An Horse

Featured Posts

How much does the fuel for the horse cost?

how easy is it to get it delivered? Store it?

do you have stabling available?

what will you do to pass moored boats…?

will the horse join a Union and demand holiday pay…a pension…healthcare?????

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

With the price of diesel and the cost of going over to electric, I’m thinking of getting an horse to pull the boat.

What problems do you think I’d have?

And can a boat and an horse be worked single handed? That’d be me first worry.

Well first of all you'll need written permission from C&RT to tow with a horse, and single handing will be impossible. In fact you'll need 3 people.......one to lead the Horse, one to steer the boat, and one standing on top of the boat with a long pole to lift the tow rope over moored boats and their TV aerials!

When you get to a tunnel, the horse and the handler goes over the top, while the steerer and pole person legs the boat through. 

So yeah, not really single handing territory!

Edited by booke23

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

What problems do you think I’d have?

Firstly, 'orses are no longer allowed on the towpath. Secondly, should you encounter a moored bote, it gets tricky especially if they has a telly. 

Thirdly, yes you can do it single handed, as long as you have a child handy to drive the 'orse.

3 minutes ago, Balloon said:

I’ll get one off Amazon

I've already considered picking up half a dozen beefy labradors from a shelter, and using them to pull the boat when I run out of diesel. 

The whole business would be disgraceful, of course- I would be a sort of Fagin of labradors, if you will. But needs must, in a post-apocalyptic society.

I know of a few troublesome jack russells I could probably add in to the team, but I feel their contribution would be mostly symbolic. 

But the snag that immediately sprang to mind and foiled my dastardly plan was that of getting the tow rope over the moored boats as I passed.

Some of these chaps have external aerials that are 10 feet high, but even a few roof boxes with plants in them could spell disaster for my plucky labrador team. 

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Balloon said:

Genuinely, I bet if you looked at capital costs, food, and healthcare, it’d be way more expensive than diesel per mile. 

BOUND to be true or diesel motors would never have caught on. 

3 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I've already considered picking up half a dozen beefy labradors from a shelter, and using them to pull the boat when I run out of diesel. 

The whole business would be disgraceful, of course- I would be a sort of Fagin of labradors, if you will. But needs must, in a post-apocalyptic society.

I know of a few troublesome jack russells I could probably add in to the team, but I feel their contribution would be mostly symbolic. 

But the snag that immediately sprang to mind and foiled my dastardly plan was that of getting the tow rope over the moored boats as I passed.

Some of these chaps have external aerials that are 10 feet high, but even a few roof boxes with plants in them could spell disaster for my plucky labrador team. 

That could be a bit rough rough. 

Just now, Balloon said:

I’d tow mine myself but the cost in enormous pub dinners I’d need is way more than diesel

Swerving right orf at a tangent, there was an intriguing debate on the steam radio the other day about electric bicycles, and whether they caused more CO2 emissions or fewer than conventional bikes. 

The argument being, while charging the batts obviously creates some CO2 as not all leccy is generated with wind/solar/etc, the extra food a conventional cyclist needs to eat to get the energy to ride the bike has to be grown/farmed/fertilised etc too, and that exceed the CO2 from charging the batts. 

Or DOES it?

16 minutes ago, Balloon said:

How would you get the horse out of the canal in the evening ?

Would its 'ooves go soft and wrinkly ?

Just now, MtB said:

Swerving right orf at a tangent, there was an intriguing debate on the steam radio the other day about electric bicycles, and whether they caused more CO2 emissions or fewer than conventional bikes. 

The argument being, while charging the batts obviously creates some CO2 as not all leccy is generated with wind/solar/etc, the extra food a conventional cyclist needs to eat to get the energy to ride the bike has to be grown/farmed/fertilised etc too, and that exceed the CO2 from charging the batts. 

Or DOES it?

Interesting argument. I think it vastly depend on whether the cyclist is a vegetarian. I’d say a meat eating cyclist would exceed the CO2. My ex husband (an avid cyclist) ate so much meat to offset his commute that I’m sure as a vegetarian driver I was more carbon neutral 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

This reminds me of a discussion I was having with a colleague a few months ago. We were musing about riding a bicycle down a road and the number of cars that have to slow down, then accelerate to overtake you. Obviously this increases the emissions of vehicles that are required to do this, and we were wondering if anyone made an attempt to calculate the figure. Per car it wouldn't be much, but what about if 100 cars or more have to do this on your bike ride? 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or DOES it?

I'm starting to see the flaw in my dietary strategy.

When I go shopping, I'm using the titanic 250watt motor on my ebike, but I'm eating as if I were cycling au naturale.

The decadence of it all is frankly appalling.

• Greenie 1