River cruiser

Freelife

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you do that you'll actually be providing a service to the marina and the non-liveaboard boat owners by acting as unpaid security deterrent.

A lot of people come up with that excuse that they’re doing everyone a favour including the Marina operator, but in reality they’re ripping the Marina owner off by not paying full residential mooring fees, using more of the facilities for free and winding proper Residential paying moorers up.

The other laughable excuse is when they convince themselves they’re allowed to live on a leisure mooring for 50 weeks of the year and have to vacate it for 2 weeks making it perfectly ok.

In a private Marina with mixed leisure and residential moorings, you will be noticed, especially in a smaller Marina and living on 32ft GRP amongst Narrowboats will definitely be noticed.

You would be better off just finding official residential moorings and live normal with an address.

13 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

So do we know what river it's on?  It matters because different navigation authorities have different rules when it comes to liveaboards.

Reading his posts, I doubt he’s looking at the rules and abiding by them, as he’s said it’s a leisure Marina, so non residential.

Unless he only lives on for one night a week, as you say different rules.

Edited by PD1964

18 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I see no-one has asked the question, so...........

You have checked that you can get your river crusier to the marina, haven't you?
We have had new members who have bought a crusier wider than 7' and then found they can't get it along a narrow canal to get there.

Hi yes she is on her mooring which is lovely thank you for asking.

29 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Reading his posts, I doubt he’s looking at the rules and abiding by them, as he’s said it’s a leisure Marina, so non residential.

Unless he only lives on for one night a week, as you say different rules.

Hi he is a she and I’m definitely abiding by the rules..

I was just getting information which some kind people have give me here.

it’s both residential and leisure as I found out today.

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A lot of people come up with that excuse that they’re doing everyone a favour including the Marina operator, but in reality they’re ripping the Marina owner off by not paying full residential mooring fees, using more of the facilities for free and winding proper Residential paying moorers up.

The other laughable excuse is when they convince themselves they’re allowed to live on a leisure mooring for 50 weeks of the year and have to vacate it for 2 weeks making it perfectly ok.

In a private Marina with mixed leisure and residential moorings, you will be noticed, especially in a smaller Marina and living on 32ft GRP amongst Narrowboats will definitely be noticed.

You would be better off just finding official residential moorings and live normal with an address.

I've provably saved about 5 boats from sinking in the various marinas and other moornings I've been living at - because I was there! With attitudes like yours perhaps I won't bother anymore!

How can they be ripping the marina owner off if the marina owner has given them permission to live aboard? 

I've been noticed for the past 17 years and everyone has been perfectly happy with me - except for you it seems!

You seem completely unaware that official residential moorings are as rare as hen's teeth, but since you talk a lot of nonsense I wouldn't expect you to know much about the situation at all. 

58 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Hi he is a she and I’m definitely abiding by the rules..

I was just getting information which some kind people have give me here.

it’s both residential and leisure as I found out today.

Hi, if you can get residential moorings get them. Living under the radar in a Marina with full time residential moorers is not the best thing. With residential you should have a proper address which makes things like Mail, getting credit and ever day life more relaxing, instead of  sneaking around trying not to be noticed. 

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Hi, if you can get residential moorings get them. Living under the radar in a Marina with full time residential moorers is not the best thing. With residential you should have a proper address which makes things like Mail, getting credit and ever day life more relaxing, instead of  sneaking around trying not to be noticed. 

Yes thank yo so much!!

I seem to have crossed over on another post which was not my intention 

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've provably saved about 5 boats from sinking in the various marinas and other moornings I've been living at - because I was there! With attitudes like yours perhaps I won't bother anymore!

How can they be ripping the marina owner off if the marina owner has given them permission to live aboard? 

I've been noticed for the past 17 years and everyone has been perfectly happy with me - except for you it seems!

You seem completely unaware that official residential moorings are as rare as hen's teeth, but since you talk a lot of nonsense I wouldn't expect you to know much about the situation at all. 

Such a hero, yes don’t bother and go and get a residential mooring.

Because your not paying full moorings as the residentials, but still using the facilities I take it.

The people that are happy with you are probably the same as you, living full time on a leisure mooring, thinking they’re clever.

Yes residential moorings are getting rare, but they are out there if your prepared to pay, obviously your not and are freeloading on leisure moorings, I don’t talk nonsense but I’m not a fan of free loaders when people are paying residential in a Marina, obviously you can’t afford to live residential and change Moorings to suit your wallet.

I do know about things on the canal, I just pay my way unlike some.

Edited by PD1964

37 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Yes thank yo so much!!

I seem to have crossed over on another post which was not my intention 

I don’t think there has been any cross over, you asked about living on a 33ft River Cruiser, then said you plan to live on it in a leisure Marina, where people live onboard if you know what I mean( ie unofficially)

So peoples replies will reflect both points.

If you give a rough area where your going to be, people might point you to moorings where you may achieve either residential of best under the radar moorings, if you know what I mean.

Edited by PD1964

7 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Hi ok that’s fine.

No problem I’m trying to figure out a few things and mostly helpful information is appreciated. 
I have learnt a lot about batteries today.

I hope I can now ask questions that do not related to moorings?

Yes I think that’s best if you plan to live under the radar, just be careful and don’t broadcast it too much, If you do decide to live under the radar it’s often best to be a bit defensive with strangers asking questions in the Marina. Good luck.

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes I think that’s best if you plan to live under the radar, just be careful and don’t broadcast it too much, If you do decide to live under the radar it’s often best to be a bit defensive with strangers asking questions in the Marina. Good luck.

I've used 3 marinas in the 10 years that I've had the boat. One had a choice of residential or non-residential moorings, they charged more for residential but provided more services in return. They were quite watchful for non-official 'residents'' which is fair enough.

Both the others had a 'no residential use' policy (it's in the contracts) but both had many residential boaters, the staff at both were well aware of this but nothing was said. I don't live on my boat but my perception is that you don't have to keep your head down very far in order to do so.

Life is more relaxing if you don't worry about what others may be "getting away with"; it's not worth the stress and it's an unattractive trait to display.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

I don't live on my boat but my perception is that you don't have to keep your head down very far in order to do so.

My experience too. All you have to do is use your boat like a leisure boat i.e. don't have mail delivered to the marina expecting the office staff to handle it, don't hog the water tap by keeping your hose permanently connected to it, don't hang out washing to dry so the place looks like a shanty town, and stuff like that.