Kelpie will be on the move again.

haggis

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

However our sellotape doesn't seem to be strong enough and they keep falling down 😉. No problems with the whisky though !  

Haggis

You mean, it is strong enough, and you keep falling down?

Lol. No, we haven't fallen down yet despite having a whisky to " toast the voyage " which of course hasn't started yet. 😉.  We might need to have a few more though to ensure we enjoy the usual Street boating weather when we do set off. 

Haggis

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Lol. No, we haven't fallen down yet despite having a whisky to " toast the voyage " which of course hasn't started yet. 😉.  We might need to have a few more though to ensure we enjoy the usual Street boating weather when we do set off. 

Haggis

Very jealous. 
Christmas on the boat is the best. 
Not been able to do it for a few years now. 

A morning cruise to the pub for a Christmas pint is ace. 

Edited by Goliath

Kelpie is not yet on the move ! It was cold yesterday and not good weather to work on the engine but today is milder so work has started. I gather that the big problem is that you need to be a skinny contotrionist to work on engine mounts 😉. There is no rush to get the job done and if we  have Christmas day in the marina that is no problem. Meanwhile, feeling a bit guilty at doing nothing, I washed the centre ropes and the boat roof. 

The canal is very quiet and the only moving boat I have seen is Halsall which has been in the marina since yesterday morning supplying coal, diesel etc and doing pump outs for the 140 boats moored here. A great service.,!

Have an enjoyable Christmas everyone, no matter where you are. 

Haggis

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Very quiet on the Coventry this Christmas. Only two boats passed us on Christmas Day.

Perhaps the intermittent heavy showers had something to do with it.

I miss Christmas boating. I’m on parent sitting duty again!…we did go out the other day in thick fog…as did a few others we met!! I do prefer it when it’s bright & crisp with some mulled product warming nicely on the back cabin stove. 

• Greenie 2

Hope you all had a good Christmas. What or who is Kelpie? Assume it must be your boat? It could be a friend's boat for all I know. I'm on my phone so if it's in your profile description I can't see it.

it's a bit like when someone keeps talking about "Caroline" or "Amanda" like you've met before, but you're supposed to work out it's someone talking about his wife.

Anyway, Derek will be on the move this morning. That's what I call my car 😋

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Ahoy there Mrs H, I'm back at Anderton after a couple of weeks up near Preston Brook. I don't really fancy the Bridgewater at the moment, but am instead thinking of moving back towards Chester for a bit.

Anyhoo... I'll be starting back to towards Middlewich on Wednesday with some crew- who will be worked to within an inch of their lives going through the various Middlewich locks, so fingers crossed you will pass then, or perhaps before.  Any idea when you're due to be passing this way?

I've received a haircut since we last met, so will be unrecognisable from the shabby and demoralised creature I was at Nantwich. Fortified by my new fashionable appearance, I shall be out for most of tomorrow and Tuesday afternoon on a variety of shopping missions (in preparation for the crew's visit) but hopefully will be around when you pass. 

There's very little phone signal here (and thus internet), so I've no idea what has been happening in our green and pleasant land for the last few days, although everybody I know on Whatsapp seem to be in high spirits, so clearly no revolution yet. 

Das Vidanya Komrade.

Wow, what a lot to catch up on this morning.  Blackrose, Kelpie is our 58 foot narrowboat which lives in Park Farm Marina when we are not out boating. We are still there and this is the longest we have ever stayed I one place in all out 30 odd years boating but we might escape today. Replacing the engine mounts has been a pig of a job because of the tight access but as it is a bit milder today Iain thinks he might finish the job. Tony, we will probably spend a night at Anderton when we get on the move and we look forward to seeing you. As the boat won't have had a hair cut I am sure we will recognise it 😉

Haggis

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

Dry at the moment and not too cold. Lots of rain during the night 

Dry indeed- the entire ship's store of Baileys has run out. There will of course be an inquiry into the matter in due course, but the flag has been lowered to half mast in recognition of the gravity of the current crisis. 

I am about to go on a humanitarian foraging mission to the local co-op, but I fear the local civilian population will have scoured the shelves clean of any remaining stocks.

The crew may well be left will only beer for the remainder of the holiday period. 

I might even have to go cruising just to take my mind off of the horror of our situation. 

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Briss said:

Mutiny maybe the only option.

In fairness I ought to point out that my crew is entirely imaginary, which concerns me on several levels. But in a practical sense it means mutiny is impossible.

It also means that Monday's Court of Inquiry into the Baileys disaster will likely not go very well for me, being the chief quartermaster and the logistics czar of the entire operation. 

Can't you pass the blame to one of the imaginary crew? Since you are also sitting on the bench for the enquiry I am sure you will be able to persuade yourself (with reasoned argument) that it was indeed one of the non existent crew members at fault.

Tony, you didn't mention this catastrophic event when we stopped and had a socially distanced beer on the towpath and I think brandy was in fact mentioned. I hope that tomorrows jaunt on the electric scooter,  which you don't have,  will replenish your stocks

Haggis 

5 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Can't you pass the blame to one of the imaginary crew? Since you are also sitting on the bench for the enquiry I am sure you will be able to persuade yourself (with reasoned argument) that it was indeed one of the non existent crew members at fault.

This is the kind of inspirational legal mind that I need on the bench tomorrow.

The ringleader is a cunning devil called Wilson, whom I created by painting a human face onto a football (very much as Tom Hanks did in the film 'Castaway'), at the height of the lockdown isolation last Winter.

As we all did, I'm sure. 

Wilson will be acting for the Narrowboat Admiralty in this case (which I think is a thing he just invented).

Frankly I think they've got me bang to rights.

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

Tony, you didn't mention this catastrophic event when we stopped and had a socially distanced beer on the towpath and I think brandy was in fact mentioned. I hope that tomorrows jaunt on the electric scooter,  which you don't have,  will replenish your stocks

Haggis 

My dear Haggis, when you saw me arriving on the bike, the initial crisis was already over- I had secured a supply of Baileys. 

But the damage has been done.

An entire half of an evening- a christmas evening, no less-  was spent with no Baileys.

This is not the kind of offence that can just be overlooked. 

Needless to say, tensions aboard ship are running high this evening, and I fear my football friend may suffer an accident with a sharp implement. 

After a good run up to Castlefield Kelpie has given up on engaging gear! Despite Iain working on it for a few hours yesterday, hampered by the lack of a tool of just the right size, it is not playing ball this morning. RCR are on their way ! 

The sun is shining though 

Haggis

3 hours ago, haggis said:

After a good run up to Castlefield Kelpie has given up on engaging gear! Despite Iain working on it for a few hours yesterday, hampered by the lack of a tool of just the right size, it is not playing ball this morning. RCR are on their way ! 

The sun is shining though 

Haggis

I spoke too soon! As soon as RCR left it started to rain 

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

Hopefully RCR haven’t sold you a new gearbox/engine/boat…..if they have just fixed the fault then maybe Christmas miracles do exist!! 

No talk of a new gear box. Iain was able to tell him which size spanner was needed and the job didn't take long . When I selected  "need assistance" from the app I got a call within minutes although the office is closed. Short time later got a call from the engineer who arrived when he said he would. Job done and we were soon on our way again. I think the already large toolkit on board will be added to soon. 😉