Could it be that part of this hose connection arrangement is being compromised by the weight of the stones and or lumps of iron.

They may have moved a circlip band that everything water tight. You have an arrangement of rubber pipes, white and black with circlip / jubilee clips in view in the top right of your picture.

I would move that area of  ballast and dry it a little, then see if anything has worked itself loose.

Hope you work it out, I had a similar problem  last year, but mine was a prv valve on the calorifier which had rusted through the threads,

The flooring under my bed was very wet indeed, which eventually works it's way to the back of the boat.

Hope this helps.