An Horse

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Really? When we had commercial licences we used to put boats where the owner requested. That must be a new condition.

Having said that in those days most jobs we did were breakdowns and sinkers, the breakdowns were genuine.

Towed a 14 ft wide houseboat pontoon from ricky to uxbridge dock once. That was fun. Frightening going down denham deep lock.

It’s what CRT Business Boating say. I do wonder if it’s on the assumption the towed vessel is unoccupied though.

On 16/03/2022 at 00:53, Ronaldo47 said:

Something I have been unable to find, other than as an artists' impression in a sales brochure (I last looked around 3 years ago), is a photo of State House,  the horrendous 1960's office block in Holborn, London where I used to work in the 1970's and 80's. It had a foundation stone proclaiming that it had been designed by the xxxxxx and yyyyyyy  architects, and someone had added in felt tip pen "and they should be ashamed of themselves". It was a real-life example of the type of office block mentioned in an episode of "Yes Minister" that could only be legally occupied by civil servants because it did not comply with building regulations. 

This one?

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/volume/BF093712

On 15/03/2022 at 22:12, Balloon said:

I’d tow mine myself but the cost in enormous pub dinners I’d need is way more than diesel

I’ve always thought if push came to shove, so to speak, then I would tow the boat meself. 
I’ve broken down a few times and always managed to bow haul on me own to ‘somewhere’.

The advantage of bow hauling by meself over avin an horse is one can walk the gunnels of moored boats and avoid taking the chimneys off.

The hard bit is when trees and bushes have been allowed to over grow. 

By using the Share or Embed tools provided with some images on this website, you are using a link that enables image-streaming. This links from the shared image back to our source website where the image can be viewed at high resolution with accompanying rights information. This form of image-streaming for non-commercial purposes is a permitted use. Historic England reserve the right to withdraw any link without notice, including (but not limited to) if we believe rights have been infringed.

6 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

By using the Share or Embed tools provided with some images on this website, you are using a link that enables image-streaming. This links from the shared image back to our source website where the image can be viewed at high resolution with accompanying rights information. This form of image-streaming for non-commercial purposes is a permitted use. Historic England reserve the right to withdraw any link without notice, including (but not limited to) if we believe rights have been infringed.

I think Ronaldo47's problem is that, like me, he simply cannot find any photos in the link you posted.

We are both probably making a fundamental error or missing something.

It makes a change to find organisations offering royalty-free images. I have come across many on-line sources that offer images for which they either do not own the copyright, or any copyright that may have subsisted has long expired. Charging a fee for  reproduction is lawful but is not a copyright right. 

Unlike patents and trade marks, there is no specific statutory offence of unjustified assertion of copyright ownership. Mere posession of a photograph does not entitle you to any copyright in it, you would normally  need to produce a documentary chain of signed  assignments from the original author to yourself to prove ownership before taking enforcement action in  a court of law. 

On 18/03/2022 at 04:20, roland elsdon said:

Really? When we had commercial licences we used to put boats where the owner requested. That must be a new condition.

Having said that in those days most jobs we did were breakdowns and sinkers, the breakdowns were genuine.

Towed a 14 ft wide houseboat pontoon from ricky to uxbridge dock once. That was fun. Frightening going down denham deep lock.

On 18/03/2022 at 11:16, Captain Pegg said:

It’s what CRT Business Boating say. I do wonder if it’s on the assumption the towed vessel is unoccupied though.

I've just read the words again in detail and it says that boats awaiting collection after delivery must be on a "private mooring under your control" and cannot be left on towpath moorings. That infers that provided the boat is immediately occupied upon delivery to a towpath mooring then that is OK.